Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, for those with the "one true religion" mentality...

99 posts in this topic

Posted

Being an agnostic is the only intellectually honest stance, imo.

I don't pretend to absolutely know the answer, but I don't discount the possibilities.

There may be a God, there may not be. If there is, he/she/it has decided to sit back and watch from a distance.

Posted

Your intellectual arrogance is somewhat frustrating, really no matter what answer I was to post it wouldn't suffice for you. You are abrasive and completely biased, really that entire website is crap, obviously Christians built it. Your lack of Faith doesn't make me want to impose upon you or preach at you, you have already chosen your path and made it crystal clear. Why then do you wish to, (along with others), make incessant conversations about Faith and those that have it? Are you hoping we could make some miraculous point or produce impeccable evidence to unveil the contrary to your stance?

I seriously doubt that even if something so great was to happen you would still dismiss it anyway....or at least claim that science or logic is to overwhelming.

Yes, we want you do make a miraculous point. Impeccable evidence is not required, just something that makes sense.

You all need to face the fact that if were born in Israel you would most likely be Jews; if you were born in Saudi Arabia you would most likely be Muslims, and so on. This in and of itself is a very simple answer to the "one true religion" argument. One has to be absolutely blind not to see the truth staring you in the face there.

I asked a girlfriend a couple of years ago if she thought that if she was born in a remote town in China, she would still be a Christian. She said "of course" but when I asked her how that could be, she had no answer, and it was like she never considered the possibility. Then she got mad at me for asking the question. As mentioned earlier here, Martin Luther had it right when it came to the problem of controlling the masses - just tell them to be stupid and believe what you say, and a lot of them will be happy to oblige.

Posted

6009.jpg

Posted

Your intellectual arrogance is somewhat frustrating, really no matter what answer I was to post it wouldn't suffice for you. You are abrasive and completely biased, really that entire website is crap, obviously Christians built it. Your lack of Faith doesn't make me want to impose upon you or preach at you, you have already chosen your path and made it crystal clear. Why then do you wish to, (along with others), make incessant conversations about Faith and those that have it? Are you hoping we could make some miraculous point or produce impeccable evidence to unveil the contrary to your stance?

I seriously doubt that even if something so great was to happen you would still dismiss it anyway....or at least claim that science or logic is to overwhelming.

wow you ran back onto the cross pretty quickly

Posted

Being an agnostic is the only intellectually honest stance, imo.

I don't pretend to absolutely know the answer, but I don't discount the possibilities.

There may be a God, there may not be. If there is, he/she/it has decided to sit back and watch from a distance.

Amen.

Posted

I feel like agnostic, in this climate, is lukewarm.

When you say that, it tells people you hold out the possibility that their belief in Christianity as represented in the Bible might be correct.

I hold that possibility as likely as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, therefore I prefer the term de facto atheist, since I acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE they are correct, but I think it as likely as Zeus, Buddha, Wotan, the aforementioned monster, or that I may have fairie folk living in my garden.

it is POSSIBLE, but really really damn unlikely.

A god (little G) that created/started stuff but is now aloof?

maybe.

God as defined by most/many......I'll say atheist to make sure they get the point.

Posted

God is like Santa Claus, but for grownups...

Posted

Religion just takes the truth and hides it behind a series of silly fairy tales. I guess that makes god the "truth fairy"

Posted

Barack Obama is like Santa Claus, but for grownups...

:confused:

Posted

:confused:

I was misquoted... like Jesus in a way I suppose...

Posted

wow you ran back onto the cross pretty quickly

Good quippy one liner Fiz if you can't be a jerk then you have to deflect it, "ran to back to the cross'', really i'm hiding behind it, accept the fact that nothing I post will matter to you, you really don't care about discussion you just want to enjoy thinking your way of life is superior because you lack faith.

Posted

Yes, we want you do make a miraculous point. Impeccable evidence is not required, just something that makes sense.

You all need to face the fact that if were born in Israel you would most likely be Jews; if you were born in Saudi Arabia you would most likely be Muslims, and so on. This in and of itself is a very simple answer to the "one true religion" argument. One has to be absolutely blind not to see the truth staring you in the face there.

I asked a girlfriend a couple of years ago if she thought that if she was born in a remote town in China, she would still be a Christian. She said "of course" but when I asked her how that could be, she had no answer, and it was like she never considered the possibility. Then she got mad at me for asking the question. As mentioned earlier here, Martin Luther had it right when it came to the problem of controlling the masses - just tell them to be stupid and believe what you say, and a lot of them will be happy to oblige.

I could answer it simply, you were born in a predominant Christian nation however you are not.....

If your method is so correct how come it's already broken.