Photo
- - - - -

Is America the 'best country in the World'?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#46 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

I agree, ever since they got rid of their sultan, that place has improved 1000 fold.

this place could use the same cleansing!!!

as for the OP...no right or wrong answer...it's all based on personal opinions and values.

Personally, I love being Canadian. We have all the positives of any other nation I can think of, and possibly fewer of the negatives. We have high taxes compared to many, but in my opinion, the tradeoffs are worth it.

I honestly think Canadians and Americans are pretty much the same thing really...but Canadians have the bonus of being loved pretty much worldwide.

#47 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,876 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

My feeling is that if someone here is not proud to be an American then they should go someplace else where they would be proud to live...like Egypt or something. Where-ever makes them proud to be associated with. Why would you stay here if you are not proud to be here?

There are plenty of things about America that i am not proud of.

The "if you don't like it leave" argument is usually reserved for mindless partisans who don't have the intelligence to question our government's actions.

#48 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,876 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

I honestly think Canadians and Americans are pretty much the same thing really...but Canadians have the bonus of being loved pretty much worldwide.

and good beer

#49 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 25,016 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

sorry sam adams is not a canadian beer.

#50 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

and good beer

it's a good tie breaker if nothing else!!!

#51 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 25,016 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

there are some hot women from canada tho!!

#52 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

The CFL?

pass

#53 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,876 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

The CFL?

pass

wut?

CFL is a great product. Good fans and fun rules.

#54 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:48 PM

USA is the best country in the world easily

Poor people here live in public housing
Poor people in other countries like in shacks

In communist countries talking bad about the Gov't gets you killed
Here you can speak your mind about whomever you like

Anybody in the US can become wealthy through hard work, saving money, living within your means, and properly investing your cash

Poor people in which other countries live in shacks?
And communist countries? You know there's like... 5 in the world, right?
Anybody in the US can become wealthy?

So, have you actually been to any other countries? My guess is not.

It's this type of blind nationalism that keeps America from becoming the greatest country in the world.

#55 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:53 PM

this place could use the same cleansing!!!

as for the OP...no right or wrong answer...it's all based on personal opinions and values.

Personally, I love being Canadian. We have all the positives of any other nation I can think of, and possibly fewer of the negatives. We have high taxes compared to many, but in my opinion, the tradeoffs are worth it.

I love America. Being a young, taxpaying American, what I am most concerned about is our really high and still growing financial debt, and the level of beaucracy and corruption of almost all the levels of our large government.

i must admit that i dont remember most of the details of the inner workings of Canada's government from school. I have been a member of this board for a while and have read enough of your posts to know that you know much more about the U.S., than i know about Canada, so I am just curious as to your opinion of the differences between the two.

In your opinion, is Canada's government much more effective financially than ours concerning handling the budget, and wasting taxpayer money, etc.? And, is your government more popular and in tune with voters and really representative of what the population of Canada wants to do, and the direction of Canada's future, as a whole?

I guess i am just wondering if your country is as divided as ours is politically, and if your country seems to have more answers for growing social issues and fiscal problems and are taking more action than the U.S. is doing considering the future of your economy and quality of life?

Hell of a question huh?

#56 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,089 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

how do you define "best?"

do you define the nation by its government, or by its people?

how to you quantify black marks on a nation's history, such as positions in wars?

do you compare the country at its present time/standing, or do you take into account its entire history?

extremely complicated question, and if you're truly objective about answering it you'll find it a difficult one to answer.

#57 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

USA!!1!!! USA!!1!!! USA!111!!1!1!!

Fookin mooslims~!!!!!!11!

#58 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

Poor people in which other countries live in shacks?
And communist countries? You know there's like... 5 in the world, right?
Anybody in the US can become wealthy?

So, have you actually been to any other countries? My guess is not.

It's this type of blind nationalism that keeps America from becoming the greatest country in the world.

Iraq, Germany, Afghanistan, Turkey...lived in those. Been to 16 total.

You? I guess not.

By the way, I was there so that you can have your freedom.

Would you put your life on the line for your country? I guess not

#59 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

Iraq, Germany, Afghanistan, Turkey...lived in those. Been to 16 total.

You? I guess not.

By the way, I was there so that you can have your freedom.

Would you put your life on the line for your country? I guess not

Appreciate your service, but that doesn't make your opinion any more right and it doesn't make your baseless claims any more right either. Nor does my choosing not to go into the armed services concern you.

I'll give you that poor people in Iraq, Afghanistan and Turkey probably do live in shacks. Those countries wouldn't, in a million years, be considered "the greatest in the world."

There are other countries in the world that do more for it's citizens than the US does in terms of welfare. As a matter of fact, among the most developed nations in the world, the US spends less money per capita on public benefits including healthcare. So the "poor people in other countries live in shacks" claim is well, laughable at best.

Oh and yeah... still only 5 communist countries in the world. There's over 192 members of the United Nations. Still a pooty argument.

And the "if you don't like it get out" rhetoric is a tired, conservative neanderthal idea. How about "if you don't like it, do something about it" instead? That's where you see progress. Not by kickin anyone who doesn't agree out of the club. To me, that sounds like the communism you were describing earlier.

And still none of this points to American being the greatest country in the world. Certainly not on those terms you listed.

#60 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

I ask my filipina wife this question. She said unequivocally yes, it is. She is usually right about these things. :)

As I said earlier, its a combination of things that makes america a great nation. The diversity of climate, culture, cusine, landscape, along with a relatively high standard of living make it a great place to live. Most of the countries in the world are to small to have that much diversity. There are a few exceptions (India, China, Russia come to mind) but very few have as diverse a nation as we do. New York City, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Anchorage, Honolulu etc.. are as different from each other as London is from Paris, Tokyo is from Manila, and Berlin from Rome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com