Photo
- - - - -

Is America the 'best country in the World'?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,392 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

Appreciate your service, but that doesn't make your opinion any more right and it doesn't make your baseless claims any more right either. Nor does my choosing not to go into the armed services concern you.

I'll give you that poor people in Iraq, Afghanistan and Turkey probably do live in shacks. Those countries wouldn't, in a million years, be considered "the greatest in the world."

There are other countries in the world that do more for it's citizens than the US does in terms of welfare. As a matter of fact, among the most developed nations in the world, the US spends less money per capita on public benefits including healthcare. So the "poor people in other countries live in shacks" claim is well, laughable at best.

Oh and yeah... still only 5 communist countries in the world. There's over 192 members of the United Nations. Still a pooty argument.

And the "if you don't like it get out" rhetoric is a tired, conservative neanderthal idea. How about "if you don't like it, do something about it" instead? That's where you see progress. Not by kickin anyone who doesn't agree out of the club. To me, that sounds like the communism you were describing earlier.

And still none of this points to American being the greatest country in the world. Certainly not on those terms you listed.

Fwiw, if he has said poor people in most other countries live in shacks, he would be correct. Certainly they don't in Western and Northern Europe, or Japan, or the oil rich nations in the Middle East. But the vast majority of the world's poor do live in shacks.

And the US is definitely better than Sweden, simply because its to dam cold there. :)

#62 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

shacks....

link?

#63 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

Appreciate your service, but that doesn't make your opinion any more right and it doesn't make your baseless claims any more right either. Nor does my choosing not to go into the armed services concern you.

I'll give you that poor people in Iraq, Afghanistan and Turkey probably do live in shacks. Those countries wouldn't, in a million years, be considered "the greatest in the world."

There are other countries in the world that do more for it's citizens than the US does in terms of welfare. As a matter of fact, among the most developed nations in the world, the US spends less money per capita on public benefits including healthcare. So the "poor people in other countries live in shacks" claim is well, laughable at best.

Oh and yeah... still only 5 communist countries in the world. There's over 192 members of the United Nations. Still a pooty argument.

And the "if you don't like it get out" rhetoric is a tired, conservative neanderthal idea. How about "if you don't like it, do something about it" instead? That's where you see progress. Not by kickin anyone who doesn't agree out of the club. To me, that sounds like the communism you were describing earlier.

And still none of this points to American being the greatest country in the world. Certainly not on those terms you listed.

this.

#64 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,392 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

shacks....

link?

http://t0.gstatic.co...yDR_K0jIeFGkNvZ

#65 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

Fwiw, if he has said poor people in most other countries live in shacks, he would be correct. Certainly they don't in Western and Northern Europe, or Japan, or the oil rich nations in the Middle East. But the vast majority of the world's poor do live in shacks.

And the US is definitely better than Sweden, simply because its to dam cold there. :)

People in every country live in shacks.

There are very few countries where most people live in shacks

#66 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,392 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

People in every country live in shacks.

There are very few countries where most people live in shacks

In most countries, poor people live in shacks. Operative words being most and poor. I am surprised that anyone would even debate that. I doubt anyone thats ever traveled to third world nations would.

#67 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,392 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

World housing poverty

Anna Tibaijuka, head of the UN Habitat agency, urged governments and donors to take more seriously the problems of at least a billion people.

Some states, the report notes, have already taken significant action to improve conditions, notably in Latin America where about 31% of urban people are classified as living in slums

global housing report

•One out of every three city dwellers – nearly a billion people – lives in a slum and that number is expected to double in the next 25 years. (Slum indicators include: lack of water, lack of sanitation, overcrowding, non-durable structures and insecure tenure.) (UN-HABITAT: 2006)
•As much as 70 percent of the urban housing stock in sub-Saharan Africa, 50 percent in South Asia, and 25 percent in Latin America and the Caribbean is of poor quality and not in compliance with local regulations. (Kissick, et al: 2006)

#68 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,882 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

In most countries, poor people live in shacks. Operative words being most and poor. I am surprised that anyone would even debate that. I doubt anyone thats ever traveled to third world nations would.

in most countries poor people live on the streets but I agree with what you're saying.

#69 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

I don't think the USA is the best country in the world, but it's easily in the top 20.

#70 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

best ever/

#71 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,773 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

my ancestors seemed to think it was when they came over about a century ago

#72 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

Your ancestors wouldn't recognize this place if they were alive today.

#73 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

It has the potential to be the best, certainly the most powerful nation by far. But I guarantee you though that America is not the happiest nation. America can improve in many areas. However we do educate the most people and have more freedoms than most.

I always hate the anti american sentiments though. My ex gf moved to Germany for college this past year. She always poo talked America even before she left. She was an ungrateful slut though, always thought the grass was greener on the other side.

Australia seems like it would be top 5 to me though. It seems like America with less hassle and more beaches.

#74 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

http://t0.gstatic.co...yDR_K0jIeFGkNvZ

well that settles it.

nice proof.

#75 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,392 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

well that settles it.

nice proof.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.