Photo
- - - - -

Those who want Cam Newton First overall...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
307 replies to this topic

#301 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

Moderators

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

even if we have the 3rd or 4th pick I have a feeling the panthers will pass on drafting Cam Newton.

#302 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

even if we have the 3rd or 4th pick I have a feeling the panthers will pass on drafting Cam Newton.

I think it's hard to say what they will do with no coaching staff in place yet.

You could be right, but I'm hoping that if we don't get Luck then we for sure get Newton.

#303 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

it depends on who the coach is, but you're more than likely correct and i will more than likely be right when i say that would be a mistake.

#304 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

HUDDLER

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

I think it's hard to say what they will do with no coaching staff in place yet.

You could be right, but I'm hoping that if we don't get Luck then we for sure get Newton.

nobody is taking Newton top 10, we need Fairley or PP if we dont get Lucky

#305 MWCarolina

MWCarolina

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

we'll most likely be changing the offense anyways. at least i hope we do. i do think that newton has a big (and accurate) arm that is pretty equal to that of ben's. he can sit back and wait or buy time for things to develop downfield and already does a little reading of defenses. i do agree that he may have to sit for a year while luck could probably start right away and do well, but if newton did start right away it wouldn't be the disaster that we have had with clausen.

well, we will change offenses, but i dont think Newton has the arm Ben has. Ben's arm was NFL ready and he read defenses in college (not good ones of course). and you agree that he will have to sit, BUT if we draft him at number one, then it's either play him or play a backup and i KNOW if we draft Newton, Clausen is gone. he will be released or traded for a 5th round pick, so that means, they would win (likely) 2 games with him. Remember they play in a division with good defenses and a coach who blitzs (Gregg Williams) and Williams will blitz Newton and i dont think Newton would read them that well as a first year starter.

i also disagree with the idea that he wouldn't be able to pull off the type of running he did at auburn in the pros. he's got as much running ability and power as any RB coming out of college.

As for this, Newton's running is VERY similar to Vince Young's and Vince Young isnt running around like he did in college, he is now a passing quarterback who is immature. i dont see Newton running like he did in college. If Newton can run with power, so can The Golden Calf of Bristol, however, if The Golden Calf of Bristol can't, Newton in my book wont be able to. Newton will have to use speed to get by NFL defenses and i dont think he has that, i am a fan of Newton and think (in time) he could be good, but i am not a fan of starting him on day one.

i rather gamble on Jake Locker than Cam Newton and if you cant get Locker and Luck stays in school, wait a year and if Clausen still stinks it up like everyone thinks, than they should get Luck in 2012 and then they would likely have a better recieving corps for Luck too, I just dont think Newton is worth the risk at number one especially when he will HAVE to start on day one unless the panthers trade or sign McNabb which i also wouldnt do.

nobody is taking Newton top 10, we need Fairley or PP if we dont get Lucky

If we dont get Luck we should look at Fairley, Patrick Peterson and AJ Green and like i said, if the pathers stink in 2011 they will be in perfect position to get Luck again.

#306 scpanther22

scpanther22

HUDDLER

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

I think its BPA..no matter who the coach is.

#307 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

Here is the real question to me as to drafting Cam Newton over Luck or with the number one overall or to draft him in the first round.

Who does his talents corolate with more? Ben Rothlisberger and Donavan McNabb or Steve Young and Mihael Vick.

To me, the thing that the Panthers can't afford is to have to wait for a QB to develop over a long strech of time. I took Vick years to figure out how to use his talents and Young spent time in Tampa and then behind Montana for years before being getting the starting position. Both ended up being great but not right out of the draft.

Rothlisberger and McNabb showed that they had the ability to translate their game to the pro-level very quickly and that translated to championships as well. (allbeit Philly never won the superbowl their four-year run in the NFCCG was very impressive.)

Based on what I have seen in college, Newton has the talents to be a successful pro QB but also has relied on his running more often than his arm. Rothlisberger and McNabb never showed that in college. Vick and Young did.

Newton could very easily end up like Steve Young. Starting out on a team that needs his arm more than his legs, precieved a bust and then spends years waiting for another opportunity to start.

I just don't think Carolina can wait for a QB to develop. That is what will happen if they stay with Clausen. And it could happen if they draft either Luck or Newton. However, out of the two, Luck seems to more of a Matt Ryan type of QB who can come in right away and improve the team with his arm.

Now, if let's say the Panthers and their new coach were to sign a vetern QB that could truely bridge the gap for a couple of years until Newton was ready i.e. Donavan McNabb or Carson Palmer, then it's a completely different story.

#308 MWCarolina

MWCarolina

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

Here is the real question to me as to drafting Cam Newton over Luck or with the number one overall or to draft him in the first round.

yep, i agree. that is the question you ask

Who does his talents corolate with more? Ben Rothlisberger and Donavan McNabb or Steve Young and Mihael Vick.

again, very true.

Based on what I have seen in college, Newton has the talents to be a successful pro QB but also has relied on his running more often than his arm. Rothlisberger and McNabb never showed that in college. Vick and Young did.

that is what i have noticed too, i mean, he did throw some, but he did an awful lot of running and (unlike Vick) he's not as fast, not sure about how fast he is compared to Young though. i think Luck is like Ben however. People MIS-judge Luck's running. he can run. that is why he reminds me of Ben more than Newton, Ben's not really that fast and Luck isnt that fast, but he can run when he has to.

I just don't think Carolina can wait for a QB to develop. That is what will happen if they stay with Clausen. And it could happen if they draft either Luck or Newton. However, out of the two, Luck seems to more of a Matt Ryan type of QB who can come in right away and improve the team with his arm..

yep true, however, i think Luck has more potential than Clausen and Newton, as for Newton, i think he has potential, but i dont think he's ready to start right away.

Now, if let's say the Panthers and their new coach were to sign a vetern QB that could truely bridge the gap for a couple of years until Newton was ready i.e. Donavan McNabb or Carson Palmer, then it's a completely different story.

true, but like i said, do you sign McNabb?? he didnt really have a great year in Washington and (knowing the Redskins well), i have seen McNabb too and he's been on and off.