Photo
- - - - -

BCS Rose Bowl: TCU vs Wisconsin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#101 Fox007

Fox007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

That's just the AP and Coaches Polls, right? The BCS Poll, which the NCAA claims to be theirs, doesn't come out until later in the season.

Of course it is, and it still shouldn't come out until the BCS rankings come out, they all 3 count towards the actual ranking.

Regardless, the BCS is crap. It's a self-designed, elitist system that basically casts out any school the NCAA doesn't think can make it any money. And by the NCAA determining who is and who isn't an AQ school or conference, all they are doing is allowing the big schools to say "No" to any non-AQ school who wants to play them.

The big programs get richer while the small schools struggle for recognition. Sorry, but TCU is undefeated and they deserve recognition for that fact. I don't care who they played and I really don't care if they could hang with SEC teams week in and week out like some claim. Can you imagine if MLB, NBA and NFL all started claiming who had better divisions or each started ranking teams based upon SOS?

The simple fact is the kids won these games, and they have nothing to do with scheduling, what conference they play in or otherwise. They just went out and beat whoever they played.

Could you imagine if there were 100+ teams in the MLB, NBA, and NFL?

Fact: an 11-1 team from x conference isn't the same as one from y conference.
You can't just go by record with so many teams involved.
No one likes the system, except the people making millions from it. Most people want a playoff system. But even with a playoff system, the rankings would be exactly the same.

And, just for the record, take a look at the final Sagarin SOS ratings- the PAC 10 as a conference and individual teams had the most difficult schedules in the land:

Sagarin Top 10 SOS rankings end of 2010 season (pre-Bowl games)
1. Oregon State
2. Washington
3. Washington State
4. UCLA
5. California
6. Arizona State
7. USC (Southern Cal)
8. Oklahoma
9. Colorado
10. Stanford

Meanwhile, everyone's beloved SEC teams finished the 2010 season with Sagarin SOS rankings as follows:
14. South Carolina
16. Florida
30. Vanderbilt
35. Georgia
43. Tennessee
61. Kentucky

15. Auburn
17. Alabama
21. Arkansas
24. LSU
29. Mississippi State
36. Mississippi

That's cool, so where's Oregon? #19

Oh and TCU? #80...cute...real cute...

#102 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

"Actually if there is a tie by record, the NFL does go by strength of schedule."
For playoff purposes... something the NCAA has never heard of.

"And TCU is getting the recognition they deserve. They got to play in one of the most prestigious bowl games in college football, and they won. They will be #2 in the final BCS polls, which is where they belong. They earned the right to be #2. They did not earn the right to be #1."
Never claimed they should be #1, nor titled the best in the nation.

"...and until we get a playoff system they did not earn the right to be."
Please make sure you apply this argument to every so-called National Champion in the BCS era because it works both ways. Don't use it as you see fit when defending your opinion.

How long has it been since anyone played a regular season game? At least 3 weeks, right? At this point does anyone even remember how some teams fared during the regular season?

Edited by Anybodyhome, 02 January 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#103 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Of course it is, and it still shouldn't come out until the BCS rankings come out, they all 3 count towards the actual ranking.

Could you imagine if there were 100+ teams in the MLB, NBA, and NFL?

Fact: an 11-1 team from x conference isn't the same as one from y conference.
You can't just go by record with so many teams involved.
No one likes the system, except the people making millions from it. Most people want a playoff system. But even with a playoff system, the rankings would be exactly the same.

That's cool, so where's Oregon? #19

Oh and TCU? #80...cute...real cute...

And Appalachian State is #138, so what? Are you suggesting a strength of schedule ranking is more important than wins and losses?

Oregon's #19 Sagarin Ranking is still better than 67% of everyone's darling SEC.

Edited by Anybodyhome, 02 January 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#104 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

For playoff purposes... something the NCAA has never heard of.

Ok? College football has a BCS system. Strength of schedule decides what game you get into.

Never claimed they should be #1, nor titled the best in the nation.

You said they deserved recognition. I was showing that they will receive it.

Please make sure you apply this argument to every so-called National Champion in the BCS era because it works both ways. Don't use it as you see fit when defending your opinion.

What? The National Champions earned the right to be in the National Championship game in the BCS system. Are you supplying some sort of argument with this statement?

How long has it been since anyone played a regular season game? At least 3 weeks, right? At this point does anyone even remember how some teams fared during the regular season?

I remember very well. I watched. My memory serves me well for more than 3 weeks.

#105 Fox007

Fox007

HUDDLER

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:34 AM

And Appalachian State is #138, so what? Are you suggesting a strength of schedule ranking is more important than wins and losses?

Oregon's #19 Sagarin Ranking is still better than 67% of everyone's darling SEC.

Nope I'm not suggesting anything I'm telling you exactly how it actually is.

Strength of schedule is used in conjunction with wins and losses.

Yup and Oregon is playing in the title game...

#106 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

TCU only has SMU to blame! For ruining the SWC back in the day. Which would undoubtedly have been an AQ conference. Thereby allowing TCU to play better competition throughout the year.
You see SMU is actually to blame. Doesn't this make sense to you?! fug you Craig James!

Really I don't think TCU could beat Oregon or Auburn. So this situation gives them a #2 final ranking and a Rose Bowl win. Losing the NC game would not give them anything.
No one remembers the loser of the NC, but they do remember the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, etc champions.