Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is America the 'best country in the World'?

100 posts in this topic

Posted

We work too much

Don't ever move to japan.

Posted

Don't ever move to japan.

OK

Posted

Other countries don't work enough.

We have no down time compared to the rest of the world. Working overseas it was common for senior level people to take a month off at a time. And junior level folks to take a year off and have a job waiting when they came back.

Some people get 1 week or even no weeks of vacation to start over here.

2 weeks is a joke

Posted

We have no down time compared to the rest of the world. Working overseas it was common for senior level people to take a month off at a time. And junior level folks to take a year off and have a job waiting when they came back.

Some people get 1 week or even no weeks of vacation to start over here.

2 weeks is a joke

If by rest of the world, you mean Europe and a few others, I agree that we don't get much downtime. But compared to the world as a whole, we get quite a bit of downtime.

Fwiw, I get 30 days or so a year, and don't really use all of that. But I usually get bored after being on vacation more than 3-4 days.

Posted

If by rest of the world, you mean Europe and a few others, I agree that we don't get much downtime. But compared to the world as a whole, we get quite a bit of downtime.

Fwiw, I get 30 days or so a year, and don't really use all of that. But I usually get bored after being on vacation more than 3-4 days.

You're in the minority.

And I think if you're not talking about the US, Canada or Australia as the best nations in the world, you will be looking at [western] Europe.

And when it comes to many things, they're doing it right in western Europe and we need to catch up. The overworking/holiday thing is one of them.

Posted

You're in the minority.

And I think if you're not talking about the US, Canada or Australia as the best nations in the world, you will be looking at [western] Europe.

And when it comes to many things, they're doing it right in western Europe and we need to catch up. The overworking/holiday thing is one of them.

Not really sure if I am in the minority or not. There are large numbers of people that get 25 or more days per year. Government employees, almost all employees of large and medium sized banks and other financial instititions, hospitals, etc... On the flipside, people that work in retail, or for small companies usually get a week or two at best. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how much vacation time people get by industry.

Posted

Have lived in Spain, Have lived in S. Korea..... been to over 20 different countries...

Can find pro's and con's to all of them

Have been to 30 of the 50 states..... can find pro's and con's to all of them.

After 23 years living outside of NC, I chose to come back to my native state - in my native country.

I say YES - it has faults, but to me its the best I've experienced.

Posted

Not really sure if I am in the minority or not. There are large numbers of people that get 25 or more days per year. Government employees, almost all employees of large and medium sized banks and other financial instititions, hospitals, etc... On the flipside, people that work in retail, or for small companies usually get a week or two at best. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how much vacation time people get by industry.

Yeah, I'd be interested as well.

I honestly and admittedly don't have any statistics to back up my generalization... just limited experience. And I know the Government employees thing isn't always true. My stepmom has worked for UNCC in internal audit for 4, going on 5 years and in year or two was only given 10 days. Well, not 10 days... 80 hours. Which is roughly equivalent to 10 days. But then after that, it goes up only slightly by year and I don't have any idea how many years it takes before you get 25 days off. A good number, though, I'd imagine.

My dad, in contrast, as worked at the University for going on 29 years and he has enough time in unused vacation time and sick leave to retire today. He could just turn in his unused time and make it to 30 years.

Posted

New Zealand.

Good luck getting citizenship there.

I had no problem :rolleyes:

Here is a report by the UN on the best countries in the World to live in.

http://www.3news.co.nz/NZ-3rd-best-country-to-live-in---UN/tabid/423/articleID/184814/Default.aspx

Top 15 countries

1. Norway

2. Australia

3. New Zealand

4. United States

5. Ireland

6. Liechtenstein

7. Netherlands

8. Canada

9. Sweden

10. Germany

11. Japan

12. South Korea

13. Switzerland

14. France

15. Israel

Posted

i spent a few months in australia and loved it so much i'm moving back there with my wife in about two years.

Posted

until they take away IHOP's and Celeb Rehab, US STILL the best.

Posted

i spent a few months in australia and loved it so much i'm moving back there with my wife in about two years.

I wouldn't move to NSW or Queensland at the moment as most of it is under water.

I suggest Victoria but maybe I'm biased as my son lives there :)