Photo
- - - - -

Obama's speech to the Arab world

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#16 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

The fact that he is considering dialogue over the Bush method of just dropping bombs shows that he is light years ahead of Bush. The fact that he would sit down and talk with Ahmadinejad shows how sophisticated he is in place of the close minded Bush

Do you honestly believe that talking to Ahmadinejad would do any good? He's a puppet. He doesn't run Iran.

#17 charlottenian

charlottenian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

Do you honestly believe that talking to Ahmadinejad would do any good? He's a puppet. He doesn't run Iran.

I believe in diplomacy rather than risk young American men and women to fight a war just so stubborn politicians get their way. Ahmadinejad has made ridiculous comments but he is not retarded, he knows if he even flinches towards I$rael that the Israel with its air supremacy would wipe out half the country in a matter of days. I like to think that with open dialogue there will be more success stories like Libya / Ghaddafi then the blunder of Iraq and Hussein.

#18 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,486 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

The fact that he is considering dialogue over the Bush method of just dropping bombs shows that he is light years ahead of Bush. The fact that he would sit down and talk with Ahmadinejad shows how sophisticated he is in place of the close minded Bush

I seriously doubt he will sit down with Ahmadinejad until some kind of agreement is already in place regarding differences with Iran is already in place. If he does, he is ignoring established diplomatic protocols, and will likely accomplish little except to elevate Ahmadinejad to a status he doesn't deserve.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 27 January 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#19 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

I believe in diplomacy rather than risk young American men and women to fight a war just so stubborn politicians get their way. Ahmadinejad has made ridiculous comments but he is not retarded, he knows if he even flinches towards I$rael that the Israel with its air supremacy would wipe out half the country in a matter of days. I like to think that with open dialogue there will be more success stories like Libya / Ghaddafi then the blunder of Iraq and Hussein.

With respect to Iran, they are not prepared to make the same commitments as Libya did or they would have already done them. Libya not only renounced terrorism but they agreed to dismantle their nuclear program, something the Iranians aren't going to do. As for Iraq, yes it was a mess, but Iraq is going to be better off in the future as will the rest of the world. Hussein was a prick by first invading Kuwait, then surrendering, and not following through with the terms of surrender. Do I think we should have gone to war because of that? No. I think we should have taken Hussein out the first time around when we were already there.

In any case, I don't believe the Iranian president can do anything. I'm still convinced that the "Supreme Ruler" or whatever they call it over there is the one in charge. Iran has close ties to Hamas and they will never peacefully give up their nuclear weapons program. They want to destroy Israel...it's in their charter for crying out loud. Iran will eventually develop nuclear weapons and Hamas will be the one to smuggle one into Israel and detonate it. It's just a matter of time.

#20 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

The Bro totally out of touch wit the world. Maybe he find he way in a year or two,.

#21 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

20-30 years ago we were giving them weapons to fight the Soviets, so I see what he's saying

How can YOU see with your head soooo far up your ass?

#22 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

the iranian hostage crisis was more anti-US imperialism than a islam v the west thing hth

#23 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Diplomacy is OK as long as there are certain concessions made by our enemies in that region. But I believe expecting any type of honorable commitment from any of those people is a crackpipe dream. Those governments are based on islamic laws and traditions...Muslims do not have to barter in good faith with non-muslims.

#24 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,486 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

and he claims that US/Islam relations were good 20-30 years ago...WHAT? I think 444 days of captivity in Iran 30 years ago contradict that. Is it that Obama is just not that engaged?

That was really a pretty dumb statement. One week into his reign and he's making statements that make Bush look like a Rhodes Scholar!

In fairness, he was speaking to a Saudi owned news network, which means the message was mostly intended for Arabs. Iran is Persian, not Arab. I wonder if they even receive reports from this particular network.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 27 January 2009 - 09:58 PM.

#25 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

the iranian hostage crisis was more anti-US imperialism than a islam v the west thing hth

I'm sorry, how could I forget...It's always OUR fault!

#26 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

All that education. No common sense.

#27 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,486 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

I'm sorry, how could I forget...It's always OUR fault!

We did certainly play a role in the events leading up to the hostage crisis, although not as great a role as some may think. Some people give the CIA way to much credit irt to overthrowing governments, especially in a Muslim country.

There were powerful people in Iran who wanted to bring back the Shah in 1953. The British and the US provided them with some assistance in order to prevent the Soviets from gaining more influence in Iran, but its debabable as to whether that assistance was critical. IMO, it was Mossadeq's secular policies, which turned Shia clerics against him, that played the most important part in the coup his ouster. Just as the Shia clerics replaced the Shah when they grew tired of him.

#28 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

Israel and Gaza aren't fighting. He should receive as much credit for that as Bush supporters would require Dubya be given if it had happened under his watch

http://news.yahoo.co...el_palestinians

SS,DD

#29 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Diplomacy is OK as long as there are certain concessions made by our enemies in that region. But I believe expecting any type of honorable commitment from any of those people is a crackpipe dream. Those governments are based on islamic laws and traditions...Muslims do not have to barter in good faith with non-muslims.

So diplomacy is OK as long as we get our way and screw anything else they say...They must do exactly what we say! Ahhh the good ol' days of Bush diplomacy. God forbid we listen and try to understand where they are coming from and meet in the middle. weve only been meddeling in Mid. East Politics since ww1.

#30 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

How can YOU see with your head soooo far up your ass?

Excuse me, but if you want to disagree with me, that's fine. Post a differing opinion. And go fug yourself

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com