101 replies to this topic

#61 Darth Urious

Darth Urious

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

That was the case going into this season, and I wouldn't put it past a new coach to bring Moore back and start him over Jimmy again...

#62 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,389 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

that coach should never be hired.

#63 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Why is the "rookie" excuse okay to pin on Clausen but the remaining rookies on the field don't seem to be having problems... unless those problems are specifically related to the QB getting them the ball.

The 3rd down and 17 5-yard pass play is not a rookie issue- it's an issue of him checking down the vast majority of the time.

The rest of the rookies are having problems. Gettis and LaFell disappear for half of the game. Hardy makes rookie errors like forgetting to contain the run, McClain gets beaten deep by receivers etc etc.

They're rookies, they all get a pass.

#64 Mr ocho nueve

Mr ocho nueve

Cam can't have my Number

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

Why is the "rookie" excuse okay to pin on Clausen but the remaining rookies on the field don't seem to be having problems... unless those problems are specifically related to the QB getting them the ball.

The 3rd down and 17 5-yard pass play is not a rookie issue- it's an issue of him checking down the vast majority of the time.

Because being a rookie qb in the nfl on a team full of youngsters and rookies is probably the toughest situation for any first year qb to be in. Rookie qb's have success because of good coaches and good players around them, we have neither.....to a point, we have good players but we dont have a good o cordinator.

So I vote B. give clausen the reigns again next year after we get some new faces here then we can either crown him or kill him.

#65 Mr ocho nueve

Mr ocho nueve

Cam can't have my Number

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

The rest of the rookies are having problems. Gettis and LaFell disappear for half of the game. Hardy makes rookie errors like forgetting to contain the run, McClain gets beaten deep by receivers etc etc.

They're rookies, they all get a pass.

Ever since the 49ers game Gettis has dissapeared forreal

#66 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

Ever since the 49ers game Gettis has dissapeared forreal

no, he's still there.

streaking wide open down the sideline.

#67 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

Clausen is struggling because he is a rookie, on an offense with several rookies in key positions, and a oline that has struggled in large part due to injuries. He also has a couple of flaws in his mechanics that need to be fixed or overcome. I am not convinced he is a future NFL starter, but I am not convinced he is not a future NFL starter either. The jury is still out.

This.

I'm hoping that Clausen will get better, and we can spend our high draft pick next year on other positions of need.

#68 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

That was the case going into this season, and I wouldn't put it past a new coach to bring Moore back and start him over Jimmy again...

I wouldn't be surprised if Moore is starting on opening day next year, especially if we don't get Luck. He's clearly the best QB on the roster and there isn't much in free agency.

#69 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

Clausen's play makes BSP look good

I vote A

#70 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,389 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Moore is starting on opening day next year, especially if we don't get Luck. He's clearly the best QB on the roster and there isn't much in free agency.

moore won't be around and to call him the best QB on the roster still shows a monumental level of suck we have at QB.

#71 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

moore won't be around and to call him the best QB on the roster still shows a monumental level of suck we have at QB.

Yes, because having two bad games never happens to QBs.

#72 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

I just haven't been impressed with his arm strength at all. Until I see him throw that 15 yard out pattern sharply, I'll go with A).

#73 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

http://t0.gstatic.co...kgnfCAXmBfNeQTw

#74 err456

err456

err456

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

It looks like A but I hope it's B.

#75 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,742 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

I agree with what you are saying but there really is more to looking at one QB play and comparing him to another.

However this belief in him refusing to throw deep needs to be put into better light, Bradford has thrown just 1.7% more of his passes over 10 yards, whilst throwing 1.5% less over 20 yards.

Clausen
20+ yards - 8.8%
10-19 yards - 17.7%

Bradford (+1.7%)
20+ yards - 7.3%
10-19 yards - 20.9%

Matt Stafford 2009 (+6.7%)
20+ yards - 12.3%
10-19 yards - 20.9%

Colt McCoy (+9.8%)
20+ yards - 14.3%
10-19 yards - 21.8%

Mark Sanchez 2009 (+13%)
20+ yards - 13.1%
10-19 yards - 26.4%

Josh Freeman 2009 (+16.3%)
20+ yards - 13.3%
10-19 yards - 29.5%

Looking at it makes interesting reading. Jimmy does throw shorter more often but not to the degree would have you believe. It seems the entire 2009 class as a whole were give more aggressive play calling, or at least played more aggressive. Remember that Sanchez was on one of the most veteran laden teams since the Pats.

Now look at the pressure each faced for their total drop backs

Freeman 2009 - 36.6%
Bradford - 33.9%
Clausen - 33.5%
Stafford 2009 - 29.6%
McCoy - 28.9%
Sanchez 2009 - 24.2%

Other than Freeman who seems to be an anomaly throughout this, it seems pretty evident that the guys who threw longer more often faced the least pressure. With the level of pressure Jimmy faces would you rather he took more sacks (already 9.3% of drops backs), threw a risky pass under pressure, or check down allowing one of our skills players to try to make a play?

Stats about short versus long passes miss a few critical issues. If you threw a 15 yard pass but needed 18 for a first down it will pad your stats and make you look good but in the end didn't get the job done. Likewise a 5 yard pass when you need 3 represents a good job although it was a short pass.

Look at his first down percentages. In the redzone he completes 36% of his passes and his first down percentage is 18%. From the opposition 50 to the 20 he completes only 51% of his passes and his fist down percentage is 24%. Where is he the worse? In our redzone where he completes 45% of his passes but has thrown 2 Ints has been sacked 5 times and is completing first downs at a rousing 15% of the time.

Compare that to Bradford who actually has a lower deep ball percentage but in the redzone is completing 49% of his passes and 23% are going for first downs. In the oppposition's 20-50 yard line he is completing 57% of his passes and 32% are going for first downs. Overall about 32% of his attempts are going for first downs. Compare that to Clausen's 24%. The botomline is that all the pressure stats, yards per attempt and other stats are trumped by a few important ones. Such as are you moving the ball (first down %) and are you scoring (TDs).I didn't include those since it would be plain embarrasing comparing Bradford's 17 TDs to Clausen's 2. Even extropolating for Clausen's fewer starts would raise his numbers from 2 to 3. Not even close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com