• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

fwiw...this isn't meant to be a hate on jimmy thread.

i am genuinely interested in hearing why people think that clausen is worth giving another shot as starting QB and did well enough to say we don't need to try and upgrade.

i don't want to hear excuses about how bad the team was or the coaching was.

what was it that you saw in clausen that makes you think he will be good as a franchise QB?

#2 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

i got nothing

#3 Mr ocho nueve

Mr ocho nueve

Cam can't have my Number

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

I'd still rather have Jake back, but on the subject, the offense was horrible, injuries and coaches, Jimmy didn't help either, but I think he could turn out to be a Mark Sanchez kind of player if anything.

#4 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

It's pretty simple

You need a 2nd/3rd stringer and it's always a nice idea to have someone who could develop. Clausen did have some potential coming out of college and sometimes it takes the young guys season or two to really let the game slow down.

He's cheap and he had potential, why wouldn't you keep him?

#5 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

It's pretty simple

You need a 2nd/3rd stringer and it's always a nice idea to have someone who could develop. Clausen did have some potential coming out of college and sometimes it takes the young guys season or two to really let the game slow down.

The question was start him not keep him.

sure you keep him on the lottery chance that he develops into a serviceable QB

#6 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

I'd still rather have Jake back, but on the subject, the offense was horrible, injuries and coaches, Jimmy didn't help either, but I think he could turn out to be a Mark Sanchez kind of player if anything.

no excuses on why he did bad, what did you see him do that makes you think "mark sanchez type of player"?

#7 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

It's pretty simple

Agreed and moreover, people are somehow expecting that any QB we'll draft will be a rock star. It doesn't really work like that, no matter how accomplished the prospect is, put him under the microscope for a few months and you may realise that he's not all that. If I'm convinced that another player is safer, more talented or a combination of the 2, than I am very happy to go that route. It's better to do than to commit to a big name QB for a few years sucking balls.

#8 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

The question was start him not keep him.

sure you keep him on the lottery chance that he develops into a serviceable QB

Not seen too many people who think he should definitely start, however you draft Luck and then see who picks up the offense quicker between the two.

If Clausen plays well next year in camp and pre-season, well enough to allow Luck a year on the bench (provided he declares & is drafted), why wouldn't you do that? It drives his price up in case of trade suitors...

#9 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

no excuses on why he did bad, what did you see him do that makes you think "mark sanchez type of player"?

Other than TDs, Clausen's numbers are pretty much on the same ratio to Sam Bradford's...

#10 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

It's pretty simple

that wasn't the question.

the question is why would you stick with him as a starter and not try to upgrade?

#11 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Not seen too many people who think he should definitely start, however you draft Luck and then see who picks up the offense quicker between the two.

If Clausen plays well next year in camp and pre-season, well enough to allow Luck a year on the bench (provided he declares & is drafted), why wouldn't you do that? It drives his price up in case of trade suitors...

He looked bad enough that he should start the year at #3 or #4. If by some miracle he plays his way back into the starter role then fine.

If Clausen is one of our starting options in week 1 next year we are fux0red and I will be sending Anthrax to the front office.

That is hyperbole to make a point by the way, don't call the FBI

#12 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

He actually started to play like he had some balls yesterday. Little too late though.

#13 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Other than TDs, Clausen's numbers are pretty much on the same ratio to Sam Bradford's...

in what alternate universe?

#14 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

This season was definately more difficult than others to evaluate Clausen with the lame duck coach, horrible play calling, and other. I almost said lack of talent on offense but not sure it was that bad and it was more the fault of coaches, play calling, the oline and then Clausen not being that good.

I am all for hanging on to him and seeing if he can develope BUT not at the cost of passing on a QB that is 1st round talent and also could become a franchise guy. This team desperately needs a QB and having two plus a veteran on the roster is not a bad thing. Use the freed up money on free agents and other draft picks to fill the other needs.

#15 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

that wasn't the question.

the question is why would you stick with him as a starter and not try to upgrade?

I'm perplexed, who is actually saying we shouldn't try to upgrade over him? I haven't seen hardly anyone claim that, with even those feeling he has gotten a raw deal still in the belief we should draft Luck if possible.

Honestly, if Luck does not declare I feel it makes most sense to stick with Clausen rather than reaching for Newton etc.

To try and answer your actual question?

1. He is careful with the ball, not once having a multiple interception game, this is hugely important in our run first philosophy (which is due to change)
2. He has shown progression through the season (albeit small)
3. His progression in college was pretty significant, where he came off a first season not too dissimilar to this one (shows he has mental toughness to not give up)
4. He does have good short accuracy and in a hybrid offensive scheme we could have a good balance (similar to Harbaugh's scheme)
5. Other than Luck we will almost certainly endure the same difficulties he went through with the other rookie QBs
6. His potential has to have gone somewhere, give him a chance and he could blossom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.