Photo
- - - - -

US Senator ask Microsoft about laying off foreign workers first.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,443 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

Republican Senator sends letter to Ballmer

U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, has sent a letter to Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer expressing concern over how the company may go about its layoffs.

"I am concerned that Microsoft will be retaining foreign guest workers rather than similarly qualified American employees when it implements its layoff plan," Grassley said in the letter, posted to his Web site on Friday.

The company announced plans Thursday to cut a net 2,000 to 3,000 jobs over the next 18 months, its first companywide layoff. An initial wave of 1,400 job cuts were effective Friday.

The senator asked Ballmer for details on the jobs to be eliminated; how many are held by H-1B or other work-visa-program employees; how many are held by Americans and, of those positions, how many similar positions held by foreign guest workers are being retained; and how many H-1B or other work-visa-program workers Microsoft will retain when the layoff is complete.

"My point is that during a layoff, companies should not be retaining H-1B or other work-visa-program employees over qualified American workers," Grassley wrote.

I do agree with the move, since the H-1B visas are indeed meant to fill positions that a company cannot fill with qualified americans, but I wonder when the charges of racism will come out?

Probably doesn't matter anyway. Most of the H1 positions are contractors, and contractors are usually the first ones to go during a layoff.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 27 January 2009 - 09:48 PM.

#2 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Keeping American jobs American would make to much sense.

#3 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

It's about time they started caring about all these outsourced jobs.

#4 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,513 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:16 AM

WTF has happened to the Republican party. At least in the past you could hold your nose and vote for them for economic reasons and then crap like this?

It's none of your god damn business who I do and do not fire so long as I don't start taking race or creed into account instead of merit.

It's my job to hire the best people and get the most out of the while maxiumizing profits. It's your job to make sure the roads get paved, I don't exploit workers and the mail gets delivered on time.

Bunch of bush league populist nonsense.

#5 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,443 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:50 AM

WTF has happened to the Republican party. At least in the past you could hold your nose and vote for them for economic reasons and then crap like this?

It's none of your god damn business who I do and do not fire so long as I don't start taking race or creed into account instead of merit.

It's my job to hire the best people and get the most out of the while maxiumizing profits. It's your job to make sure the roads get paved, I don't exploit workers and the mail gets delivered on time.

Bunch of bush league populist nonsense.

Like I said, the H1 visa's are only issued if a company indicates it cannot fill a position with qualified American workers. So based on that requirement, its a legitimate question for the government to ask. Although perhaps the Senator should have gone to the INS first, to find out exactly what the rules are.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 28 January 2009 - 06:58 AM.

#6 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,513 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

It's a legit question for the issuer of the visas to askshould they see something amiss with the way the visas are being used It is not a legit question for a Senator to be publically asking.

Wonder what people would say if we put quotas on how much product consumers could buy that was made overseas?

"Sorry sir, we can't let you buy that Toby Keith American flag hat as that puts you over your limit of Chinese made product for the year."

#7 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

I used to work at a fortune 500 company and was in charge of overseeing the H1B process between the hiring managers and the immigration attorneys of the company.

Couple of things.

1. If retaining the services of a contractor that has a H1B, no further work is needed. A third party is sponsoring them, and its their problem. You can hire anyone you want at any time and the same goes with firing.

2. If you want to bring on a full time employee, you must transfer the H1B to your own company. In doing so, you are required by law to place ads and seek US Citizens for the job for 30 days before you can hire the H1B full time. You have to prove US workers could not be found. Of course, in 99% of the cases, I could find US workers, but the immigrant workers were around 30% cheaper, who do you think got hired?

#8 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

contractors are usually the first ones to go during a layoff.

Used to be the case, not so much anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.