Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

I want to play a game.

http://www.carolinah...=1&d=1233074308

Please classify the following race/ethnicities in two groups of A)Minorities or B)Not Minorities, according to your opinion. Also give your definition of "minority", i.e. is it a racial denomination, a cultural denomination, does it represent disadvantageous groups of people.

African
Native American
Pacific Islander (Samoan, Tongan, etc)
Asian
Russian
Eastern European
Middle Eastern
North African
Irish
Indian (India)
Latin American (Mixed African, Caucasian, Amerindian)
"White" Hispanics
Italian/Sicilian
Greek
Jewish

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,455 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

Humans (A)

Non-Humans (B)

#3 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,454 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

Please classify the following race/ethnicities in two groups of A)Minorities or B)Not Minorities

A African
A Native American
A Pacific Islander (Samoan, Tongan, etc)
A Asian
B Russian
B Eastern European
A Middle Eastern
A North African
B Irish
A Indian (India)
A Latin American
A "White" Hispanics
B Italian/Sicilian
B Greek
A Israeli

according to your opinion. Also give your definition of "minority", i.e. is it a racial denomination, a cultural denomination, does it represent disadvantageous groups of people.

it is all of those things, depending on context. black is a racial minority, gay is a cultural minority, jewish is a religious minority, physically handicapped is a minority as well.

i consider it any sub-group that isn't the majority stock holder. it doesn't even necessarily have to do with numbers, it is representation and opportunity, in my opinion. everyone i marked as B are legally white.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,690 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

Depends on where you are.

#5 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

Indeed.

I find the profiling done by college admissions boards to be quite fascinating with regard to this.

I'm taking this thread WAAAAY too srsly and personally with this comment, but I find it odd that the most of "the world" will see my kids as minorities, but the college admissions boards will either hold them up to
A) as much scrutiny as a white candidate or depending on the state....

B) MORE scrutiny

How does THAT work?

#6 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

It is interesting that Africans would be considered a minority but Irish would not, even though there are many more Africans in the world than Irish. I guess it is based on one's location.

#7 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

A African
A Native American
A Asian
B Russian
B Eastern European
A Middle Eastern
A North African
B Irish
A Indian (India)
A Latin American
A "White" Hispanics
B Italian/Sicilian
B Greek
A Israeli

it is all of those things, depending on context. black is a racial minority, gay is a cultural minority, jewish is a religious minority, physically handicapped is a minority as well.

i consider it any sub-group that isn't the majority stock holder. it doesn't even necessarily have to do with numbers, it is representation and opportunity, in my opinion. everyone i marked as B are legally white.

If its based on representation and opportunity, then I am not sure I would include Indians and Asians. Based on my experience, they are well represented worldwide in both representation and opportunity. Unless you are referring to the US specifically, and even then I would say that they are represented, at least in the corporate world, in numbers greater than the percentage of the US population they make up.

#8 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,454 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

i was referring to the US only... i think Indians may seem more represented than they really are because their culture places a huge influence on specific fields. even though there is a huge number of Indian doctors, in the rest of America i'd think they face the same circumstances as most minorities.

#9 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

i was referring to the US only... i think Indians may seem more represented than they really are because their culture places a huge influence on specific fields. even though there is a huge number of Indian doctors, in the rest of America i'd think they face the same circumstances as most minorities.

My experience is that they are very well represented throughout the corporate world, especially at the executive level. Admittedly, its not a scientific observation though.

#10 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

Depends on where you are.

In Soviet Russia, minorities stereotype you!

Sorry couldn't resist.

#11 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,951 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

[ame][/ame]

#12 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

A African
A Native American
A Asian
B Russian
B Eastern European
A Middle Eastern
A North African
B Irish
A Indian (India)
A Latin American
A "White" Hispanics
B Italian/Sicilian
B Greek

A Israeli

Weird, only 100 years ago a white person would've disagreed with you on those two.

Also of note, the term "Caucasian" applies not only to European Mediterraneans but also Mediterraneans in general, this includes North Africans and even middle easterners. But in the early 1900s the term "white" would've applied to only north Europeans, Norwegians, Russians, eastern europeans and maybe Irish though they weren't even excluded from discrimination in their time.

Go to southern Italy and a lot of them get darker than Puerto Ricans or Cubans.

#13 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Also of note, the term "Caucasian" applies not only to European Mediterraneans but also Mediterraneans in general, this includes North Africans and even middle easterners.

well the caucasus mountains are in iran. 'caucasian' encompasses a lot.

#14 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

If they aren't at least as white as I am, they are a minority. Sorry whitey, but you're superior whether you like chicks or dudes.

After seeing some research on the cultural diversity of my 4 grandparents, I have come to the conclusion that the white gene is dominant in all but one area. I got a gigantic dick like all of my ***** ancestors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.