Photo
- - - - -

Obama's speech to the Arab world

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#25 Htar

Htar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

the iranian hostage crisis was more anti-US imperialism than a islam v the west thing hth

I'm sorry, how could I forget...It's always OUR fault!

#26 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

the iranian hostage crisis was more anti-US imperialism than a islam v the west thing hth

All that education. No common sense.

#27 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

We did certainly play a role in the events leading up to the hostage crisis, although not as great a role as some may think. Some people give the CIA way to much credit irt to overthrowing governments, especially in a Muslim country.

There were powerful people in Iran who wanted to bring back the Shah in 1953. The British and the US provided them with some assistance in order to prevent the Soviets from gaining more influence in Iran, but its debabable as to whether that assistance was critical. IMO, it was Mossadeq's secular policies, which turned Shia clerics against him, that played the most important part in the coup his ouster. Just as the Shia clerics replaced the Shah when they grew tired of him.

#28 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

HUDDLER

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

Israel and Gaza aren't fighting. He should receive as much credit for that as Bush supporters would require Dubya be given if it had happened under his watch

http://news.yahoo.co...el_palestinians

SS,DD

#29 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Diplomacy is OK as long as there are certain concessions made by our enemies in that region. But I believe expecting any type of honorable commitment from any of those people is a crackpipe dream. Those governments are based on islamic laws and traditions...Muslims do not have to barter in good faith with non-muslims.

So diplomacy is OK as long as we get our way and screw anything else they say...They must do exactly what we say! Ahhh the good ol' days of Bush diplomacy. God forbid we listen and try to understand where they are coming from and meet in the middle. weve only been meddeling in Mid. East Politics since ww1.

#30 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

How can YOU see with your head soooo far up your ass?

Excuse me, but if you want to disagree with me, that's fine. Post a differing opinion. And go fug yourself

#31 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

Before you say dumb things, ask yourself, Is Iran sending ships off of our coast? How much influence has Iran had on our government in terms of who controls it in the past 50 years, or even forever?

We are the big dog, we have interests over there, and sometimes they conflict with others. Of course we will get blamed for a lot of things, and sometimes it will even be our "fault".

#32 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

Before you say dumb things, ask yourself, Is Iran sending ships off of our coast? How much influence has Iran had on our government in terms of who controls it in the past 50 years, or even forever?

We are the big dog, we have interests over there, and sometimes they conflict with others. Of course we will get blamed for a lot of things, and sometimes it will even be our "fault".

Yeah, but here's what kills me.

Group of college age kids take a bunch of innocent people hostage and keep them for more than a year, with the new religious leader's blessing.

You liberals will take the long walk around the obvious...doing whatever you can to blame anything and everything on authority...especially the big, bad U.S. government...rather than just blame the Ayatollah and the people who are actually doing the hostage taking. It was our fault because we supported the Shah. So if we support the new regime, what happens when 100 years down the road women there revolt and blame us for supporting a regime that treats women like garbage? Is it our fault all over again?

I'm not a Christian, and I hate church being involved in government in any way, shape, or form. But you guys have this amazing paranoia that Christianity is out to take away your rights. Then, when we deal with a religion that truly DOES take away people's rights, out come the kid gloves. What gives?

#33 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

sigmund be honest with yourself

on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being cooter and 10 being juan cole, just how much do you actually know about the fall of the shah and the iranian revolution, because right now you seem to be hovering at a steady 2

#34 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

sigmund be honest with yourself

on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being cooter and 10 being juan cole, just how much do you actually know about the fall of the shah and the iranian revolution, because right now you seem to be hovering at a steady 2

One of my best friends in high school was from Iran. His father was interrogated by Khomeini's people because he was very wealthy under the Shah.

He's on my Facebook if you'd like to hear his side of it. Or just keep getting your knowledge online, whatever.

#35 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

okay so you know someone who was from iran.

still you don't really exhibit any knowledge of what actually happened, and what drove the revolution, and for some reason feel bringing an islam - christianity comparison into it was appropriate.

#36 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

okay so you know someone who was from iran.

still you don't really exhibit any knowledge of what actually happened, and what drove the revolution, and for some reason feel bringing an islam - christianity comparison into it was appropriate.

He's still from Iran. His dad just passed away but his mom still lives there. He and four brothers came over here about 20 years ago and they have all stayed here.

So it's kind of funny to see some guy like yourself posture as some expert on all things Iran when I have heard differently from people who actually grew up there and left right before the shiite hit the fan.