rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,424 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

sigh.

i guess i'll google for you.

A stem cell treatment has cured type 1 diabetes in 14 of 15 people during experimental tests.

Reprogrammed stem cells cure sickle cell anaemia

#47 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,926 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

That's it; I'm drinking a glass of fresh squeezed fetus juice every morning!

#48 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

That's it; I'm drinking a glass of fresh squeezed fetus juice every morning!

Raw eggs?

#49 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

I heard Stem Cell juice makes a excellent mixer.

#50 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

sigh.

i guess i'll google for you.

A stem cell treatment has cured type 1 diabetes in 14 of 15 people during experimental tests.

Reprogrammed stem cells cure sickle cell anaemia

This is what you said:

wow. i'm sure the thousands of people cured of cancer, diabetes, leukemia, sickle cell, etc via stem cells will be sad to hear that.

14 cures for diabetes in an experimental program and the numbers in the sickle cell anemia program does not hold up your contention.

I'm not disputing that there is promise in stem cell research - adult and embryonic - and these experiments and trials show promise. It just doesn't hold up your "thousands of people cured" contention.

#51 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,926 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

Neither does your assertion that not one person has been saved.

Luckily Htar is not getting involved here; since stem cell research has only saved a few people what's the use of further research?

#52 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Neither does your assertion that not one person has been saved.

Luckily Htar is not getting involved here; since stem cell research has only saved a few people what's the use of further research?

Not my assertion, but that of the NIH ... the experts in the field. And, I never said there's no use for further research ... ever.

#53 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,926 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

Hence the use of the name "Htar". See how that works Ms. Sensitive? And you of course, took the assertion as fact to prove a point.

#54 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

Hence the use of the name "Htar". See how that works Ms. Sensitive? And you of course, took the assertion as fact to prove a point.

Well, now ... let's vet Rodeo's assertions a little more.

From the link provided:

14 of the 15 patients were insulin-free for some time following the treatment. Eleven of those were able to dispense with supplemental insulin immediately following the infusion of stem cells and have not had recourse to synthetic insulin since then...

"As a research scientist I am always hesitant to speak of a cure, but the initial results have been good and show the importance of conducting more trials," Dr Burt said.

Debunked as a "cure" ....

From the link provided, this was in experiments on MICE; doesn’t say anything about a cure:

Scientists in the U.S. have made a breakthrough in the fight against sickle cell anaemia, a blood disease caused by a defect in a single gene.
Sickle cell anaemia is a serious condition in which the red blood cells can become sickle-shaped instead of smooth and round; they do not move easily through the blood because they are stiff and sticky and can form clumps in the blood vessels.
These clumps block the blood flow in the blood vessels and can cause pain, serious infections and damage to limbs and organs.
Sickle cell anaemia affects millions of people worldwide but is most common in people whose families come from Africa, South or Central America (especially Panama), the Caribbean, Mediterranean countries (such as Turkey, Greece, and Italy), India and Saudi Arabia.
Sickle cell anaemia affects about 70,000 people in the United States mainly African Americans and around 2 million Americans have the sickle cell trait.
The scientists created the stem cells from cells extracted from the skin of mice; by injecting 4 genes into these new stem cells they were able to reprogramme them.
When the reprogrammed cells were reinjected into mice with sickle cell anaemia, the mice were cured.
In order to turn the skin cells into master cells the four genes were delivered using a type of virus called a retrovirus.
The team at the Whitehead Institute of Biomedical Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts, say they have shown that the cells 'pluripotent stem cells' (iPS), have the same potential for therapy as embryonic stem cells, but without the ethical and practical issues.
Lead researcher Rudolf Jaenisch says pluripotent or multipurpose cells, such as embryonic stem cells and the new cells, can morph into any type of cell in the human body.
Jaenisch says the research demonstrates that such reprogramming can be used to correct a major genetic disease.
Researcher Dr. Jacob Hanna says once the 4 genes enter the genome, there is a danger that they can silence some genes that are important or can activate some dangerous genes that should not be activated; one of the four genes used is c-Myc, which is known to cause cancer.
Dr. Hanna says the study is the first evaluation of such cells for therapy after years of work into strategies to generate customized stem cells and using skin cells from the body eliminates the risk of rejection.
Scientists say though the technique is far from perfected, they hope they will be able to use such stem cells to treat a range of diseases such diabetes, Parkinson's disease as well as spinal injuries.
The study is published in the current issue of the journal Science.

Debunked as it relates to a "cure."

From my link, the National Institutes of Health:

The Promise of Stem Cells

Studying stem cells will help us understand how they transform into the dazzling array of specialized cells that make us what we are. Some of the most serious medical conditions, such as cancer and birth defects, are due to problems that occur somewhere in this process. A better understanding of normal cell development will allow us to understand and perhaps correct the errors that cause these medical conditions.

Another potential application of stem cells is making cells and tissues for medical therapies. Today, donated organs and tissues are often used to replace those that are diseased or destroyed. Unfortunately, the number of people needing a transplant far exceeds the number of organs available for transplantation. Pluripotent stem cells offer the possibility of a renewable source of replacement cells and tissues to treat a myriad of diseases, conditions, and disabilities including Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases, spinal cord injury, stroke, burns, heart disease, diabetes, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Have human embryonic stem cells successfully treated any human diseases?

Scientists have been able to do experiments with human embryonic stem cells (hESC) only since 1998, when a group led by Dr. James Thomson at the University of Wisconsin developed a technique to isolate and grow the cells. Moreover, Federal funds to support hESC research have been available since only August 9, 2001, when President Bush announced his decision on Federal funding for hESC research. Because many academic researchers rely on Federal funds to support their laboratories, they are just beginning to learn how to grow and use the cells. Thus, although hESC are thought to offer potential cures and therapies for many devastating diseases, research using them is still in its early stages.

Adult stem cells, such as blood-forming stem cells in bone marrow (called hematopoietic stem cells, or HSCs), are currently the only type of stem cell commonly used to treat human diseases. Doctors have been transferring HSCs in bone marrow transplants for over 40 years. More advanced techniques of collecting, or "harvesting," HSCs are now used in order to treat leukemia, lymphoma and several inherited blood disorders.

The clinical potential of adult stem cells has also been demonstrated in the treatment of other human diseases that include diabetes and advanced kidney cancer. However, these newer uses have involved studies with a very limited number of patients.

Facts .... what a beautiful thing.

#55 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,926 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

"Debunked" is a bit stong there don't you think? In fact I would say that "looking good, lets test more!" is closer to the mark.

And of course the use of adult stem cells will need a lot more work....luckily we can get at the mountains of aborted babies sure to be on the way soon and take their life force.

#56 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

"Debunked" is a bit stong there don't you think? In fact I would say that "looking good, lets test more!" is closer to the mark.

And of course the use of adult stem cells will need a lot more work....luckily we can get at the mountains of aborted babies sure to be on the way soon and take their life force.

"Debunked" in the sense that it does not support Rodeo's statement ... all we really were talking about. Accurate, I would say.

I agree that the research is good, and more is needed. I'm all in favor of curing these and other diseases, and stem cells hold promise.

#57 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,926 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

well ok then.

#58 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,619 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Isn't this thread similar to the one true religion one?
It drips with irony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.