204 replies to this topic

#136 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

Hm.

Wonder what kind of 4-3 he'll actually run, if he does indeed run a 4-3?

Will it be a very aggressive, blitz happy Jim Johnson style? Or would it be a Tampa-2 style that we've seen for the past couple of seasons?

He was the Bears D coordinator in 05/06 I think they were mainly tampa 2.

It's kind of hard to say exactly what our base D is at least in my eyes because I don't re-watch the games as much when we suck so bad. Usually looked like Cover 2.

Cover 2 or Tampa 2 we need some freaking tackles. The interior line needs a bomb thrown threw it.

#137 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:41 AM

i heard the Denver GM named Ron as their top candidate, too, btw. but since they're in the same division, it would be reasonable to assume SD would refuse an interview request.

#138 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

It will be a 4-3 attacking style Defense like Jim Johnson that is were Rivera got his start as a LB coach under Jim Johnson with the eagles!

nahhhhhh, at least from what his 4-3's were like I think while he blitzed plenty it wasn't at a Jim Johnson level he likes the D-line for that just like Fox/Meeks.

#139 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:45 AM

If Rivera asks them they will...

It's not the same as just a regular coaching search. The Panthers have vacancies at EVERY position so you better believe that at least one of these guys will leave their former team and work for the Panthers because there is hardly enough unemployed coaches to even form a whole staff.

Dude. You posted a staff that had people who would be making lateral moves or demotions. THIS IS NO LONGER ALLOWED IN THE NFL, no matter how bad Rivera might want them to come here. Your staff is 100% unrealistic.

#140 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:59 AM

fox had been running the defense for sometime. he took it over from meeks. not sure why we want to bother with him.

let's move on from the past regime, please.

#141 scarface

scarface

• HUDDLER
  • 3,032 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

Dude. You posted a staff that had people who would be making lateral moves or demotions. THIS IS NO LONGER ALLOWED IN THE NFL, no matter how bad Rivera might want them to come here. Your staff is 100% unrealistic.

How dare you spoil that poor idiots dreams with your logic !!

Edited by scarface, 09 January 2011 - 02:07 AM.

#142 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:24 AM

Scarface, no matter how hard I try, I can't look high enough to read what you write...

#143 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

Transformed the Chargers into a respectable defense, pretty much created the current Bears defense that was once (and still is) a Super Bowl tier one at that.

I would welcome him with all arms. Lets hope that he is innovative, and willing to always find ways to adapt his game.

Edit: Plus he's Puerto Rican.. C'MON!!

Edited by rico6, 09 January 2011 - 03:15 AM.

#144 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:19 AM

Even if Riveria is hired Hurney will decide who is the assistant coaches. He will takes Riveria or whoever is the headcoach inout but I expect Hurney will hire who he thinks is best for the job. Not going to be like Fox and him brining his buddies.

Edited by Squirrel, 09 January 2011 - 03:22 AM.

#145 Vagrant

Vagrant

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

Yes to Rivera. I think he would breathe new life into this organization with his defensive approach. We have enough talent on that side of the ball to be consistently in the Top 5. If we made this hire, we would have to focus VERY hard on making sure our QB coach and Offensive Coordinator were top shelf guys too. I don't think we give Rivera the option of bringing his own guys with him since he has never held a head coaching role before.

JR talked about the importance of the offensive coaches being as important as the hiring of the head coach in some ways, and he's going to have his hands in the process the whole way.

#146 Herb

Herb

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

Rivera would be an absolute breath of fresh air and a brilliant coach for our organization. This is what we need. I can't get too excited yet because everything has to play out first, but Rivera is the man I want at this point. He's ready to be a head coach and he will excel. Very excited.

#147 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:32 AM

Oh lord no :eek:

I'd take Ramsdell or Joiner though.

that scared of the Browns thing? Chud was the one I wished would've gotten the OC job when Cam left, but he'd already taken the job in Cleveland. Also before he joined Butch Davis's staff in CLE, he was Coker's OC at the U, which weighted favorably for me.

What was Rivera like in Bolt Land?

A good portion of the fanbase would love it if he was the HC over Norv. It was good fortune that he got on the staff in the first place. Manusky had just taken the SF DC job, so we had that opening when Lovie let him go. Now that he's got his stamp on the D, it's even exceeded my expectations. Most everyone saw us taking a step back without Cro, Merriman, and Jamal, but we got to #1. They're about as aggressive as they were in the Wade era.

#148 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:38 AM

Even if Riveria is hired Hurney will decide who is the assistant coaches. He will takes Riveria or whoever is the headcoach inout but I expect Hurney will hire who he thinks is best for the job. Not going to be like Fox and him brining his buddies.

I think Hurney would approve of Johnson and Wilks, they were pretty instrumental in the development of guys like Garay and Thomas on the DL, as well as Cason in the D-backfield. They were upgrades over Nunnelly and Stewart.

#149 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

Ron's wife coaches a basketball team in D.C.

NC is a lot closer to D.C. than San Diego. if you don't hire him Jerry you are tearing a family apart. i hope you can live with yourself.

#150 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

Ron Rivera...

ChrisHarrisNFL Chris Harris
He would b a great hire IMO RT @SI_PeterKing: I'm hearing SD defensive coordinator Ron Rivera's the early leader in Carolina.

...Chris Harris approved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.