Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, for those with the "one true religion" mentality...

99 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What makes your belief so correct?

Is it because you fear the ramifications of shunning your beliefs and them actually being right?

Is it because you fear "what is written" about non-believers in your religion?

Is it because you would rather be safe than sorry?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I often see both sides, believers and non-believers, slammed by the opposite sides, and I just don't see the point.

I try to let people believe what they want to believe, but as soon as I voice an opinion, I am told how I am incorrect. Really? What makes anyone an authority?

I can pretty much guarantee I have studied religion more than anyone here, yet I can also guarantee how someone would come along and tell me how I am wrong about something.

What's up with all that?

Posted · Report post

I know, I know. It's like thinking the Panthers are better than the Falcons.

Posted · Report post

God bless you.

Posted · Report post

Religion is a personal thing.

Posted · Report post

Religion is a personal thing.

Until someone questions yours, right?

Posted · Report post

Until someone questions yours, right?

No. I will defend my beliefs. That's the personal part . . . their mine.

Posted · Report post

No. I will defend my beliefs. That's the personal part . . . their mine.

they are... or they're if you prefer....

Posted · Report post

christianity is the one true religion and its god is the one true god but don't think too hard about why He chose to only show himself to one people and decided such culturally, socially and politically superior civilizations like the greeks, ancient chinese, and mayan were less prepared to receive his word than a bunch of nomadic jews no one could stand.

Posted · Report post

christianity is the one true religion and its god is the one true god but don't think too hard about why He chose to only show himself to one people and decided such culturally, socially and politically superior civilizations like the greeks, ancient chinese, and mayan were less prepared to receive his word than a bunch of nomadic jews no one could stand.

Christianity is not the only religion to play the "exclusive" card.

Posted · Report post

they are... or they're if you prefer....

Yeah. That's what I meant. Just typing too fast. Thanks, Grammar Police. :seeya:

Posted · Report post

Christianity is not the only religion to play the "exclusive" card.

yes i know that would be a bad operating model

Posted · Report post

Yeah. That's what I meant. Just typing too fast. Thanks, Grammar Police. :seeya:

I guess you missed the whole issue when it was brought up earlier.. not by myself I might add...

Posted · Report post

What makes your belief so correct?

Is it because you fear the ramifications of shunning your beliefs and them actually being right?

Is it because you fear "what is written" about non-believers in your religion?

Is it because you would rather be safe than sorry?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I often see both sides, believers and non-believers, slammed by the opposite sides, and I just don't see the point.

I try to let people believe what they want to believe, but as soon as I voice an opinion, I am told how I am incorrect. Really? What makes anyone an authority?

I can pretty much guarantee I have studied religion more than anyone here, yet I can also guarantee how someone would come along and tell me how I am wrong about something.

What's up with all that?

I can't speak for anyone other than myself. My walk with the Lord is not about being right or wrong. It's not an insurance policy for eternity. It's a relationship. I have a real tangible relationship with God. God is not some mystical energy field, or mythical being, or some higher plan of existence that you have to achieve. God to me is very real. I know it because of all the time I spend with him. Studding his word, meditating on his word, listening to his word being preached, praying to him constantly. I'm in a continual never ending relationship with a living loving God. I just know it's true like I know waters wet, and the sky is blue. Because I have experienced it for myself. I have seen how God has impacted my life and the lives of the people around me.

I'm sorry that people attack you for stating your opinion about religion. I have had similar experiences too.

Posted · Report post

Christianity is the one true religion and its god is the one true god but don't think too hard about why He chose to only show himself to one people and decided such culturally, socially and politically superior civilizations like the Greeks, ancient Chinese, and Mayan were less prepared to receive his word than a bunch of nomadic Jews no one could stand.

Actually God started with just one man, Abraham. From Abraham God created a new nation of people, that were suppose to be holy and set a part for God's work. The idea was to create a priestly nation who then could minister to the rest of the world.

I guess God decided it would be best to start fresh and create a new nation than to try and use one of the "superior civilizations" that already existed.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, it's not like all those civilizations would have any problem listening to priests of a God that had decided that they were inferior or anything. Can't see any issues with that logic, it's guaranteed success!

Posted · Report post

The whole thing with me is I don't "get" the whole idolism thing that there is this supreme being out there.

You know what I worship, if anything? The Sun. The Ancient Egyptians were on to something. The sun provides the earth with light, heat, certain nutrients, long-term stability, etc.

