Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheRealDeal

Cam Newton TD

Was OJ Simpson's murder trial a trial of all black men in America   18 members have voted

1. 1. Was OJ Simpson's murder trial a trial of all black men in America

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

93 posts in this topic

I never said he can't make more than one read. I just said he plays in a one read offense. That's not his fault. His college coach doesn't care if he develops into an NFL QB. He knows that if he runs the ball it's just as good for him as if he passes it, all he cares about is the W. He's not in the business of developing NFL players, he's in the business of winning games.

The original discussion was reasons why Cam shouldn't go #1 and this is one of them. It's not that he can't make reads, it's that he has to prove he can to GMs and Owners.

BlackCat posted this video and said "Look, Cam makes 3 reads on this play." I simply am making the point that this is not a good example of him making reads because he doesn't make any in this video, he throws to his primary guy. I started out playing devil's advocate in the other thread and gave BlackCat things GMs/Owners would look for with concern when evaluating Cam. He got defensive and it all went downhill from there for him.

Bottom line: I agree, just because Cam isn't asked to make multiple reads doesn't mean he can't... but like The Golden Calf of Bristol, I think you have to be concerned about using a high pick on a guy who hasn't been asked to do much of this because you don't know where the ceiling is on how much of it he can do.

CAM NEWTON #1 OVERALL BABY!

Anyone who has seen him play more than one time, knows this. :yesnod:

Anyone who has seen him play more than one time, knows this. :yesnod:

Actually it's been the opposite for me. I watched three of his games this year and I thought he was a good player... obviously is at the college level. A couple weeks ago I started watching and reading more about him, especially when it was clear we'd get the #1, we'd need a QB, and we had no idea if Luck would declare... which brought me to this:

Bottom line: I agree, just because Cam isn't asked to make multiple reads doesn't mean he can't... but like The Golden Calf of Bristol, I think you have to be concerned about using a high pick on a guy who hasn't been asked to do much of this because you don't know where the ceiling is on how much of it he can do.

This is my concern at this point in time. It's not that I doubt he has some raw potential or skill at the NFL level, but I don't know how you spend a #1 pick on someone who we really can't get a good read on his mechanics and passing tools that he brings to the NFL... Perhaps tonight will be different, but I doubt it.

• Topics

• Of course, he's so massive he has his own gravitational pull. 
    • You miss the point. Taylor was here before. We picked him because of what he could do for our wide receivers not because he had some great knowledge no other person had on the staff. Shula and Rivera and Gettleman studied multiple college systems for months before signing Taylor or drafting McCaffrey or Curtis and would have drafted the same whether Taylor was here or not. They liked the way Taylor developed McCaffrey which showed his talent but Stanford's offense wasn't Taylors idea or unique to him. Shula has a connection to Taylor as early as when Shula was at Alabama.  The debate was whether Taylor was chosen to replace Shula because Shula didn't know what to do to run a college offense and if he screwed up Taylor would replace him. And that Taylor was the reason and most influential in getting McCaffrey. I said it wasn't even close to the truth and this plan predated Taylor and was more thorough and we'll thought out. Everything since then just confirms I was right once again like usual.  
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    GSO Goat