• 2,264 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

in what alternate universe?

He had half the amount of attempts
Just shy half the amount of completions
Just shy half the amount of yards
Just shy half the amount of 20+ plays
Just over half the amount of interceptions

Edited by Urrymonster, 03 January 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#17 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,560 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

no excuses on why he did bad, what did you see him do that makes you think "mark sanchez type of player"?

He's dirty?

#18 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Im noticing a pattern here

and since when is "half as many" close?

Edited by Panthercougar68, 03 January 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#19 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Clausen simply didn't play well enough to stick with him. He can hang around and compete but he's not "the guy" unless he beats out all other QBs the new coach brings in.

#20 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,546 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

He had half the amount of attempts
Just shy half the amount of completions
Just shy half the amount of yards
Just shy half the amount of 20+ plays
Just over half the amount of interceptions

You on acid?

Much Worse TD to INT ratio
Much Worse QB rating
Much Worse completion percentage
Much Worse yards per game
Much Worse decision making
Much Worse throwing when there is an open guy
Much Slower feet
Much Worse mechanics
Much worse record
Terrible leader

Anyone who tries to argue that Clausen = Bradford this year is a complete retard.

#21 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Introducing the Two Head Monster at QB Clausen/Luck

#22 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

I just don't think you can give up on a guy like that.

1. I think he was thrown in there too early and with players just as inexperienced as he was. Then when things weren't going well, he was taken back out. The revolving door at quarterback this year was less than helpful.

2. You said "I don't want to hear about how the team was bad," well, you can't really answer that question without taking that into consideration. If it's 8 games into the season before we have a 100 yard rusher, there's a sign that the offense isn't working. Maybe not for another team, but for a team that's built on its ability to run the football, that is an obvious sign that the offense isn't working the way it should. Factor that in with a young quarterback, young receivers, a standoffish Steve Smith and an offensive line that can't pass protect to save its life and you have the makings for a disasterous season with a 2nd round quarterback.

3. I really don't know that a season is enough to determine the guy's ability, namely because I think he was put in too early. How many seasons did Rodgers sit behind Favre before he got his shot? And now he's playing excellent football. That's not to say that Clausen is a mold of Aaron Rodgers, that's just a strong case for sitting rookie quarterbacks.

4. I really think that fans of the NFL have been spoiled by the quarterback play of recently drafted rookies. Flacco, Ryan, Bradford to a lesser extent and Roethlisberger are all guys who came in and played well, or really well, right out of the gate. I think those guys would tend to be the outliers in that particular data set, and not the trend-line.

5. I will give you this: If Andrew Luck is there, he's someone the Panthers can not pass up. He's a can't miss guy. If he's not there, I don't know that QB is the Panthers' biggest need. And yeah, that's probably a bold statement but it's one I'm willing to stand behind.

6. All things considered, I think Jimmy has done a great job of handling himself this season. He was put in a tough spot, and I think maintained poise and class throughout the season. I don't think I heard him once blame anyone. That was a big knock on him coming out and I think he responded to that criticism proactively and we saw that this season.

After just typing all that, I'm not convinced that Clausen is starter material right now, but I think he could be eventually. That being said, I'll stick with my argument that if Luck is there, you have to take him.

Edited by neverlosethefeeling, 03 January 2011 - 06:54 PM.

#23 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

Pike showed more than Clausen has all year with the little time he played. I think its best to trade him for a 5th. Pick up a Vet for #2 and keep Pike as #3.

#24 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

Because he has no other real value at this point.

#25 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Pike showed more than Clausen has all year with the little time he played. I think its best to trade him for a 5th. Pick up a Vet for #2 and keep Pike as #3.

With such a limited body of work from Pike, I don't know that it's fair to compare the two.

#26 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

I've seen enough of Clausen to know he isn't an NFL QB. He showed not 1 sign of progress.

#27 communist

communist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

he was a 2nd-round pick, so cutting him would be the worst idea...a trade would not bring a 2nd-rounder back, 4th-rounder would be more realistic.
it's plain and simple: you dont know whether luck really pans out as a starter from day one or not...clausen was also considered as nfl-ready and so on.

#28 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Whether or not Clausen's talent as a QB goes beyond this year, his attitude as a QB diminishes everything about him. He doesn't have that demeanor that says "I want to get better", and his teammates obviously don't feel that either. Take a look at Matt Ryan's press conference yesterday.

http://www.nfl.com/v...ress-conference

(Matt comes in at 1:49)

Yeah, he looked a little dorky but his demeanor was that of a president. Can we honestly see Clausen doing the same thing? Now look at this interview of Luck a while back.

(Starts at about 39 seconds)

Luck seems to be right at home, the leader of his team. Do you see Smith getting on Luck about not being in college anymore? Luck breathes competition, and we can see the competitive nature in his attitude. If Jimmy is still on the roster next year, we will have a new name for him. We'll call him Jimmy "shoe shine" Clausen, because he will be shining Luck's shoes every game.

#29 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,465 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

I've seen enough of Clausen to know he isn't an NFL QB. He showed not 1 sign of progress.

During Pre-season he did play exceptionally well.

#30 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

I just don't think you can give up on a guy like that.

It's not a matter of giving up. It's a matter of trusting him to be "the guy". You just can't do it. He can come back and compete for the starting spot but no way do we not address the QB position with some serious competition.

QB position is way too unstable right now, Clausen isn't enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com