Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What were you taught about American involvement in the ww2 european front?

42 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Some Japanese students still learn that they were liberating Asia from the rule of the Western colonial oppressors, and European children learn plenty of madness themselves.

Personally if a person isn't readily able to produce multiple primary documents (preferably in the footnotes), they're writing historical fiction. I'd say 90% of History textbooks throughout the word are garbage and the other 10% are bs jingoism fit only to burn for warmth.

Also any teacher or History professor who tries to bring any nationalism or politics into his/her lecture should be dutifully ignored (after you ask what will be on the test, of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Germany should have finished off Britain before attacking Russia, but doing so would have been tough. They would have had to ramp up their ship building industry in order to launch an invasion of England, and it would have taken them about two years to do so. But tripling U boat production might have forced the English to surrender. Churchill said that the only thing he really feared during the entire war was the Uboat threat.

Goehring promised Hitler the Luftwaffe could take Britian, another reason they didn't invade and ultimately contributed to Nazi defeat. Another bad Hitler decision switching the Luftwaffe from military to civilian targets. The Blitz took its toll, but did not defeat the Brits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Goehring promised Hitler the Luftwaffe could take Britian, another reason they didn't invade and ultimately contributed to Nazi defeat. Another bad Hitler decision switching the Luftwaffe from military to civilian targets. The Blitz took its toll, but did not defeat the Brits.

The battle of Dunkirk was a huge mistake as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

I'll come back to this arguement in a month or two. We're about to hit the 20th century in the history classes here in Spain.

It'll be interesting to see how the Spanish teach it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Some Japanese students still learn that they were liberating Asia from the rule of the Western colonial oppressors, and European children learn plenty of madness themselves.

Personally if a person isn't readily able to produce multiple primary documents (preferably in the footnotes), they're writing historical fiction. I'd say 90% of History textbooks throughout the word are garbage and the other 10% are bs jingoism fit only to burn for warmth.

Also any teacher or History professor who tries to bring any nationalism or politics into his/her lecture should be dutifully ignored (after you ask what will be on the test, of course).

I agree with you mostly. When I was in Bahrain, I use to visit some of the local bookstores. While most of the books were in Arabic, I did find a few English books by Arab authors. Some of the historical stuff was excellent, and brought out aspects that would not be discussed in the US, particularly when discussing the middle ages and the crusades. But some of the rest bordered on pure fiction. Most of the books on the Arab Israeli wars made me laugh outloud in a few spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

What is ironic is I remember ZERO of what I was taught in high school.

Mainly because of girls,sports and drugs.

Took a few years after high school to find myself then became a History Major.

So....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

I'll come back to this arguement in a month or two. We're about to hit the 20th century in the history classes here in Spain.

It'll be interesting to see how the Spanish teach it.

the spanish have an entirely different perspective on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

I vaguely remember learning about WWII in high school. My teacher was an ultra mega dike bitch, but her classes on WWII were fairly interesting. She really emphasized the fact that 1. the war was the best way to get out of the depression and 2. the german military was vastly superior to any other country and it was more of American resources that won the war rather than a superior military.

All I remember from college was talking Bolshevik Revolution over and over and over, and the insane amount of hotties in the class(I was a computer science student, I was deprived of classroom eye candy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Little known fact about Spanish involvement. The Spanish did participate in combat on the Eastern Front. A division of Spanish Volunteers fought under the German army against the Russians.

The Blue Divison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Hitler bit off more than he could chew. He was stretched thin and it made it tough to fight and occupy at the same time. No doubt the russians made serious sacrifices and took a pounding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

I like the story about the Portuguese force in WWI in their first assignment. They were in front of a British bicycle force.

The Germans shelled the poo out of the Portuguese. The British saw them running back towards them and tried to get information about what was going on. The Portuguese responding by beating them up and stealing their bicycles so they could retreat faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

All I know is that it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, and it's not over now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites