Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why stick with Jimmy Clausen?

62 posts in this topic

Posted

Other than TDs, Clausen's numbers are pretty much on the same ratio to Sam Bradford's...

in what alternate universe?

Posted

This season was definately more difficult than others to evaluate Clausen with the lame duck coach, horrible play calling, and other. I almost said lack of talent on offense but not sure it was that bad and it was more the fault of coaches, play calling, the oline and then Clausen not being that good.

I am all for hanging on to him and seeing if he can develope BUT not at the cost of passing on a QB that is 1st round talent and also could become a franchise guy. This team desperately needs a QB and having two plus a veteran on the roster is not a bad thing. Use the freed up money on free agents and other draft picks to fill the other needs.

Posted

that wasn't the question.

the question is why would you stick with him as a starter and not try to upgrade?

I'm perplexed, who is actually saying we shouldn't try to upgrade over him? I haven't seen hardly anyone claim that, with even those feeling he has gotten a raw deal still in the belief we should draft Luck if possible.

Honestly, if Luck does not declare I feel it makes most sense to stick with Clausen rather than reaching for Newton etc.

To try and answer your actual question?

1. He is careful with the ball, not once having a multiple interception game, this is hugely important in our run first philosophy (which is due to change)

2. He has shown progression through the season (albeit small)

3. His progression in college was pretty significant, where he came off a first season not too dissimilar to this one (shows he has mental toughness to not give up)

4. He does have good short accuracy and in a hybrid offensive scheme we could have a good balance (similar to Harbaugh's scheme)

5. Other than Luck we will almost certainly endure the same difficulties he went through with the other rookie QBs

6. His potential has to have gone somewhere, give him a chance and he could blossom.

Posted

in what alternate universe?

He had half the amount of attempts

Just shy half the amount of completions

Just shy half the amount of yards

Just shy half the amount of 20+ plays

Just over half the amount of interceptions

Posted

no excuses on why he did bad, what did you see him do that makes you think "mark sanchez type of player"?

He's dirty?

Posted

Im noticing a pattern here

and since when is "half as many" close?

Posted

Clausen simply didn't play well enough to stick with him. He can hang around and compete but he's not "the guy" unless he beats out all other QBs the new coach brings in.

Posted

He had half the amount of attempts

Just shy half the amount of completions

Just shy half the amount of yards

Just shy half the amount of 20+ plays

Just over half the amount of interceptions

You on acid?

Much Worse TD to INT ratio

Much Worse QB rating

Much Worse completion percentage

Much Worse yards per game

Much Worse decision making

Much Worse throwing when there is an open guy

Much Slower feet

Much Worse mechanics

Much worse record

Terrible leader

Anyone who tries to argue that Clausen = Bradford this year is a complete retard.

Posted

Introducing the Two Head Monster at QB Clausen/Luck

Posted

I just don't think you can give up on a guy like that.

1. I think he was thrown in there too early and with players just as inexperienced as he was. Then when things weren't going well, he was taken back out. The revolving door at quarterback this year was less than helpful.

2. You said "I don't want to hear about how the team was bad," well, you can't really answer that question without taking that into consideration. If it's 8 games into the season before we have a 100 yard rusher, there's a sign that the offense isn't working. Maybe not for another team, but for a team that's built on its ability to run the football, that is an obvious sign that the offense isn't working the way it should. Factor that in with a young quarterback, young receivers, a standoffish Steve Smith and an offensive line that can't pass protect to save its life and you have the makings for a disasterous season with a 2nd round quarterback.

3. I really don't know that a season is enough to determine the guy's ability, namely because I think he was put in too early. How many seasons did Rodgers sit behind Favre before he got his shot? And now he's playing excellent football. That's not to say that Clausen is a mold of Aaron Rodgers, that's just a strong case for sitting rookie quarterbacks.

4. I really think that fans of the NFL have been spoiled by the quarterback play of recently drafted rookies. Flacco, Ryan, Bradford to a lesser extent and Roethlisberger are all guys who came in and played well, or really well, right out of the gate. I think those guys would tend to be the outliers in that particular data set, and not the trend-line.

5. I will give you this: If Andrew Luck is there, he's someone the Panthers can not pass up. He's a can't miss guy. If he's not there, I don't know that QB is the Panthers' biggest need. And yeah, that's probably a bold statement but it's one I'm willing to stand behind.

6. All things considered, I think Jimmy has done a great job of handling himself this season. He was put in a tough spot, and I think maintained poise and class throughout the season. I don't think I heard him once blame anyone. That was a big knock on him coming out and I think he responded to that criticism proactively and we saw that this season.

After just typing all that, I'm not convinced that Clausen is starter material right now, but I think he could be eventually. That being said, I'll stick with my argument that if Luck is there, you have to take him.

1 person likes this

Posted

Pike showed more than Clausen has all year with the little time he played. I think its best to trade him for a 5th. Pick up a Vet for #2 and keep Pike as #3.

Posted

Because he has no other real value at this point.