Photo
- - - - -

What were you taught about American involvement in the ww2 european front?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,831 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

I believe the Russians would have eventually prevailed over the Nazis.

Perhaps, had the Allies not been back in Europe in force, I imagine boundary lines would look quite a bit different than they do today however.

#32 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Lots of WWII veterans in my church. One of them is my dad's father in law. He got a silver star and served in Africa. Of all of the men who are WWII vets in my church, hardly anyone knows of any significant about of stories about what happened while they were there. They just won't talk about it. One old guy can't hear because his bomber was hit. Anyway, thats not got much to do with the thread. I will say that D-day, as relatively successful as it was or wasn't, was a disaster in a LOT of respects. Drownings, crashes, etc. I read a really good book on it. There were HUNDREDS killed in a "practice run" of D-day. One story I remember is that a high ranking guy insisted on being in the first wave. They were so worried about his safety that they armor plated his glider....which made it too heavy to fly so it crashed. One consensus that I have spotted through most of what I have read is that Hitler did a lot to help the Allies defeat Hitler.

#33 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

also, good topic Fiz. been a while since something was actually discussed in here.

#34 bubbadawg

bubbadawg

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

Attached File  family photos facebook 001 (2).jpg   204.75KB   0 downloadsMy father was a WW2 pilot. Never talked about it much but he did tell me that what amazed him was the devastation he saw in Germany while flying in the Berlin airlift after the war

#35 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,608 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

My wife is filipina and my father inlaw was a guerilla fighter in the Philippines during the war. He died before I met him, but many of those old folks that were there during the war still hate the Japanese with a fervor that most of us will never understand.

#36 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

hitler was forced to attack russia, they were about to attack Germany. Then all those early routs were due to Germany getting behind the supply lines of the Russians.

But then yeah they were bogged down in Russia, and the rest is history

Um, no.

#37 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Um, no.

i was recommended a book called the grand delusion that kinda supported this that theory. I never read it though.

I mean the Russians hadn't amassed all their troops on the western front for no reason.

#38 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:08 AM

Sure, but that is sorta what you do as you watch a dictator gobble up pretty much all of Western Europe.

But to say they had all their troops on the Western frontier is also misleading.

Stalin's peeps in the West were woefully unprepared, and the Great terror didn't help leadership either. The defensive positions were hastily abandoned in order to not be provocative, and even glaringly obvious signs of German intentions were let slide by Stalin in order to remain faithful to the pact Ribbentrop and Molotov signed.

Shoot, Joe was sending supplies to Germany the day before the invasion, as his Generals freaked out telling him this stuff was going to be the very stuff to kill Russians any day.

Hell, Mein Kampf spelled it all out for anybody, and Stalin had read all about Leibensraum, from all I've read he was just psychologically unprepared to deal with the menace until a few years later, when the Russian war machine could have dealt with it.

Stalin's psychology leading up to the invasion is quite fascinating, and his actions and quotes speak to the level of mixed feelings and disarray at the time.

I'm currently reading The Greatest Battle by Andrew Nagorski, a really nice summary of Barbarossa from the Russian perspective with the focus being primarily on the seige of Moscow. He gives great insight and sources from those close to Joe, as well as access to recently unclassified stuff.

Very well done, and I think it along with most of the non crackpot stuff I've read pretty much puts to bed the concept of an imminent Russian attack on German holdings.

#39 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

cool, thanks man.

do you happen to know the name of that norse sniper the russians were horrified by that basically traveled around on skis laying waste to the invading forces? the little midget who didn't use a scope because he thought it was unsportsmanlike?

rumor has it that when the russians thought he was in an area they'd order an artillery strike lol

th

#40 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

cool, thanks man.

do you happen to know the name of that norse sniper the russians were horrified by that basically traveled around on skis laying waste to the invading forces? the little midget who didn't use a scope because he thought it was unsportsmanlike?

rumor has it that when the russians thought he was in an area they'd order an artillery strike lol

th

jumping in here.. Simo Hayha

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Simo_Häyhä

#41 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

Wow, never heard of that guy.

Without a scope, that is pretty damn amazing.

#42 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

Simo Hayha, white death.

best ever

The Winter War is a fascinating read and another (pre) WWII backwater not often tread by those that read about D- Day only.

The Finns were some magnificent bastards.

Edit: Time Life has an excellent synopsis of the campaigns in Scandinavia, and they do a good job of explaining the reasons for interest in the area by the major combatants.

Edited by Epistaxis, 03 February 2009 - 11:29 AM.
I'm too slow a typist it seems, others beat me to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com