Photo
- - - - -

Is America the 'best country in the World'?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

It has the potential to be the best, certainly the most powerful nation by far. But I guarantee you though that America is not the happiest nation. America can improve in many areas. However we do educate the most people and have more freedoms than most.

I always hate the anti american sentiments though. My ex gf moved to Germany for college this past year. She always poo talked America even before she left. She was an ungrateful slut though, always thought the grass was greener on the other side.

Australia seems like it would be top 5 to me though. It seems like America with less hassle and more beaches.

Australia would be ok. Personally, I don't think most of the European countries have enough diversity to be the best. But to each his own.

#77 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Australia = Canada

#78 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,990 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

even during our down times we are STILL the best. other countries are happier by some strange metric. i bet that same country is more homogenized than the US. t he US is the ultimate paradox

#79 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

It has the potential to be the best, certainly the most powerful nation by far. But I guarantee you though that America is not the happiest nation. America can improve in many areas. However we do educate the most people and have more freedoms than most.

Educating the most people means little when their education isn't to the standard of the rest of the modern world. There's pretty large education gaps right now between America and many other nations, and we don't come out on the good side of that.

Australia would be ok. Personally, I don't think most of the European countries have enough diversity to be the best. But to each his own.

America doesn't use its diversity to its advantage. Sometimes, that diversity seems to be an imposition on the majority classes than anything else. I do agree though, that diversity is crucial in many respects. Going back to education, it has been proven that kids in more diverse classrooms will learn more. I just don't know that America is the best example of the advantages of diversity. Maybe one of the most diverse, but that might not be as big a talking point in this question.

#80 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,567 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

even during our down times we are STILL the best. other countries are happier by some strange metric.

We work too much

#81 Khyber53

Khyber53

I'm a believer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

Given all the options, I'd still much rather be here in the US than elsewhere.

#82 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

And speaking of Canada......

i'm watching a movie called Gunless lol

#83 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

Educating the most people means little when their education isn't to the standard of the rest of the modern world. There's pretty large education gaps right now between America and many other nations, and we don't come out on the good side of that.

America doesn't use its diversity to its advantage. Sometimes, that diversity seems to be an imposition on the majority classes than anything else. I do agree though, that diversity is crucial in many respects. Going back to education, it has been proven that kids in more diverse classrooms will learn more. I just don't know that America is the best example of the advantages of diversity. Maybe one of the most diverse, but that might not be as big a talking point in this question.

I don't agree.

And fwiw, I wasn't talking about some deep philosophical meaning, but simply about the ability to see and sample different cultures without leaving the borders of our fair nation.

#84 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

We work too much

Other countries don't work enough.

#85 Mayor Qumiby

Mayor Qumiby

fug the saints!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

We work too much

Don't ever move to japan.

#86 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,567 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Don't ever move to japan.

OK

#87 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,567 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Other countries don't work enough.

We have no down time compared to the rest of the world. Working overseas it was common for senior level people to take a month off at a time. And junior level folks to take a year off and have a job waiting when they came back.

Some people get 1 week or even no weeks of vacation to start over here.

2 weeks is a joke

#88 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

We have no down time compared to the rest of the world. Working overseas it was common for senior level people to take a month off at a time. And junior level folks to take a year off and have a job waiting when they came back.

Some people get 1 week or even no weeks of vacation to start over here.

2 weeks is a joke

If by rest of the world, you mean Europe and a few others, I agree that we don't get much downtime. But compared to the world as a whole, we get quite a bit of downtime.

Fwiw, I get 30 days or so a year, and don't really use all of that. But I usually get bored after being on vacation more than 3-4 days.

#89 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:55 AM

If by rest of the world, you mean Europe and a few others, I agree that we don't get much downtime. But compared to the world as a whole, we get quite a bit of downtime.

Fwiw, I get 30 days or so a year, and don't really use all of that. But I usually get bored after being on vacation more than 3-4 days.

You're in the minority.

And I think if you're not talking about the US, Canada or Australia as the best nations in the world, you will be looking at [western] Europe.

And when it comes to many things, they're doing it right in western Europe and we need to catch up. The overworking/holiday thing is one of them.

#90 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

You're in the minority.

And I think if you're not talking about the US, Canada or Australia as the best nations in the world, you will be looking at [western] Europe.

And when it comes to many things, they're doing it right in western Europe and we need to catch up. The overworking/holiday thing is one of them.

Not really sure if I am in the minority or not. There are large numbers of people that get 25 or more days per year. Government employees, almost all employees of large and medium sized banks and other financial instititions, hospitals, etc... On the flipside, people that work in retail, or for small companies usually get a week or two at best. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how much vacation time people get by industry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com