Photo
- - - - -

Clausen Poll .....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:02 AM

a) Clausen is terrible because he is ...well.... terrible.

B) Clausen is terrible because he is playing behind a suspect OL, has 1 veteran WR with a hurt hand, and has Jeff Davidson calling plays.

What say you?

#2 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,457 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

I will say (B)...with a caveat.

Clausen's horrible play does have a lot to do with the other circunstances you mentioned. However, I do not see anythign in his game, or get the feeling that he is a franchise QB.

He may turn out to be good, but I doubt he will ever be great.

#3 D34Williams

D34Williams

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

Both are made true until B is made false, then A can be declared true or false.

#4 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

Clausen is struggling because he is a rookie, on an offense with several rookies in key positions, and a oline that has struggled in large part due to injuries. He also has a couple of flaws in his mechanics that need to be fixed or overcome. I am not convinced he is a future NFL starter, but I am not convinced he is not a future NFL starter either. The jury is still out.

#5 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

A bit of each, but we all saw improvement yesterday when the o line actually helped him out.

Im not ready to throw the guy under the bus.

I think next year with a new set of coaches we might be suprised at how good he is.

Edited by Hairless Cat, 20 December 2010 - 08:13 AM.

#6 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

My biggest concern with Clausen is his extremely slow release. That needs to be corrected by a legit NFL QB coach....

#7 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,007 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

B) The Coaches don't trust him and they have undermined his confidence. But there probably is a little a) in there too...

#8 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

Why is the "rookie" excuse okay to pin on Clausen but the remaining rookies on the field don't seem to be having problems... unless those problems are specifically related to the QB getting them the ball.

The 3rd down and 17 5-yard pass play is not a rookie issue- it's an issue of him checking down the vast majority of the time.

#9 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

a) Clausen is terrible because he is ...well.... terrible.

B) Clausen is terrible because he is playing behind a suspect OL, has 1 veteran WR with a hurt hand, and has Jeff Davidson calling plays.

What say you?

Can't rule on Clausen until B) is shored up in their pass protection. So far, I agree with Davidson Deac that it could go either way with what I've seen of him.

#10 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

The 3rd down and 17 5-yard pass play is not a rookie issue- it's an issue of him checking down the vast majority of the time.

Could this not be an issue with recievers not getting open?

Lets face it, a 3rd and 17 is a killer for any rookie QB with 2 rookie WR's on the field.

#11 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

Until B) is fixed, we'll never really know about a).

I think he's going to get a ton better after an off-season of work. But I also wonder if his time in Carolina is done. He could easily become a Chad Pennington type and have a fairly productive career. But he's going to need a better situation than the one he's been given in Carolina to make that happen.

#12 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

That needs to be corrected by a legit NFL QB coach....

you mean scherer's impressive resume doesnt stand on its own?

#13 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

as with all rookie qbs, he's a work in progress...but under the current conditions, progress is going to very slow and even nonproductive.

as much as the media hyped clausen overtaking moore before the season was out, clausen nor the panthers were ready for him to be put under center.

#14 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

Not sure about that. If the Panthers had a rushing attack like last season I think it would have been an ideal situation for a young QB. We all thought the running game would be strong over the offseason. Hard to believe the loss of Otah had that much of an effect, but maybe it did.

#15 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

Could this not be an issue with recievers not getting open?

Lets face it, a 3rd and 17 is a killer for any rookie QB with 2 rookie WR's on the field.

Not just rookies. Even veteran QB's would more often than not, fail in that situation.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com