Photo
- - - - -

So, for those with the "one true religion" mentality...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#31 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

God is like Santa Claus, but for grownups...

#32 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

Religion just takes the truth and hides it behind a series of silly fairy tales. I guess that makes god the "truth fairy"

#33 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,485 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

Barack Obama is like Santa Claus, but for grownups...

:confused:

#34 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

:confused:

I was misquoted... like Jesus in a way I suppose...

#35 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

wow you ran back onto the cross pretty quickly

Good quippy one liner Fiz if you can't be a jerk then you have to deflect it, "ran to back to the cross'', really i'm hiding behind it, accept the fact that nothing I post will matter to you, you really don't care about discussion you just want to enjoy thinking your way of life is superior because you lack faith.

#36 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

Yes, we want you do make a miraculous point. Impeccable evidence is not required, just something that makes sense.

You all need to face the fact that if were born in Israel you would most likely be Jews; if you were born in Saudi Arabia you would most likely be Muslims, and so on. This in and of itself is a very simple answer to the "one true religion" argument. One has to be absolutely blind not to see the truth staring you in the face there.

I asked a girlfriend a couple of years ago if she thought that if she was born in a remote town in China, she would still be a Christian. She said "of course" but when I asked her how that could be, she had no answer, and it was like she never considered the possibility. Then she got mad at me for asking the question. As mentioned earlier here, Martin Luther had it right when it came to the problem of controlling the masses - just tell them to be stupid and believe what you say, and a lot of them will be happy to oblige.

I could answer it simply, you were born in a predominant Christian nation however you are not.....

If your method is so correct how come it's already broken.

#37 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

When you say he or she might be watching from a distance you couldnt be farther from the truth and alot of that has to do with refusing to acknowledge him or look for him. I see him show up daily when my homeless ministry gets low and we pray about it and the next thing you know we have a surplus. I have seen things in my daily walk with God that cements it for me and the more I have Faith in him and believe the more he shows up. I hurt for you guys that have never experienced God in your life. If you did just one time there wouldnt be any way you could deny it. I love his comfort when Im hurting. I have been in situations where I should have been dead and he was there. Its a personal relationship that I have that is Real. God is alive and he does care about our daily lives but if you deny him and swear he doesnt exist then you wont see him show up. But God isnt in some far away place in the galaxy looking down on us to punish us every chance he gets he loves us. He loves us enough to let us make our own decisions and our own mistakes. He didnt want a bunch of robots. I pray for guys daily. I pray that God would reveal himself to you in such a way that you couldnt deny him.

#38 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

I wasnt born in Israel but Im Christian? That also blows that therory out of the water. I find it a little odd that something that started with a band of poor rejects has had the staying power that its had for over 2000 years. What else out there has withstood the test of time like this thru so many skeptics and so many people that have a hatred for it. I guess Martin Luther never guessed there would be that many stupid people. I like being on of the stupid ones. It makes it alot easier to get along with most of you in here.

#39 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

What you said there...I don't think it means what you think it means.

If you were born in Israel, you would most likely become a Jew, not a Christian. I would not be all that proud of the Jews record through history; for being Gods chosen people they certainly have had a lot of terrible luck. From being divinely selected to tell us what God is all about to consistently being ridiculed, thrown out of countries, and slaughtered en masse does not seem like a good deal unless you like to suffer for some reason.

As far as the Christian religions rise, hey, even Scientology started with one whacko and its now got what - hundreds of thousands of adherents? In 40-50 years or something like that? Imagine how well one guy with a plan could do with hundreds of isolated European villiages populated by people who can't even read.

Sorry Tattoo, I really do respect your ability to feel the way you do - but if He chooses not to reveal Himself to me, does it say more about Him or myself? Or maybe just maybe...I need to believe first, then just attribute the good things in life to Him as they come along. Like kids and Santa Claus.

#40 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

I could answer it simply, you were born in a predominant Christian nation however you are not.....

If your method is so correct how come it's already broken.

Posted Image Epic Fail.

What difference should it make where I am born? Does Christ only care about Western European civilization?

#41 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

What else out there has withstood the test of time like this thru so many skeptics and so many people that have a hatred for it.

all the religions that are older than christianity

What difference should it make where I am born? Does Christ only care about Western European civilization?

depends on what era we're talking about. God didn't care much for South America, for example, back when the conquistadors were wiping out ethnic civilizations in his name.

Good quippy one liner Fiz if you can't be a jerk then you have to deflect it, "ran to back to the cross'', really i'm hiding behind it, accept the fact that nothing I post will matter to you, you really don't care about discussion you just want to enjoy thinking your way of life is superior because you lack faith.

this paragraph makes no sense because you cannot type well.

#42 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

I don't think Fiz - or anyone else here for that matter - feels "superior" based on religious beliefs. Most of us have expressed that we don't get it, and most of the believers felt that they had some type of call or awakening that the rest of us have somehow been denied, and they pray for us to get it. It all makes no sense; I mean, does God love you better so he let you in on His secret? Or does He love us more because he is making you believe in silly things?

#43 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

I don't think Fiz - or anyone else here for that matter - feels "superior" based on religious beliefs. Most of us have expressed that we don't get it, and most of the believers felt that they had some type of call or awakening that the rest of us have somehow been denied, and they pray for us to get it. It all makes no sense; I mean, does God love you better so he let you in on His secret? Or does He love us more because he is making you believe in silly things?

I prefer the notion that God is speaking to each and every one of us. The signs are everywhere. It is a choice to make whether or not to listen. Listening usually is done with the heart, not with any of your five senses.

#44 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

Rob Bell presents this in an unique way. For those who are interested

[ame][/ame]

#45 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have very compelling personal testimonies that would lead one to believe there is a god and that I should be a very religious person... I'm talking about poo that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end.... very very Christian stuff...

However, to me at least, that would make me "special," and I refuse to believe that anyone, made by a creator or not, is better than anyone else... that includes myself...

I guess my main arguments to an omnipotent SINGLE entity is that all the bad poo in this world still happens, and it's a bullshit cop out to say that we are subjected to these things because Satan exists, or as trials, or anything like that...

It's my personal belief that all religions (except poo like Scientology, because frankly, I could have come up with something better than that) have a basis that is correct, in that there is a creative FORCE in the universe.. It isn't one thing, but at the same time we are all a part of that one thing (if that makes any sense at all)...

Satan and Hell, and all things associated with it are boogeyman stories used for control tactics... Hell is really a state of mind that you subject yourself to by making shitty decisions with your life... Your good deeds are generally returned because of positive energy, and once you die, I'm not sure.... I think it's nice to believe that positive energy collects in one bright corner of the universe, or recycles itself throughout the ages to counter the negative energy... There is always balance, even though at times it seems like it leans towards negative...

Eastern philosophy seems to be the most accurate in my mind, as it focuses on said energies... Old Eastern philosophy also had a lot less political interference than popular history would have you believe, and certainly a lot less than any of the 3 Abrahamic religions... Hell, even Hinduism itself is a lot closer to my belief system, but the big 3 would shun that because of the multiple deities....

If anyone wants to hear my personal stories or testimonies, I could share... and believe it or not, it's more close to a Christian thing than anything else at all.. They were (well, one in particular) the defining moments in my life that led me to study religion at all after my church rearing childhood...

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com