• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

I've been sick of him for years now. He never had the guts to put a team away, always throttling back when he got a lead. Playing not to lose. His philosophy of just lining up and beating the guy across from you, rather than actually giving his players a schematic advantage. His unwillingness to adjust to his personnel. His loyalty to vets to the detriment of the team. I've just never felt like it was coaching that was a driving force when we were winning. I don't recall many games where I thought wow, we really out coached them. I do remember thinking the opposite many times.

This.

#47 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

For all the people that said the tipping point was Fox sticking with Delhomme, Maybe he WAS the best chance to win... At the time, I hated fox and his Fox talk. Looking back now, Delhomme as bad as he sucked, did give us the best chance to win.

best chance to win what?

#48 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

For all the people that said the tipping point was Fox sticking with Delhomme, Maybe he WAS the best chance to win... At the time, I hated fox and his Fox talk. Looking back now, Delhomme as bad as he sucked, did give us the best chance to win.

What? Moore was great.

#49 PowerlessDan

PowerlessDan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

As someone mentioned already the decision to start Foster over Williams was probably the starting point with me.

The other thing that always bothered me was the team has seemed to underachieve when expectations were high, but if expectations were very low the team seemed to perform much better. I also seem to recall many times when we were clearly the better team, but played down to the level of the competition. These two things seem to be clearly a coaching issue.

#50 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• HUDDLER
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

The 2005 playoff embarrassment by the Seachickens. Really Fox? If they put three guys on Smitty, you have no second option to go to? You mean someone has to be open then? What a friggin concept!

The only real pass he had that day was having only our 3rd or 4th string running back fit to play, but there's ways to coach around that. Sadly, he couldn't figure out anything to do to counter Seattle's gameplan.

#51 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,881 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

when he drafted tiny hands

#52 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,268 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

At the time, I hated fox and his Fox talk. Looking back now, Delhomme as bad as he sucked, did give us the best chance to win.

Should have been a better QB on the roster long ago.

Edited by ladypanther, 22 December 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#53 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,592 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

??what?? Looking back it was clear Jake didn't give us the best chance. Moore did and it was proven.

#54 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

In high school I played on a team similar to what Fox likes. A run team with a tough defense. I think that has kept me on Fox's side. I personally would prefer a passing team, but I have seen that if the players execute Fox's style does work. We even ran the ball more than Fox. Our only passing plays were a 5 yard hitch and a fade. We averaged maybe 5 passes a game. Teams stacked the box and blitzed probably every play. But ultimatly, when our line choose to block we won. When they failed to block, we lost.

#55 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

When the league wanted to score more points to attract more fans and changed the rules to allow it, Fox could not change.

He still believed that running the ball well, and stopping the run would get you to the playoffs/Super Bowl, and as I just said in another thread, it can....sometimes.

Consistancy is what is missing with Fox, and that comes from the QB position, a position that Fox clearly downplays.

#56 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

To be honest, I have always had more problems with moves and decissions that Hurney made than Fox. Fox has his faults. Being a far supirior defensive coordinator than head coach being the greatest of these. But overall, I never have given up on Fox. Fox gave up on himself. Finally Hurney did what I had been asking for for a long time and that is act like Fox's boss instead of his partner. Fox refused to adjust, suprise, and thus gave up. It was evident by the time this season started.

Fox is a great coach and a great defensive mind in my opinion. However, he was never a great head coach and no one within the organization was willing to tell him that or offer him the guidence needed to become a great head coach.

#57 err456

err456

err456

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

Fox and others boast about never going below 7-9. Well big bullshit deal. He won mostly meaningless games at the end of the seasons when our PO chances were gone. I got off his bandwagon a few years ago. I will admit I got excited over 12-4 but you all know how that ended up.

#58 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

Fox and others boast about never going below 7-9. Well big bullshit deal. He won mostly meaningless games at the end of the seasons when our PO chances were gone. I got off his bandwagon a few years ago. I will admit I got excited over 12-4 but you all know how that ended up.

Other teams were still playing for the playoffs, so the games weren't completely meaningless.

#59 Darth Waya

Darth Waya

Just pissed

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I was losing faith gradually for years I think, but the tipping point for me was 2007. I think Fox can be a great DC, but his inability to evaluate QBs & WRs, using TEs as an extra tackle for the most part, lack of adjustment, and overall no feel for a modern NFL Offense, make him a mediocre Head Coach.

I blame him for thinking David Carr was ever a legit option. There were 5 years of film showing he was poo. I blame him and his staff (Rip Scherer in particular-Why in the hell do you hire the guy who oversaw Brady Quinn's "development" as your QB coach?) for Delhomme's meltdown just as much as I blame Delhomme himself.
The whole philosophy of "a punt is not a bad play" has never sat well with me.
The lack of a killer instinct.
When we've won, he's credited the coaching staff, when we've lost, he's blamed the players. Not once in 9 years has he ever even hinted that maybe his gameplans weren't up to the task, or that he needed to adjust.

#60 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,491 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

When we've won, he's credited the coaching staff, when we've lost, he's blamed the players. Not once in 9 years has he ever even hinted that maybe his gameplans weren't up to the task, or that he needed to adjust.

I agreed with you up until this point. He almost always credits the players and has taken the blame for poor coaching and questionable calls more than once. I seem to recall once earlier this season where he flat out said the other team was better prepared and made better adjustments ... but I don't recall which one (it may have been Stl or Chi)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com