Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cookinwithgas

forget sexy, Obama is bringing science back

58 posts in this topic

Stem Cell research may be a big dead end...Chasing energy alternatives may be as well, but I suppose as long as the dems get to waste a bunch of money trying, it's OK!

you literally have the worst opinions about everything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DOn't touch meh stemz cellz!!!!
Gimme some of your skin cells, I can work backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daily baths? I didn't get the memo on that!

Then why do you frequent turkish bathhouses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because there are Turks, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i didn't mention this because i didn't want to seem confrontational, but it has been eating at me for days.

please don't EVER tell me to forget sexy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did you know that the term stem cells doesn't just refer to embryonic stem cells?

Yes ... the Web site I linked is the National Institutes of Health, and if you will do your research, you will know that none of these diseases have been cured by stem cells -- adult or embryonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why do you keep posting this and not mentioning that it was all tied to those countries teaching abstinence only education, which almost certainly increased the rate of HIV infection?

not yet and that's probably not where their primary application will lie. (it doesn't make sense, for example, to treat rapidly reproducing cells with...more cells?) however, they're already using them to grow peoples' jaws back and human cells were used in rats to repair spinal chord damage in rats so it's difficult to say this is anything but the most promising and exciting breakthrough in medicine since, oh, I don't know, daily baths.

I only posted it once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where you got your information from, but its seems to be incorrect for the most part. There is nothing wrong with teaching abstinence as long as it is not the only thing taught. It is the best and easiest way to avoid std's. Of course, that is not the only prevention method they teach, and only a small part of the budget is spent on teaching abstinence.

If you want to criticise GWB, be my guest. He certainly deserves a lot of criticism for a lot of things, but funding for medical research is not one of them.

US funding for Aids research and other disease went to virtually every country in the African continent and many other nations throughout the world. The primary recipients were 15 core nations, that included South Africa, Vietnam, Mozambique Tanzania among others.

PEPFAR has fielded domestic criticism from some Democrats and international activists for spending a portion of funding on abstinence-until-marriage programs and for placing conditions on other funds. Some political conservatives have criticized the program for what they consider the general inefficacy of foreign aid

Prefar (President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief)

To slow the spread of the epidemic, PEPFAR supports a variety of prevention programs: the ABC approach (Abstain, Be faithful, and correct and consistent use of Condoms); prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT) interventions; and programs focusing on blood safety, injection safety, secondary prevention ("prevention with positives"), counseling and education.

Initially, a recommended 20% of the PEPFAR budget was to be spent on prevention, with the remaining 80% going to care and treatment, laboratory support, antiretroviral drugs, TB/HIV services, support for orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), infrastructure, training, and other related services. Of the 20% spent on prevention, one third was to be spent on abstinence-until-marriage programs in fiscal years 2006 through 2008, a controversial requirement. The other two thirds was allotted for the widespread array of prevention interventions described above, including counseling, education, injection safety, blood safety and condoms.

The 2008 reathorisation of PEPFAR eliminated both the 20% recommendation for prevention efforts and the 33% requirement for abstinence programs.

International Aids Malaria and TB research

Pepfar

PEPFAR "has literally saved millions of lives," said Peter Piot, who stepped down at the end of last year after 13 years as head of the UN agency UNAIDS.

"In my mind, there's no doubt that Bush's legacy on AIDS is very positive."

Tachi Yamada, president of the Global Health Programme at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, said PEPFAR and Bush's malaria initiative "are real success stories."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites