96 replies to this topic

#46 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,750 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Ima gonna go buy a Clausen jersey to be safe, they should be cheap, right?

#47 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationRTP

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

All this nonsense chatter about the Panthers taking Luck amuses me, especially since none of us has any clue who our next head coach is going to be.

Someone will have to explain to us why it would be reasonably likely that Richardson would agree with what would amount to failure in the 2010 draft, and then approve of hiring a head coach that wanted to take yet another QB in the 2011 draft. Especially since our offensive line has permitted more sacks than 30 other teams. How can any coach, much less a fan, shout out a confident evaluation of our rookie quarterbacks when they all performed equally poor behind exceptionally inadequate protection?

Secondly, even a bad offensive line is going to have the element of surprise from time to time if the offensive plays are not obvious to opposing defenses, but they are.

The CBA will govern all of it. If the cap returns lower, there will be free agents available, and we will have an active free agency which totally changes the draft depending on which veteran is available. If the cap returns higher, then there will be less free agents available, and we'll have more problems to address with rookies. In this case, it seems to me that we'd address our worst positions: DT or OG

#48 DevilCat

DevilCat

Two States One Team

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Got to be sandbagging. Sure Hurney pass over Luck. That will energize the Carolinas....if you are sick and tired of all the steeler crap on peoples's cars around here, then pass over Luck or Newton, that will win over the bandwagoners.

#49 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,087 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

I would rather we take Petterson, Darreus, or Fairley over Newton.

Newton reminds me of The Golden Calf of Bristol and Young...and both are not goign to be a top QB.

#50 HSCBandit07

HSCBandit07

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

Isn't it our philosophy to always take the BPA in the draft? Hurney would be going against his own standard not to take luck

#51 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

All this nonsense chatter about the Panthers taking Luck amuses me, especially since none of us has any clue who our next head coach is going to be.

Someone will have to explain to us why it would be reasonably likely that Richardson would agree with what would amount to failure in the 2010 draft, and then approve of hiring a head coach that wanted to take yet another QB in the 2011 draft. Especially since our offensive line has permitted more sacks than 30 other teams. How can any coach, much less a fan, shout out a confident evaluation of our rookie quarterbacks when they all performed equally poor behind exceptionally inadequate protection?

Secondly, even a bad offensive line is going to have the element of surprise from time to time if the offensive plays are not obvious to opposing defenses, but they are.

The CBA will govern all of it. If the cap returns lower, there will be free agents available, and we will have an active free agency which totally changes the draft depending on which veteran is available. If the cap returns higher, then there will be less free agents available, and we'll have more problems to address with rookies. In this case, it seems to me that we'd address our worst positions: DT or OG

You can't name one DT worthy of the #1 pick. You MIGHT be able to argue for Fairley or Dareus around 4 or 5, but only because of what a shitty draft it is for DT.

If anyone drafts a G in the top 15 they deserve to lose their franchise.

The "lol trade down" talk amuses me. The fans of every team say the same thing year in and year out and it almost never happens because, between the amount of picks plus the huge contract, it's very rarely worth it to move up. If we're so determined to do so that we don't get top value, Hurney has fans screaming even more about what a fuging idiot he is regarding draft day trades.

As for the "we'd never give up on a early pick" nonsense.. Shelton, Jarrett, Ellison, Irvin. All were early picks that either we didn't play or we parted with quickly because they sucked. No one is saying we have to execute Clausen on the 50 yard line or cut him the second we bring in more talent at QB. He just wouldn't be playing unless he proved he has the ability.

As for the "how can you tell blah blah QB when the OL sucks", name two positives about Clausen's game that give you hope for the future. Is it the way he pisses himself and runs screaming .6 seconds after the snap? The noodle arm? The decision to lob it into row C on 3rd down when his first read isn't open? His amazing 1 TD pass this season? The awe-inspiring leadership as he stares into the middle distance and doesn't interact with anyone on the sideline? His low delivery? Maybe his windup whenever he has to throw deep?

With the QB talent in our division, I'm sure we'll be ok pinning our hopes on "BUT MAYBE HE'LL TURN OUT DECENT ALL WE NEED IS A GAME MANAGER LOL".

Edited by Sloth, 14 December 2010 - 04:32 PM.

#52 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

I see we're getting an early start on the pre-draft posturing.

(Does nobody here play Poker?)

#53 HSCBandit07

HSCBandit07

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

So the Patriots picked up Louis Leonard. Looks like he will get a SB ring this year. Isn't life grand.

#54 Jbro

Jbro

BBW GFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

smoke and mirrors

Why the hell would you need to play that game when you are the 1st one picking?

#55 FuzzyDuck13

FuzzyDuck13

• HUDDLER
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

Exactly, if anything the chance of not being picked #1 will make him not declare even more.

#56 pepaw

pepaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

Here's the conversation that should take place if we get the number one pick and Luck comes out:

JR:Sit Down
MH:Okay.
JR: So who are you taking with the first overall pick in the draft?
MH: We'll were gonna consider our options...
JR: You're fired. Get the fug out of my office.

If the answer does not begin with Andrew and end with Luck. Then Hurney should be fired. It is not a matter of debate but one of acceptance.

#57 KatsAzz

KatsAzz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

Here's the conversation that should take place if we get the number one pick and Luck comes out:

JR:Sit Down
MH:Okay.
JR: So who are you taking with the first overall pick in the draft?
MH: We'll were gonna consider our options...
JR: You're fired. Get the fug out of my office.

If the answer does not begin with Andrew and end with Luck. Then Hurney should be fired. It is not a matter of debate but one of acceptance.

Laughs my azz off!!! Now that was some funny stuff but also the way JR should approach Hurney at draft time. :)

#58 KBRed

KBRed

Scooter Swag

• HUDDLER
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

I don't know why you guys are so worried. Marty and the Panthers organization have a strong record of finding quality quarterbacks and developing them properly.

#59 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

We're not guaranteed to be the first one picking, at least not yet.

But even if we were, let's say we get a new QB. Wouldn't you like to keep your options open for what you do with your old one?

#60 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

We're not guaranteed to be the first one picking, at least not yet.

But even if we were, let's say we get a new QB. Wouldn't you like to keep your options open for what you do with your old one?

In all honestly, a new coach next season with a 100% new QB roster wouldn't be that bad of a thing.

I haven't totally closed the door yet on Clausen here in Carolina....but it could shut in the next 3 games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.