46 replies to this topic

#16 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

Did anyone seriously think a 900 billion stimulus package would not have pork from both sides attached?

Still let's wait till at least the thing gets through Congress before we start bitching and moaning.

Wouldn't it then be too late.
I hate the pound of cure route.

#17 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

That is true. I think this thread is what prevented Congress from giving ACORN 4 billion dollars.

#18 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,946 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

Did anyone seriously think a 900 billion stimulus package would not have pork from both sides attached?

Still let's wait till at least the thing gets through Congress before we start bitching and moaning.

It's not just a little. The more I read, the more I see this thing as being a pork bonanza.

The Democrats are figuring that they can spend money on pretty much anything they want as long as they frame it to be "stimulus". I don't consider "neighborhood stabilization" to be an economic stimulus anymore than I do family planning. Pelosi's already been shot down. Won't be surprised if this is too. That isn't really the point.

By taking this path, the Democrats are showing themselves to be poor students of history. In this case, recent history.

Part of the reason the Republicans are no longer in power is they got drunk with it after winning and thought they could do anything. The Democrats are starting on the same route.

Given the party's propensity for spending, this could turn into the biggest shopping spree ever.

#19 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

Do you think any of these crazy items in the package are just "Red Herrings" placed there by the Dems just to be taken out? Then they can claim they are reaching out too work with the Republicans. Just sounds like a pretty good chess move to me. The Dems win 3 ways....either they get the money or they say we tried and the nasty Reps. took it out and they get credit for being bipartisan.

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,946 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Do you think any of these crazy items in the package are just "Red Herrings" placed there by the Dems just to be taken out? Then they can claim they are reaching out too work with the Republicans. Just sounds like a pretty good chess move to me. The Dems win 3 ways....either they get the money or they say we tried and the nasty Reps. took it out and they get credit for being bipartisan.

Doubt it. Pelosi summed it up with a "we won, we can do what we want" type comment. Technically true, but kinda stupid to say in public.

#21 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,888 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

...or explain how giving 4 billion dollars to ACORN is "economic stimulus"?

(and the 'b' there is not a typo; it's billion)

i guess that was the payment amount settled on when ACORN decided to help give obama an "edge" in the voting proccess.

#22 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,898 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

Partly because of the role of Acorn and other housing advocacy groups, the White House and its allies in Congress resisted Democrats’ plans to include money for a new affordable-housing trust fund and $4 billion in grants to restore housing in devastated neighborhoods. In the end, the money stayed in the bill; the White House saw little choice.

#23 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Once it gets through Congress, it's too late to stop the train ... why should we wait in questioning what our government wants to spend our money on?

#24 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

Once it gets through Congress, it's too late to stop the train ... why should we wait in questioning what our government wants to spend our money on?

I'd love to see what pork from the right side is attached.

#25 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

I'd love to see what pork from the right side is attached.

Me, too ... but it's a Dem bill.

#26 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,946 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Heard a figure that says close to 90% of the spending is going to projects that don't start till 2011. How is that supposed to stimulate the current economy?

Starting to sound like this is nearly all pork.

#27 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

Specially that 4 billion going right into ACORN's pockets!!!!

#28 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,726 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

Acorn

#29 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,969 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

I wonder if one of our furriest mods is behind this...

#30 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,726 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

I wonder if one of our furriest mods is behind this...

You might be on to something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com