Photo
- - - - -

So, for those with the "one true religion" mentality...

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#16 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,154 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

The whole thing with me is I don't "get" the whole idolism thing that there is this supreme being out there.

You know what I worship, if anything? The Sun. The Ancient Egyptians were on to something. The sun provides the earth with light, heat, certain nutrients, long-term stability, etc.

#17 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

Actually God started with just one man, Abraham.

nope nothing suspicious about that

The idea was to create a priestly nation who then could minister to the rest of the world.

so in order to preach to the rest of the world god chose the least influential people possible that makes sense

I guess God decided it would be best to start fresh and create a new nation than to try and use one of the "superior civilizations" that already existed.

so the people who came up with the ideals that what many consider his eventual christian nation would be founded upon didn't get to be in the club

that is the least sensible thing i can think of

#18 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,277 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Trying to understand something that requires faith with logic is an intellecutal treadmill.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

That's because faith in stuff like this is indefensible. I could claim Wierd Al is God and have as much, if not more, to go on than Christians do. It's pretty ridiculous.

If God exists, He gave us a brain. Not using it is by default against His design.

#20 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

That's because faith in stuff like this is indefensible. I could claim Wierd Al is God and have as much, if not more, to go on than Christians do. It's pretty ridiculous.

If God exists, He gave us a brain. Not using it is by default against His design.

i agree...who wouldve thought?

#21 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

nope nothing suspicious about that

being skeptical is natural it's okay, even those with Faith are skeptical sometimes, you do understand that right

so in order to preach to the rest of the world god chose the least influential people possible that makes sense

if you read the Bible you would see He actually explains the reason behind this:
seehttp://www.gotquesti...ose-Israel.html (yes it's a Christian site, don't worry you won't get cooties)

so the people who came up with the ideals that what many consider his eventual christian nation would be founded upon didn't get to be in the club

that is the least sensible thing i can think of

an established government, religion, social structure, yep they would have been completely humbled and willing to accept, lastly it would take a very long discussion for you to understand why so many Jews rejected Jesus and why so many accepted Him, that same website has those answers but like most your heart is already closed and completely biased against anything religous

#22 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

being skeptical is natural it's okay, even those with Faith are skeptical sometimes, you do understand that right

no i do not understand believing in something that doesn't make any sense

if you read the Bible you would see He actually explains the reason behind this:
seehttp://www.gotquesti...ose-Israel.html (yes it's a Christian site, don't worry you won't get cooties)

that actually doesn't explain it at all to be honest.

However, God’s reason for choosing the nation of Israel was not solely for the purpose of producing the Messiah. God’s desire for Israel was that they would go and teach others about Him. Israel was to be a nation of priests, prophets, and missionaries to the world. God’s intent was for Israel to be a distinct people, a nation of people who pointed others towards God and His promised provision of a Redeemer, Messiah, and Savior. For the most part, Israel failed in this task. However, God’s ultimate purpose for Israel, that of bringing for the Messiah and Savior, was fulfilled perfectly in the Person of Jesus Christ.

all of this could have been better accomplished by picking a people and civilization with better leaders, armies, and infrastructure.

instead he picked the most insignificant lunatics he could find.

i mean really how do you people believe this?

an established government, religion, social structure, yep they would have been completely humbled and willing to accept,

it's not as if god has ever objected to overthrowing existing governments, religions, and social structures

lastly it would take a very long discussion for you to understand why so many Jews rejected Jesus and why so many accepted Him,

I actually know all about that because I went to catholic schools

jews wanted a military leader and didn't know how to deal with a dude preaching wealth redistribution and nonviolence, which in all honesty is a pretty cool message.

proof even back then jews were jingoistic warmongers.

that same website has those answers

are the answers as irrelevant and unsubstantial as the one you already linked because that made me laugh a little bit.

#23 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:17 AM

Your intellectual arrogance is somewhat frustrating, really no matter what answer I was to post it wouldn't suffice for you. You are abrasive and completely biased, really that entire website is crap, obviously Christians built it. Your lack of Faith doesn't make me want to impose upon you or preach at you, you have already chosen your path and made it crystal clear. Why then do you wish to, (along with others), make incessant conversations about Faith and those that have it? Are you hoping we could make some miraculous point or produce impeccable evidence to unveil the contrary to your stance?

I seriously doubt that even if something so great was to happen you would still dismiss it anyway....or at least claim that science or logic is to overwhelming.

#24 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:38 AM

Your intellectual arrogance is somewhat frustrating, really no matter what answer I was to post it wouldn't suffice for you.

:lol:

You've come here:

[ame][/ame]

#25 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

Being an agnostic is the only intellectually honest stance, imo.

I don't pretend to absolutely know the answer, but I don't discount the possibilities.

There may be a God, there may not be. If there is, he/she/it has decided to sit back and watch from a distance.

#26 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Your intellectual arrogance is somewhat frustrating, really no matter what answer I was to post it wouldn't suffice for you. You are abrasive and completely biased, really that entire website is crap, obviously Christians built it. Your lack of Faith doesn't make me want to impose upon you or preach at you, you have already chosen your path and made it crystal clear. Why then do you wish to, (along with others), make incessant conversations about Faith and those that have it? Are you hoping we could make some miraculous point or produce impeccable evidence to unveil the contrary to your stance?

I seriously doubt that even if something so great was to happen you would still dismiss it anyway....or at least claim that science or logic is to overwhelming.

Yes, we want you do make a miraculous point. Impeccable evidence is not required, just something that makes sense.

You all need to face the fact that if were born in Israel you would most likely be Jews; if you were born in Saudi Arabia you would most likely be Muslims, and so on. This in and of itself is a very simple answer to the "one true religion" argument. One has to be absolutely blind not to see the truth staring you in the face there.

I asked a girlfriend a couple of years ago if she thought that if she was born in a remote town in China, she would still be a Christian. She said "of course" but when I asked her how that could be, she had no answer, and it was like she never considered the possibility. Then she got mad at me for asking the question. As mentioned earlier here, Martin Luther had it right when it came to the problem of controlling the masses - just tell them to be stupid and believe what you say, and a lot of them will be happy to oblige.

Edited by cookinwithgas, 02 February 2009 - 12:29 PM.

#27 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

Posted Image

#28 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

wow you ran back onto the cross pretty quickly

#29 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

Being an agnostic is the only intellectually honest stance, imo.

I don't pretend to absolutely know the answer, but I don't discount the possibilities.

There may be a God, there may not be. If there is, he/she/it has decided to sit back and watch from a distance.

Amen.

#30 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

I feel like agnostic, in this climate, is lukewarm.

When you say that, it tells people you hold out the possibility that their belief in Christianity as represented in the Bible might be correct.

I hold that possibility as likely as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, therefore I prefer the term de facto atheist, since I acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE they are correct, but I think it as likely as Zeus, Buddha, Wotan, the aforementioned monster, or that I may have fairie folk living in my garden.

it is POSSIBLE, but really really damn unlikely.

A god (little G) that created/started stuff but is now aloof?
maybe.

God as defined by most/many......I'll say atheist to make sure they get the point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com