Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Htar

Obama's speech to the Arab world

58 posts in this topic

What is US / Islam relations? Do you mean US / Middle East relations? Posts like yours make me confident in my vote for Mr. Obama, what he has accomplished in his first week with the Middle East and his dialogue is far greater than what the magnificent Bush accomplished in his 8 years of rein.

You do realize he hasn't actually accomplished anything yet? Making a speech is not actually accomplishing anything.

Israel and Gaza aren't fighting. He should receive as much credit for that as Bush supporters would require Dubya be given if it had happened under his watch

You do realize he hasn't actually accomplished anything yet? Making a speech is not actually accomplishing anything.

The fact that he is considering dialogue over the Bush method of just dropping bombs shows that he is light years ahead of Bush. The fact that he would sit down and talk with Ahmadinejad shows how sophisticated he is in place of the close minded Bush

The fact that he is considering dialogue over the Bush method of just dropping bombs shows that he is light years ahead of Bush. The fact that he would sit down and talk with Ahmadinejad shows how sophisticated he is in place of the close minded Bush
Do you honestly believe that talking to Ahmadinejad would do any good? He's a puppet. He doesn't run Iran.

Do you honestly believe that talking to Ahmadinejad would do any good? He's a puppet. He doesn't run Iran.

I believe in diplomacy rather than risk young American men and women to fight a war just so stubborn politicians get their way. Ahmadinejad has made ridiculous comments but he is not retarded, he knows if he even flinches towards I$rael that the Israel with its air supremacy would wipe out half the country in a matter of days. I like to think that with open dialogue there will be more success stories like Libya / Ghaddafi then the blunder of Iraq and Hussein.

I seriously doubt he will sit down with Ahmadinejad until some kind of agreement is already in place regarding differences with Iran is already in place. If he does, he is ignoring established diplomatic protocols, and will likely accomplish little except to elevate Ahmadinejad to a status he doesn't deserve.

I believe in diplomacy rather than risk young American men and women to fight a war just so stubborn politicians get their way. Ahmadinejad has made ridiculous comments but he is not retarded, he knows if he even flinches towards I$rael that the Israel with its air supremacy would wipe out half the country in a matter of days. I like to think that with open dialogue there will be more success stories like Libya / Ghaddafi then the blunder of Iraq and Hussein.

With respect to Iran, they are not prepared to make the same commitments as Libya did or they would have already done them. Libya not only renounced terrorism but they agreed to dismantle their nuclear program, something the Iranians aren't going to do. As for Iraq, yes it was a mess, but Iraq is going to be better off in the future as will the rest of the world. Hussein was a prick by first invading Kuwait, then surrendering, and not following through with the terms of surrender. Do I think we should have gone to war because of that? No. I think we should have taken Hussein out the first time around when we were already there.

In any case, I don't believe the Iranian president can do anything. I'm still convinced that the "Supreme Ruler" or whatever they call it over there is the one in charge. Iran has close ties to Hamas and they will never peacefully give up their nuclear weapons program. They want to destroy Israel...it's in their charter for crying out loud. Iran will eventually develop nuclear weapons and Hamas will be the one to smuggle one into Israel and detonate it. It's just a matter of time.

The Bro totally out of touch wit the world. Maybe he find he way in a year or two,.

20-30 years ago we were giving them weapons to fight the Soviets, so I see what he's saying

How can YOU see with your head soooo far up your ass?

the iranian hostage crisis was more anti-US imperialism than a islam v the west thing hth

Diplomacy is OK as long as there are certain concessions made by our enemies in that region. But I believe expecting any type of honorable commitment from any of those people is a crackpipe dream. Those governments are based on islamic laws and traditions...Muslims do not have to barter in good faith with non-muslims.

and he claims that US/Islam relations were good 20-30 years ago...WHAT? I think 444 days of captivity in Iran 30 years ago contradict that. Is it that Obama is just not that engaged?

That was really a pretty dumb statement. One week into his reign and he's making statements that make Bush look like a Rhodes Scholar!

In fairness, he was speaking to a Saudi owned news network, which means the message was mostly intended for Arabs. Iran is Persian, not Arab. I wonder if they even receive reports from this particular network.