Posted · Report post

Actually God started with just one man, Abraham.

nope nothing suspicious about that

The idea was to create a priestly nation who then could minister to the rest of the world.

so in order to preach to the rest of the world god chose the least influential people possible that makes sense

I guess God decided it would be best to start fresh and create a new nation than to try and use one of the "superior civilizations" that already existed.

so the people who came up with the ideals that what many consider his eventual christian nation would be founded upon didn't get to be in the club

that is the least sensible thing i can think of

Posted · Report post

Trying to understand something that requires faith with logic is an intellecutal treadmill.

Posted · Report post

That's because faith in stuff like this is indefensible. I could claim Wierd Al is God and have as much, if not more, to go on than Christians do. It's pretty ridiculous.

If God exists, He gave us a brain. Not using it is by default against His design.

Posted · Report post

That's because faith in stuff like this is indefensible. I could claim Wierd Al is God and have as much, if not more, to go on than Christians do. It's pretty ridiculous.

If God exists, He gave us a brain. Not using it is by default against His design.

i agree...who wouldve thought?

Posted · Report post

nope nothing suspicious about that

being skeptical is natural it's okay, even those with Faith are skeptical sometimes, you do understand that right

so in order to preach to the rest of the world god chose the least influential people possible that makes sense

if you read the Bible you would see He actually explains the reason behind this:

seehttp://www.gotquestions.org/why-God-choose-Israel.html (yes it's a Christian site, don't worry you won't get cooties)

so the people who came up with the ideals that what many consider his eventual christian nation would be founded upon didn't get to be in the club

that is the least sensible thing i can think of

an established government, religion, social structure, yep they would have been completely humbled and willing to accept, lastly it would take a very long discussion for you to understand why so many Jews rejected Jesus and why so many accepted Him, that same website has those answers but like most your heart is already closed and completely biased against anything religous

Posted · Report post

being skeptical is natural it's okay, even those with Faith are skeptical sometimes, you do understand that right

no i do not understand believing in something that doesn't make any sense

if you read the Bible you would see He actually explains the reason behind this:

seehttp://www.gotquestions.org/why-God-choose-Israel.html (yes it's a Christian site, don't worry you won't get cooties)

that actually doesn't explain it at all to be honest.

However, God’s reason for choosing the nation of Israel was not solely for the purpose of producing the Messiah. God’s desire for Israel was that they would go and teach others about Him. Israel was to be a nation of priests, prophets, and missionaries to the world. God’s intent was for Israel to be a distinct people, a nation of people who pointed others towards God and His promised provision of a Redeemer, Messiah, and Savior. For the most part, Israel failed in this task. However, God’s ultimate purpose for Israel, that of bringing for the Messiah and Savior, was fulfilled perfectly in the Person of Jesus Christ.

all of this could have been better accomplished by picking a people and civilization with better leaders, armies, and infrastructure.

instead he picked the most insignificant lunatics he could find.

i mean really how do you people believe this?

an established government, religion, social structure, yep they would have been completely humbled and willing to accept,

it's not as if god has ever objected to overthrowing existing governments, religions, and social structures

lastly it would take a very long discussion for you to understand why so many Jews rejected Jesus and why so many accepted Him,

I actually know all about that because I went to catholic schools

jews wanted a military leader and didn't know how to deal with a dude preaching wealth redistribution and nonviolence, which in all honesty is a pretty cool message.

proof even back then jews were jingoistic warmongers.

that same website has those answers

are the answers as irrelevant and unsubstantial as the one you already linked because that made me laugh a little bit.

Posted · Report post

Your intellectual arrogance is somewhat frustrating, really no matter what answer I was to post it wouldn't suffice for you. You are abrasive and completely biased, really that entire website is crap, obviously Christians built it. Your lack of Faith doesn't make me want to impose upon you or preach at you, you have already chosen your path and made it crystal clear. Why then do you wish to, (along with others), make incessant conversations about Faith and those that have it? Are you hoping we could make some miraculous point or produce impeccable evidence to unveil the contrary to your stance?

I seriously doubt that even if something so great was to happen you would still dismiss it anyway....or at least claim that science or logic is to overwhelming.

Posted · Report post

Your intellectual arrogance is somewhat frustrating, really no matter what answer I was to post it wouldn't suffice for you.

:lol:

You've come here:

[ame]

[/ame]

Posted · Report post

Being an agnostic is the only intellectually honest stance, imo.

I don't pretend to absolutely know the answer, but I don't discount the possibilities.

There may be a God, there may not be. If there is, he/she/it has decided to sit back and watch from a distance.