Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stimulus Bill is a Sham.

42 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/01/29/obama-calls-b-wall-street-bonuses-outrageous/

So Obama is mad that they gave out $18 BILLION in bonuses last year, all while asking for gov't handouts, yet here we are ready to give them money again?

The bonuses are outrageous, but why did the administrations and congress not know these things before they gave out the money and why are we giving them more money???

Posted

I'm not a fan of any of it from the get go - I know nothing about macro economics. All I really want to see is the deficit go down because that's as complicated as I can get.

I am sure that there are things in these packages that do not promote job growth. I am also just as sure that whether or not these things ever "work" the opposition will tell us that it was other factors that caused the economy to recover, because they know just as much as I do.

I just want people to have jobs. The worst possible situation for an economy is people sitting at home with no job, no confidence, no hope. I don't care if the jobs suck. I worked two poo jobs early last year to make ends meet, but it kept me from sliding into depression and then a great job came around and I was back on my feet. I want programs that put people to work, not pork that helps Nancy Pelosi win reelection.

Posted

I would like to remind everyone here that even though the New Deal did make an awful lot of jobs building infrastructure, the Republicans still could not find anything they liked about it. I can understand that from a philosophical point of view, but it tells me nothing has changed and nothing will change in terms of the majority and the "loyal opposition".

Posted

That's right, giving money to rich people who say they need it is believable, while this is just pork for Democratic supporters.

all the bailout's/stimulus plans were bad news.

Posted

I would like to remind everyone here that even though the New Deal did make an awful lot of jobs building infrastructure, the Republicans still could not find anything they liked about it. I can understand that from a philosophical point of view, but it tells me nothing has changed and nothing will change in terms of the majority and the "loyal opposition".

actually now the republican line tends to be that the new deal actually prolonged the great depression, slowing recovery efforts made my hoover, and if you ask them to explain exactly how that makes sense, they usually just far in a paper bag and run in a circle.

or they'll say that the second world war was what really got us out of the depression, a period of time marked by extensive shrinking of the government, tax cuts, out of control private consumption, and total free market friedmanism.

Posted

You talk about the new deal as if it actually, you know, worked.

Posted

or they'll say that the second world war was what really got us out of the depression...

Uh, most historians agree on this. :rolleyes:

Posted

Uh, most historians agree on this. :rolleyes:

what from my post makes you think i don't

Posted

I just assumed that since you referred to it as the "republican line", that you disagreed with it.

Posted

I just assumed that since you referred to it as the "republican line", that you disagreed with it.

you missed the point

Posted

the new deal was worthless

Posted

There is zero support from republicans on this bill.

what from the past eight years indicates to you republican support is a good thing?

Without the rich, the people have no power. Without the rich, there is no private sector. Without the rich, the government becomes larger and takes more control of your life.

please explain, citing good sources and quotations from people generally perceived to be knowledgeable about the subject, how this will get rid of the rich.

Also please prove causation between decline in "rich" and increase in government size and "control of life"