Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carl Spackler

What makes Blaine Gabbert different from Tony Pike?

72 posts in this topic

Cam Newton is pretty comparable to Josh Freeman too. He has shown in live action that he is a good leader (see Auburn v. Alabama). He plays in a spread offense like Gabbert, plus he put up much better numbers against much better teams in much more difficult situations.

Not trying to take away from Cam here, but not all spreads are created equal and do not ask the same thing of every quarterback... Cam's spread was much more run-focused. He still got it done in the air of course, but the type of spread offense run was different.

Blaine Gabbert eats butterflies and shits rainbows.

#1 PICK!!!!!!

jkjkjk I'm completely undecided at this point.

In all honesty, I don't think Gabbert is the #1 pick this year, I do however think that he could be something special given the time to develop, not thrown in immediately though.

Cam Newton is pretty comparable to Josh Freeman too. He has shown in live action that he is a good leader (see Auburn v. Alabama). He plays in a spread offense like Gabbert, plus he put up much better numbers against much better teams in much more difficult situations.

I agree with you brother both guys Cam and Blaine are comparable to Freeman! I compare Cam maybe a little more to Mcnabb mainly in the personality, mobility, and arm strength departments minus the choking in big games and I don't believe Donovan played in a spread at Syracuse. I like Blaine and Cam I just don't know if our front office will like Cam because of all the controversy of his past which to me isn't an issue he is alot more intelligent and stable than a guy like Mallet who if we pick anywhere in the top 12 is complete JOKE, but one thing is for sure Cameron would bring excitement back to our franchise! Werther its Newton or Gabbert or maybe even a FA I think the majority of our fan base can agree on one thing Clausen isn't the guy at QB going forward!

1 person likes this

Gabbert gets up from the above tackle and Tony doesn't

1 person likes this

The idea of having Gabbert or Pike as our QB makes me hope Clausen stays healthy all year

Casserly (former GM) likes Gabbert the most out of the top 4 QBs.

dunno why people are putting Gabbert & Pike in the same category.

Gabbert has the physical tools. We'll see if his combine goes well. If so, expect his stock to rise even further; he could be a top 5 or top 3 pick if not the #1.

people keep on saying that gabbert has all the physical tools. who cares? how many don't? he just isn't that good of a QB...at least not first round good. i seriously don't see what all the hype is about. get him in the pocket under a little pressure and the dude gets happy feet and tries passing the ball only his happy feet have messed up his throwing and puts the throws in danger of getting picked off (in the pros easily). in the pros he'd be way too panic prone which would make him mistake prone.

that could be coached out...but it would take some time. he's one oif these guys that you absolutely would not want starting his rookie year or else you are looking at another jimmy clausen experience.

Your assessment is a bit bias; he isn't a statue like Mallett, he moves around and out of the pocket to make plays. At times you're right, he doesn't re-set his feet which costs him accuracy. He feels pressure decently well, but yes, at times he makes bad mistakes. However, he does have the physical tools including footwork and that's an area many, many of this year's QBs are lacking.

The team around him was not all that great, and his numbers this year reflected that. The type of spread he came from at least emphasized his arm and multiple reads, albeit on one side of the field.

Ultimately I do not think there is a single QB in this draft that is "pro ready" and comes in and blows peoples socks off, but just like Bradford the year before showed, the spread is not doom for a quarterback if they have the physical tools.

Not saying Gabbert is worth the #1 right now, but he is currently the top quarterback of the class. Cam Newton could potentially change that if he can really show that he can make reads and win a game with his arm on Monday.

it's not biased, contrary to my cam hype. taking newton out of the picture i seriously don't see what all the fuss is about him. i don't understand how people can say with a straight face and without reading and regurgitating hype mentioned by mcshay that he is the best QB in the draft or even first round quality. from the tape i've seen i haven't seen much at all that sets him apart from most spread or college QBs.

in my criticisms of him i keep asking what people see in him and they all keep saying the same things..."he has all the physical tools" and then they start making excuses for how ugly things have looked with him.

i ask because i want to know. what is it that makes him a first rounder? there are quite a few QB who had all the physical tools who did nothing but suck when they got in the league.

I don't get your point - first rounders are not guarantees. So yes, there are plenty of busts. Many of those busts, though, have off the field issues or questions on intangibles. Gabbert does not.

His "physical tools" include ability to avoid pressure, accuracy, release, arm strength, and leadership ability. He is coachable and has shown the ability to make reads and identify open areas of the field and lead his receiver to them. He is by no means without flaw, though. He tries to make too much out of bad situations at times. He has had a decent but not great college career personal wise, throwing for 6779 yards in 2 years with 40 TD passes and another 8 on the ground with a 62% completion percentage and throwing a ton of balls per game.

As to why he is a first round pick? Again, it's his physical tools and his intangibles. I have no idea if he'll turn out well, but there's a reason he is bounding up the draft boards and no, it's not his numbers this season.

• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    black-n-blue

1. 1
    2. 2
      SCP
      SCP
    3. 3
    4. 4