#31 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,608 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:37 AM

I've never really agreed with the percentage argument... if you're going to argue that if70% of the players are minority, then an equal number of coaches should be, why can't you argue that the players percentages should match that of the general population? Because neither argument makes sense, you want the best players out there not just a certain percentage of any group... same with coaches.

#32 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Maybe white NBA players, since they're the minority, deserve more consideration for roster spots.

Kiki Vandeweghe
John Paxson
Jim Paxson
Steve Kerr
Danny Ferry
Danny Ainge
Kevin McHale
Larry Bird
Mitch Kupchak
Chris Mullin

There's 10 former white NBA players who are current GMs in the league. Now give me the names of 10 former black NFL players who are GMs in the NFL. Ill even go further and allow you to include ones who arent current. Give me 10. LOL.

#33 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Before the Rooney Rule you had what? 2 black head coaches in a league that is 70% black? Its the truth. Look at NCAA football, their track record of hiring black head coaches is HORRIBLE. 119 schools, thousands of black athletes, but only 4 black head coaches. Its a joke. The NBA doesnt have a Rooney Rule. You know why? Because there's a plethora of black NBA head coaches hired and given opportunities every year. The owners dont need to police themselves because they dont have a problem finding black head coaches. NFL owners did, thats why they all (yes all 30 teams) agreed this needed to be put in place.

So because someone is black they're entitled to a shot at a job regardless of anything else? That's flat out racist and that makes me sick. How many black people are trying to compete for these coaching jobs? You do realize only 13.4% of the US is black right? What about the fact that there are no Asian or Mexican coaches?

Tony Dungy would have been an NFL head coach regardless of whether or not he was black. Same for Lovie Smith, same for Mike Tomlin, etc. Just getting an interview doesn't really do much if someone isn't willing to hire a black coach to begin with. This really does nothing to solve he issue of racism, only a problem with perception from the outside.

In fact your point about the NBA only proves what the rest of us are saying whether you want to believe it or not. Owners are gonna hire the person who is going to make them the most money or going to give them the best chance of winning.

#34 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Kiki Vandeweghe
John Paxson
Jim Paxson
Steve Kerr
Danny Ferry
Danny Ainge
Kevin McHale
Larry Bird
Mitch Kupchak
Chris Mullin

There's 10 former white NBA players who are current GMs in the league. Now give me the names of 10 former black NFL players who are GMs in the NFL. Ill even go further and allow you to include ones who arent current. Give me 10. LOL.

Give me a list of all current starting white cornerbacks, halfbacks, etc. Just because a certain race happens to be more prominent means nothing in this day and age.

Instead of straw manning, why don't you actually address the point?

#35 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

Give me a list of all current starting white cornerbacks, halfbacks, etc. Just because a certain race happens to be more prominent means nothing in this day and age.

Instead of straw manning, why don't you actually address the point?

We're not talking about opportunities on the field in this discussion. We're talking about opportunities and diversity in leadership and management. And how when it comes to that, the NBA is kicking the NFLs ass literally.

#36 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,499 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

I would love to have midgets coaching. The only problem would be if he wins the Superbowl or even a conference championship, he may drown from having the giant cooler of gatorade dumped on him. They'd have to bring in a thermos I guess.

But if he survives that, and in that moment of victory gets a ride on his teams shoulders he would finally know what life is like not sniffing others crotches all day long.

As far as the Rooney rule, I'm OK with it. But in fairness they should invite more white athletes to the Combine so they would have a fair shot at playing in the NFL. After all, the black athlete makes most of the money in the League.

#37 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

We're not talking about opportunities on the field in this discussion. We're talking about opportunities and diversity in leadership and management. And how when it comes to that, the NBA is kicking the NFLs ass literally.

Tell me, do you know for a fact that these owners are racist? Do you feel that they aren't hiring the best person for the job and going for someone white instead, and not as just speculation but as a fact?

#38 c0r

c0r

First 9

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

The % of players who are black in the NFL is completely irrelevant.

If someone is not hiring an African American coach because of his race, then that is wrong.

But, forcing teams to hire someone because of his race is equally wrong.

LOL

this is the funniest post of this thread.

and for the record, i support the rooney rule.

#39 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

I would assume, and I could be wrong, but......

If I owned a billion dollar business I think that i would hire the best candidate for the job, even if it was a parakeet.

The number of black coaches in the NFL pretty much resembles the % of African Americans in the US.

#40 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

I'd like to see how the % of Asian head coaches correlate with the % of Asians in the US.

or how the % of Hispanic head coaches represent the % of Hispanics in the US.

...glad to see that Rooney rule is really working out for one type of minority.

#41 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

Why do we not have female coaches? They're as much a minority, you know.

did you know there's no rule in the nfl against female players? they're welcome to play if they're physically competitive.

as far as female coaches, i could think of 3 or 4 from this forum that i wouldn't mind coaching the panthers.

#42 Rock_Steady

Rock_Steady

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

I support the Rooney rule as well. Coaches all started out as players. The majority of players are black. So it would stand to reason the majority of coaches are black, but...
For whatever reason, the imbalance exists and needs to be fixed.

#43 bLACKpANTHER

bLACKpANTHER

º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º

• HUDDLER
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

King T.. just let it go, you arent gunna convince anybody who just wont open their eyes.. you cant fight stupidity with logic and reasoning..

and for the record, College football needs the Rooney Rule in place this year..

#44 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

I support the Rooney rule as well. Coaches all started out as players. The majority of players are black. So it would stand to reason the majority of coaches are black, but...
For whatever reason, the imbalance exists and needs to be fixed.

so that means that since, since X % of players are black, anything less than that X coaching the league is blatant racism.

#45 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

I would assume, and I could be wrong, but......

If I owned a billion dollar business I think that i would hire the best candidate for the job, even if it was a parakeet.

The number of black coaches in the NFL pretty much resembles the % of African Americans in the US.

The percentages are brought up to show that (much like society as a whole) blacks will always be desired as a "permanent working class" (7 out of 10 of your employees are black in the NFL) but are not trusted or desired in leadership positions (1 black GM in the history of the league, 6 black head coaches). The message is, blacks are talented enough and good enough to play the game and entertain, but arent savvy or smart enough to be leaders and decision makers in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.