Photo
- - - - -

Is the QB the only thing anyone cares about anymore?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#1 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Am I the only person here that remembers us getting to a superbowl with a scrub QB that played in Europe and being 3 points away from winning it all? Seriously, doesn't anybody care about having an all around solid team anymore? I'd rather have a great supporting cast that can make the QB's job easier no matter who's back there.

I'd rather have a dominating O-line like we did in the past, a dominating run game and a defense that can stop opponents. Now I'm not saying I want us to be one dimensional all over again, but I don't want to TRADE one thing for another.

If we do that, then that's exactly what we're going to be. Except this time, it will be reversed. I don't want to go from being the one dimensional Panthers to the one dimensional Chiefs.

It seems like we are still having the same conversations we've been having for the past two years, and almost identical to those of last year, just a different cast. What about the rest of our positions?

#2 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

The league has changed, points are needed to win. That starts at the QB position.

#3 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

QB driven league, look around...for the 1000th time

#4 malik

malik

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

jake could make a throw when he put his heart in it. Clausen sucks.

/ thread

#5 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,906 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

One would hope that the rest of our positions will be taken care of, too, but quarterback is the most glaring hole in Carolina today.

You're right, this is the same conversation we've been having for years. You know what can really change it? A franchise QB.

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

Am I the only person here that remembers us getting to a superbowl with a scrub QB that played in Europe and being 3 points away from winning it all? Seriously, doesn't anybody care about having an all around solid team anymore? I'd rather have a great supporting cast that can make the QB's job easier no matter who's back there.

I'd rather have a dominating O-line like we did in the past, a dominating run game and a defense that can stop opponents. Now I'm not saying I want us to be one dimensional all over again, but I don't want to TRADE one thing for another.

If we do that, then that's exactly what we're going to be. Except this time, it will be reversed. I don't want to go from being the one dimensional Panthers to the one dimensional Chiefs.

It seems like we are still having the same conversations we've been having for the past two years, and almost identical to those of last year, just a different cast. What about the rest of our positions?

I agree with you. Thats the reason I would trade down. Get a rookie OG and some DT. You still need a strong OL and DL to play the game. Your pretty boy QB wont do crap if he is flat on his back.

#7 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Yeah the league has changed, it's a QB league.

But looking at our team, what looks to be more pressing than QB. Maybe D-Line? Maybe WR? O-Line?

But if you look at value, I don't see any value in drafting a D-Lineman or WR with #1 overall. You can find gems in later rounds. With QBs, I think it's a whole lot harder to do that in late rounds.

#8 tomisraging

tomisraging

CAMolina

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

yeah... no team (unless very very lucky) is getting to the big dance without a good QB.

Everyone is talking about the QB thing because thats where we NEED t start. As soon as we find out if Luck declares we can move on to our other needs.

this is at least my train of thought

#9 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Yes.

#10 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,038 posts

Drafting a top tier quarterback isn't going to make all of that stuff disappear dude. You don't pass on a prospect like Luck even in the face of the 50/50 nature of QBs picked at the top of the draft.

#11 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,415 posts

excluding the Seahawks, what current playoff team doesn't have a franchise QB?

#12 bes628

bes628

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

While I agree in principal with the OP. You can't pass up on a guy like Luck. He can be very very special.

also, our OL has been good of recent when healthy. Our RB's are awesome.

QB and WR need to most work on Offense.

Overall between draft and free agency I would like to see us add.

QB ( Luck is preferable)
2 WR
2 DT's
2 CB's
1 S

#13 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,067 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

First of all the rules have changed even in the past 10 years so that a quarterback is very important. Secondly the scrub quarterback you mentioned was in the top half of quarterbacks in 2003 having thrown for 3300 yards, a 7.2 YPA, 19 TDS versus 16 Ints, and a passer rating of 80. Add he engineered a number of 4th quarter wins and he was a much bigger part of the equation than you give him credit for.

Until we find a franchise quarterback, it doesn't matter what we do on the O line and the defense. As we showed this year, if you can't score points, you can't win. And without an offense, any defense will wear down.

#14 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

I agree with you. Thats the reason I would trade down. Get a rookie OG and some DT. You still need a strong OL and DL to play the game. Your pretty boy QB wont do crap if he is flat on his back.

Whats wrong with having both? If you don't have QB, you don't win. simply put.

#15 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,442 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

pretty sure QB play (and OL injury) is the reason we weren't a solid all around team. Need a QB.

Jake wasn't a scrub 2003-2007. He was an experienced QB who came in during 2003. Up until he had surgery, he was in the top half of QBs in the NFL.

Edited by CRA, 05 January 2011 - 11:39 AM.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com