Photo
- - - - -

Great Artice on JR by Rick Bonnell

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,273 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

I've flamed Bonnell before for the way he covers the Bobcats, but I'm right on with him here... This may be the best piece he has EVER done. Awesome and right on the money with how I felt about today's presser.

As I mentioned in the aftermath threads, him mentioning for us to buy more Bojangles so he and his wife can live... Talking trash to the beat writers... The way he handled the Harbaugh questions... A great deal of it was so nonchalant, that it was offensive. And yes, the tone was generally condescending.

Anyway, here's a part of it, as I don't think I'm allowed to post the whole thing:

http://blogs.charlot...tte-sports.html

A bizarre moment in Charlotte sports

I never thought I’d hear myself say this, but the Charlotte Bobcats have a more humble, transparent and practical owner than the Carolina Panthers.

Did you see or hear Jerry Richardson’s press conference Tuesday? I listened on WFNZ, while waiting for the Bobcats to finish practice. It was the first time Richardson has made himself available to whatever media wanted to show up in roughly a decade.

As someone who has always liked Richardson, who found him cordial and personable, I was embarrassed by his attitude.

He was flippant, he was condescending and he was certainly patronizing toward women among his questioners. I appreciate that Richardson has gone through some terrible times health-wise, and I also appreciate that he’s better in small groups. His strength is what politicos call “retail politics’’ rather than “wholesale politics.’’

But that doesn’t excuse what I heard. The vast majority of questions asked Tuesday were not just reasonable, they were obligatory. Way too often, Richardson would simply parry off fair inquiries with impatience or clumsy efforts at distraction.

You really shouldn’t gather your thoughts by stopping mid-sentence to ask who someone is, and you certainly shouldn’t ask the pretty blonde from the Fox affiliate to move to the front row. You also shouldn’t talk down to beat writers who have covered this team forever the first time those people get to ask you a question in a decade.

I wondered what happened to the guy who said, “Thank you, thank you, thank you’’ to the original PSL holders who made the stadium happen. I never got the sense it registers on Richardson that the people asking questions Tuesday were proxies for his customers.

The irony is the actual PSL holders would have been far less respectful if they had been questioning him.

... (continued)

Edited by Proudiddy, 04 January 2011 - 11:45 PM.

#2 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

Pretty much what I took from the press conference.

Did he get a "heart transfer" from a dickhead?

#3 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:43 PM

JR's the boss and got tired of the poo. Deal with it.

#4 Jaxel

Jaxel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

Thought he was more funny that a dick... think some of you guys take this stuff too personally...

#5 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 16,273 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

JR's the boss and got tired of the poo. Deal with it.

what is "the poo"? The "poo" he made?

#6 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

Reporters protecting Reporters.

#7 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

Thought he was more funny that a dick... think some of you guys take this stuff too personally...

So maybe fans were to take the apology less seriously.

Roger.

#8 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,485 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

don't agree at all.

#9 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

JR said nothing out of character and he has a personal relationship with Morgan Fogarty. You guys are just butt hurt because he didn't say we were going to hire Jim Harbaugh.

#10 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,840 posts

the stuff with Fogarty was kinda funny if you know their history, but I can understand why people would take it the wrong way.

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Did you all listen to the entire press conference?

Flippant is the perfect word to describe it....blond chick stuff aside.

#12 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

That article made me hungry for a gravy biscuit

#13 Jaxel

Jaxel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

So maybe fans were to take the apology less seriously.

Roger.

You probably don't know what JR's personality is compared to those at the conference... since he rarely talks... this could have been normal... not my fault some reporters got butt hurt for getting some pretty direct answers.

#14 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

I didn't agree with everything he said, but I actually respected him and have trust and faith in our front office right now.

#15 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 16,273 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

Reporters protecting Reporters.

Yeah, I do think he (Bonnell) went over the top with the female reporter thing, that didn't even come into my equation... I just thought he was being flirty, which while I thought was unprofessional, didn't factor into his overall attitude.

I did think some of the stuff he said was light-hearted and humorous, but I really don't think that was the place or time for that. When asked about the future of the franchise/ownership he completely side-stepped the question. He then told the reporter of how his heart was probably younger than the reporters, etc. You saw/heard it Kurb... Which to me is somewhat in bad taste, because I guarantee you there was plenty of people awaiting the same transplant that didn't get that opportunity he did - because of money.

I don't hold that against JR, or fault him for celebrating that new heart or life, but it just seemed out of place. The way he treated Darin... Drawing up a diagram like everyone watching was kindergartners gathered around on the carpet for storytime. And just going back to the money, when he just raised ticket prices for a 2-14 season, yet joked to keep putting money in his pockets.

(BTW, could you please edit my title to include the "L" in article so I don't feel like an ignorant douche for the rest of the night, lol, thanks buddy.)

Edited by Proudiddy, 04 January 2011 - 11:55 PM.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com