Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Night Tonight

157 posts in this topic

Posted

I think the 05 team was just more talented. The reality is that Sean May and McCants without knee issues are bonafide NBA starters...Not to mention having Marvin off the bench and capable, steady upperclassmen in Williams, Manuel and Melvin Scott. There top 8 was way more athletic than out top 8.

Athletic, yes.....Better Work Ethic, yes....Heart, yes......More Talented, no

05 Seniors: Scott, Manuel, and J Williams

08 Seniors: Frasor, Ginyard, Green, and Hansbrough

05 top 8: Felton, McCants, May, J Williams, Manuel, M Williams, Terry, and Miller

Honorable Mention: Scott and Noel

08 Top 8: Lawson, Hansbrough, Ellington, Thompson, Green, Ginyard, Davis, Drew

Honorable Mention: Frasor and Graves

While there are more veteran leadership on the 08 team it is almost like they have it in their heads they are supposed to win....The 05 team seem like they would learn and worked harder to win....Almost like they wanted it more than what I have seen this Tar Heel team put on the court with just as much talent plus more IMO.

The biggest difference I have seen and heard on here is Carolina doesn't have that truse wingman like Terry and Noel(and sometimes McCants when Miller was in the game) were on the 05 team, and like Henderson is for Duke

I think Green can be that wingman only if Ellington can find consistency in his shot....They rely too much on Green to be their savior beyond the arc, when he could do a ton of damage slashing if all the focus wasn't already on him outside

our bench was so much deeper then too.

not really.....the injuries have hurt Carolina, but they are about just as deep as they were in 05

Posted

Felton was definitely a better defender than Lawson, but that doesn't mean we're in big trouble.

I still say they're playing better team defense than they were at this time last year. And making it to the final 4 last year was not exactly a disaster of a season, even if they did lose big once they got there. In case people haven't noticed, it's extremely hard to win a national championship. You can't just do it on talent alone, you have to get hot at the right time, and you have to have a little luck along the way.

Posted

who said anything about being in big trouble......my point from the start was if this team did not start playing better defense they would not win a National Championship (Like all of America and everybody on here predicted them to)

They have talent galore and have proven they can play defense, it seems like they have gotten lazy and think they can out talent other teams to victory

Posted

who said anything about being in big trouble......my point from the start was if this team did not start playing better defense they would not win a National Championship (Like all of America and everybody on here predicted them to)

They have talent galore and have proven they can play defense, it seems like they have gotten lazy and think they can out talent other teams to victory

And what makes it scary, is that every team we have been playing is exposing our lack of Defense (i.e. BC). We have yet to go into a game and really shine on both sides of the ball, from start to finish.

I dont know where the finger pointing starts. I mean on one hand, you may have talented guys that could be getting lazy and big-headed. On the other hand, you may have a coach that is not focusing on the basics of the game and is not motivating the team correctly.

Honestly IMO the '05>'08 team in all categories. Roy was just getting into office with the '05 team and the '08 team has had a full influence of Roy B-ball, Could the problem be the coach? I dont know that answer, but there seems to be some serious issues that are on the table that must be address if we plan on making it to the National Championship...

Posted

Coach Williams prides himself on defense and when he gets the players to buy into 100% the team shines, but the one criticism that Williams has gotten has been his teams can get lazy and not focused at times. He had outstanding talent at Kansas and now at Carolina, and it is showing again that his teams have to be reminded to get their had back into the game and not be lazy, and usually it takes a loss to generate that refocusing....After a few games of beating teams by 20,30,40 points that get lackadaisical, and then a team will pop them right in the mouth....they better be careful, because the NCSU or Maryland game could be one of those games....right before the Duke game and against two programs with history

NSCU = Rivalry in Raleigh

Maryland = Wants to be somebody rival since Duke does not consider them a rival

Posted

Well, maybe I misinterpreted your intent, but the tone of your first post on the subject led me to believe that you were freaking out a little bit.

I'm just not that worried about it. It's still early in the season, so there is plenty of time for this year's squad to get better. I never believed that they were going undefeated, or that they were a lead pipe lock to win it all in the first place. There is just too much talent in the ACC, and around the country for that matter, for it to be that easy.

I'm confident that the young guys like Drew and Davis are gonna keep getting better and better, and will be a big factor by March, and that the team as a whole will be playing their best basketball by then. That's when it really matters anyway.

Posted

You guys are saying that the 04/05 team had better defense, but the numbers don't really support that. UNC's 04/05 team actually allowed teams to shoot better, both in fg% and 3pt%. IMO, the reason that UNC appears to be worse defensively than in 04/05 is that the ACC overall is a better conference.

Posted

Well, typical Wake. Beat UNC and Duke, lose to Virginia Tech and Gt.

Posted

I know right!!!

Hopefully the Wolfpack goes down without a fight! :cool:

Posted

Yeah, tough loss for Wake today. On a somewhat more positive note though, that pretty much proves your point about the talent level of the ACC this year. You better bring you A game every single time in this conference.

Posted

Exactly. That's how I feel about UNC losing to Boston College. Wake is still a very good team though.

Posted

my point from the start was if this team did not start playing better defense they would not win a National Championship (Like all of America and everybody on here predicted them to)

Not everbody!