57 replies to this topic

#31 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,792 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

I'm sorry, how could I forget...It's always OUR fault!

Before you say dumb things, ask yourself, Is Iran sending ships off of our coast? How much influence has Iran had on our government in terms of who controls it in the past 50 years, or even forever?

We are the big dog, we have interests over there, and sometimes they conflict with others. Of course we will get blamed for a lot of things, and sometimes it will even be our "fault".

#32 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

Before you say dumb things, ask yourself, Is Iran sending ships off of our coast? How much influence has Iran had on our government in terms of who controls it in the past 50 years, or even forever?

We are the big dog, we have interests over there, and sometimes they conflict with others. Of course we will get blamed for a lot of things, and sometimes it will even be our "fault".

Yeah, but here's what kills me.

Group of college age kids take a bunch of innocent people hostage and keep them for more than a year, with the new religious leader's blessing.

You liberals will take the long walk around the obvious...doing whatever you can to blame anything and everything on authority...especially the big, bad U.S. government...rather than just blame the Ayatollah and the people who are actually doing the hostage taking. It was our fault because we supported the Shah. So if we support the new regime, what happens when 100 years down the road women there revolt and blame us for supporting a regime that treats women like garbage? Is it our fault all over again?

I'm not a Christian, and I hate church being involved in government in any way, shape, or form. But you guys have this amazing paranoia that Christianity is out to take away your rights. Then, when we deal with a religion that truly DOES take away people's rights, out come the kid gloves. What gives?

#33 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,855 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

sigmund be honest with yourself

on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being cooter and 10 being juan cole, just how much do you actually know about the fall of the shah and the iranian revolution, because right now you seem to be hovering at a steady 2

#34 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

sigmund be honest with yourself

on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being cooter and 10 being juan cole, just how much do you actually know about the fall of the shah and the iranian revolution, because right now you seem to be hovering at a steady 2

One of my best friends in high school was from Iran. His father was interrogated by Khomeini's people because he was very wealthy under the Shah.

He's on my Facebook if you'd like to hear his side of it. Or just keep getting your knowledge online, whatever.

#35 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,855 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

okay so you know someone who was from iran.

still you don't really exhibit any knowledge of what actually happened, and what drove the revolution, and for some reason feel bringing an islam - christianity comparison into it was appropriate.

#36 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

okay so you know someone who was from iran.

still you don't really exhibit any knowledge of what actually happened, and what drove the revolution, and for some reason feel bringing an islam - christianity comparison into it was appropriate.

He's still from Iran. His dad just passed away but his mom still lives there. He and four brothers came over here about 20 years ago and they have all stayed here.

So it's kind of funny to see some guy like yourself posture as some expert on all things Iran when I have heard differently from people who actually grew up there and left right before the shiite hit the fan.

#37 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,792 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

I'm not blaming anyone, why the hell has this become the conservative mantra lately? I just said that we are not just a bunch of innocents who stumbled into these events.

#38 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,855 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

hmmm yes i wonder what someone who made money under the shah would have to say about the country. im sure it would have been very unbiased.

and no i don't have "AN IRANIAN FRIEND" but i do have a minor in middle eastern history and policy so i at least know the actual series of events which seems much more than you can claim.

#39 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

hmmm yes i wonder what someone who made money under the shah would have to say about the country. im sure it would have been very unbiased.

and no i don't have "AN IRANIAN FRIEND" but i do have a minor in middle eastern history and policy so i at least know the actual series of events which seems much more than you can claim.

Apparently you aren't familiar with the actual hostage crisis. I lived through it and I know what it did to this country. The day Jimmy Carter was officially out of office was a lot like the day W was out last week. Lots of smiles across America.

You read a textbook.

Edited by Sigmund the Sea Monster, 28 January 2009 - 01:23 PM.

#40 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,792 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

A former coworker of mine was living there with his parents when he was 17, and had to leave before the crap hit the fan. There were a few very rich people who were in fact not really living the strict Muslim lifestyle, while the rest of the population lived in some fairly poor circumstances for the most part. Revolution was a matter of time. It's economics that drive religious revolution, and the man in the streets perception of where they stand in the world on that account is the root cause of all the problems we face. It's easy to say that Christians support Jews who want to drive us from our land, and it is easy to say that Muslims all support terrorists that "hate us and want to kill us all".

#41 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,530 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

what he has accomplished in his first week with the Middle East and his dialogue is far greater than what the magnificent Bush accomplished in his 8 years of rein.

you cant be serious.

#42 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,792 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

In all fairness, charlottenian was not counting tonnage of bombs dropped in his figures.

#43 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

A former coworker of mine was living there with his parents when he was 17, and had to leave before the crap hit the fan. There were a few very rich people who were in fact not really living the strict Muslim lifestyle, while the rest of the population lived in some fairly poor circumstances for the most part. Revolution was a matter of time. It's economics that drive religious revolution, and the man in the streets perception of where they stand in the world on that account is the root cause of all the problems we face. It's easy to say that Christians support Jews who want to drive us from our land, and it is easy to say that Muslims all support terrorists that "hate us and want to kill us all".

I don't believe Muslims all support terrorists, but I do believe they are threatened by our culture. They want to keep their women subservient and their lifestyle extremely simple. That is the root cause of all our problems.

#44 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,792 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

Sounds like the US 100-120 years ago.

#45 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

Sounds like the US 100-120 years ago.

Sounds a lot like Native Americans to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.