Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS the NFL losing money...Jerry Richardson's 200M shortfall pie chart

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Give individual players a base salary based on the TV deals. the salaries increase based on revenues. Concessions, Jersey sales, ticket sales, parking, etc. They go up, salaries go up. Winning is directly linked to money.

I also think fines should go to player retirement account or emergency medical fund.

Posted

If you think the NFL is losing money you are kidding yourselves. It is the most popular sport in the US and probably top two in the world. The big debate is over how the owners calculate the ROI. There is a billion dollars that the owners do not put into the equation. Not sure why, but they don't.

The big issue is the players want to see the books so they can see how much $ the owners are making. As I have said before, the tail doesn't wag the dog. I wouldn't show any of my employees how much my company made. If they don't like go play in Europe.

Just because it is the most popular, doesn't mean they are making money. A lot of NFL fans can watch and support their team for free. They don't have to buy shirts, tickets, or any other NFL paraphernalia.

Posted

The real question is:

Jerry's Pie Chart Notepad Vs. Al Davis' Overhead Projector

Steelcage Deathmatch. Who wins?

1 person likes this

Posted

No one is losing money in the NFL. Owners or Players for that matter. Its just who gets the most on the pie chart is what the fuss is about.

Posted

If the Panthers have $247 Million in Revenue, and only a $15 Million Profit the owners are getting raped. Especially given they are in the Entertainment business.

Thats a 6% Profit Margin, not far away from losing money. One big terrorist attack or Great Depression away from being screwed financially.

The Charlotte Observer operates on around a 40% Profit Margin by comparison.

Posted

If the Panthers have $247 Million in Revenue, and only a $15 Million Profit the owners are getting raped. Especially given they are in the Entertainment business.

Thats a 6% Profit Margin, not far away from losing money. One big terrorist attack or Great Depression away from being screwed financially.

The Charlotte Observer operates on around a 40% Profit Margin by comparison.

I think he referenced TV revenues. Ticket sales, concessions, merchandice, etc. were not included.

Posted

I'm looking at the Forbes numbers, if reading that right the Panthers are operating on a 6% profit margin last year.

Bottom line is the Players/union takes None of the business Risk, but want to dictate their wages and use force through the threat of a Strike to get what they want, something they fundamentally, morally do not have a Right to.

Posted

Now if they negotiate a rookie cap. Does the money saved go to veterans or does it go into the pockets of the owners?

Also I'm all for them fighting for retirement benefits. i do think they are compensated fairly though.

I thought I read that there was something like $200MM extra if a rookie scale is in place. What I couldn't understand is that the owners agreed to relenquish those monies, but were still debating whether it went to retired health benefits or current veteran salaries, which seems like it would be more of an internal player issue?

Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Posted

Risk is the key word. Players suck, owner takes risk and players get paid. Players do well, want to renegotiate. Hold out.

The rookie scale should free up money for the veterans. But you are right--risk is why this should not be viewed as equals slicing pie.

Posted

My guess is Vets start getting better salaries, more guaranteed $$$, etc. depending on Salary cap.

Will make for a better game also, the Jarmcus Russell's will have to play good before they can really live large.

Posted

6% would be the operating margin by the numbers listed in Forbes (for the panthers)

Posted

Being under Contract and then holding out like Revis just did, is something that needs to be stopped and I'm sure the Owners can't stand.

They need an agreement between owners that in that situation, the player not honoring his Contract will not be picked up by any other team and will not be paid at all.