Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why stick with Jimmy Clausen?

62 posts in this topic

Posted

fwiw...this isn't meant to be a hate on jimmy thread.

i am genuinely interested in hearing why people think that clausen is worth giving another shot as starting QB and did well enough to say we don't need to try and upgrade.

i don't want to hear excuses about how bad the team was or the coaching was.

what was it that you saw in clausen that makes you think he will be good as a franchise QB?

Posted

i got nothing

Posted

I'd still rather have Jake back, but on the subject, the offense was horrible, injuries and coaches, Jimmy didn't help either, but I think he could turn out to be a Mark Sanchez kind of player if anything.

Posted

It's pretty simple

You need a 2nd/3rd stringer and it's always a nice idea to have someone who could develop. Clausen did have some potential coming out of college and sometimes it takes the young guys season or two to really let the game slow down.

He's cheap and he had potential, why wouldn't you keep him?

Posted

It's pretty simple

You need a 2nd/3rd stringer and it's always a nice idea to have someone who could develop. Clausen did have some potential coming out of college and sometimes it takes the young guys season or two to really let the game slow down.

The question was start him not keep him.

sure you keep him on the lottery chance that he develops into a serviceable QB

Posted

I'd still rather have Jake back, but on the subject, the offense was horrible, injuries and coaches, Jimmy didn't help either, but I think he could turn out to be a Mark Sanchez kind of player if anything.
no excuses on why he did bad, what did you see him do that makes you think "mark sanchez type of player"?

Posted

It's pretty simple

Agreed and moreover, people are somehow expecting that any QB we'll draft will be a rock star. It doesn't really work like that, no matter how accomplished the prospect is, put him under the microscope for a few months and you may realise that he's not all that. If I'm convinced that another player is safer, more talented or a combination of the 2, than I am very happy to go that route. It's better to do than to commit to a big name QB for a few years sucking balls.

Posted

The question was start him not keep him.

sure you keep him on the lottery chance that he develops into a serviceable QB

Not seen too many people who think he should definitely start, however you draft Luck and then see who picks up the offense quicker between the two.

If Clausen plays well next year in camp and pre-season, well enough to allow Luck a year on the bench (provided he declares & is drafted), why wouldn't you do that? It drives his price up in case of trade suitors...

Posted

no excuses on why he did bad, what did you see him do that makes you think "mark sanchez type of player"?

Other than TDs, Clausen's numbers are pretty much on the same ratio to Sam Bradford's...

Posted

It's pretty simple

that wasn't the question.

the question is why would you stick with him as a starter and not try to upgrade?

Posted

Not seen too many people who think he should definitely start, however you draft Luck and then see who picks up the offense quicker between the two.

If Clausen plays well next year in camp and pre-season, well enough to allow Luck a year on the bench (provided he declares & is drafted), why wouldn't you do that? It drives his price up in case of trade suitors...

He looked bad enough that he should start the year at #3 or #4. If by some miracle he plays his way back into the starter role then fine.

If Clausen is one of our starting options in week 1 next year we are fux0red and I will be sending Anthrax to the front office.

That is hyperbole to make a point by the way, don't call the FBI

Posted

He actually started to play like he had some balls yesterday. Little too late though.