#31 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,948 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:36 PM

If we get a coach that is an offensive mined coach then I say go for Newton if Luck is not there. If we get a defensive minded coach were screwed (which is what's gonna happen). The thing with Luck is that it doesn't really matter what kind of coach you have in place because he is just that smart.

#32 weyco2000

weyco2000

• HUDDLER
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

If Luck doesn't come out, the Panthers will have to overpay someone as a #1 pick. Green is probably the next best AP, but the question remains, who throws to him? It will be hard to trade down, with whats on the board.

#33 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Look at stats all you want, but Newton has yet to show the pros that he can read a defense. He has physical tools, but like Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young, I am not sure he has ever had to rely on his brain as much as his physical ability. I also think that Newton SEEMS to have the character type that he loves the celebrity more than the challenge, that he wants to get paid for who he is instead of having a hunger to become the greatest through hard work and humility. I suppose many will say I am crazy and want to know where my link is. These are hunches that I have developed through playing football in college, having NFL friends, and teaching college. You get to know the personality types. Now, I might be wrong, but I am usually a pretty good judge. Luck is humble and in the shadows. He maturely handles his celebrity like a Manning. He is not drawn to the lights like a moth. Newton loves attention. He has consumed his father's Kool Aid and probably thinks he is above rules because he is better than others. When everyone sings your praises everywhere you go, it takes a mature young man to be mature about it. He has shown NO humility. I think that is a symptom of how he will be after being handed millions. He is a combo of Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell, from what I have seen of his character. Accurate or not, I get different vibes from Luck and got different vibes from the most successful players ever drafted.

I think Character and the ability to handle celebrity is key for a QB:

Matt Leinhart--anyone remember the PUNK'D episode where some women came up to him to ask directions and he was arrested for soliciting a prostitute? Of course it was a bad joke, but Leinhart was pulled aside and told he could be let off the hook if he gave his friend up. He did. This was just before he was drafted. Ha Ha, all in fun. But it showed me a major character flaw.

On the other hand, I was initially upset when we drafted Beason, until I saw an interview of him. Beason was positive, hungry, and eager. He knew that he had earned nothing and he wanted simply to be the best. At OTAs this year, I asked him about moving to the outside LB spot after his dominance at MLB. He responded, "I played there when I came into the league when Morgan was in the middle. I can do it. If this needs me to play fullback or safety, I will play wherever they need me to play." Beason will always be great. He is not interested in the cameras and the glory. He realizes there are things bigger than Jon Beason. Luck is that way. Newton doesn't seem to think so. Just an opinion through outsider observations, but I am usually right.

#34 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

If Luck doesn't come out, the Panthers will have to overpay someone as a #1 pick. Green is probably the next best AP, but the question remains, who throws to him? It will be hard to trade down, with whats on the board.

Green is head and shoulders above the other WRs and the only player in the draft who could be worth the pick. If we take the approach that we are going to have stud WRs and OL to match our stud RB, then we can sign a veteran QB. DT is deep in this draft. After Green, there is Jones, a WR with hands problems (not another one). They are the only WRs in the draft who can play the #1 WR spot.

#35 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,054 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

did you really just compare him to a slow, huge QB and a small, fast one?

#36 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,054 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

i mean what am i supposed to take from that comparison? he's a big, black, slow rapist? he's a guy that murders dogs while crashing his motorcycle?

#37 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

Thread title is half right.

#38 PanthersPhan18

PanthersPhan18

(0Y0)

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

I know most don't feel that way, but I still think Locker is next best available qb if Luck doesn't come out.

#39 Baschski

Baschski

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

Hahaha I love this guy.

#40 Baschski

Baschski

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind taking Newton if Luck isn't there. Not sure about trading down though. Newton probably goes in the first five picks.

#41 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,948 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

Size and Speed. Use that thing they call a brain. There is no other player like Newton in the NFL so you have to choose two that are like him.

#42 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,948 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

i mean what am i supposed to take from that comparison? he's a big, black, slow rapist? he's a guy that murders dogs while crashing his motorcycle?

Your type of man.

#43 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

If Luck isn't there, trade down and take Locker. I mean, last year if Locker came out he would've been the no doubt number 1 pick, he had a down year but I think he's the second best QB in the draft. I'm not sold on Newton being able to put it together in the NFL.

But I am/was a huge Clausen supporter so what do I know?

#44 pantherfan81

pantherfan81

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

Newton is going to be good, just will probably take more time for the transition. If he's there & Luck isn't pick him up.

#45 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,054 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

Size and Speed. Use that thing they call a brain. There is no other player like Newton in the NFL so you have to choose two that are like him.

there are plenty of quarterbacks in the nfl that have "size and speed."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com