Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Player Available

49 posts in this topic

Posted

Not a big Clausen fan at all but with Smitty gaining age faster than yards, I say draft Green and no Newton is not the answer (we are already have a project player). A name that no one is saying in the draft is a suspended DT named Marvin Austin. The dude is a beast and would be an excellent steal in the draft.

1 person likes this

Posted

Always go with the best player on the board when in doubt. Too many times teams reach for a player because of need and ultimately fail. This happens all the time in any sports draft, but I'm going to use the NBA as an example.

The Blazers had the #1 pick in the draft and had a choice between Durant and Oden. Oden was the need pick (but was highly regarded), Durant was the best rated player. Instead of taking the value, they went for the need. I guarantee this, if they could do that over again, they would pick Durant 10/10 times. The teams that are the best at "drafting" generally follow the rule of picking the best player on your board, simply because it has a better chance of producing successful players. Another example is the 2003 NBA draft, the Detroit Pistons had a choice between Carmelo and Darko. They went need over talent. Needless to say, they whiffed big time on that one as well.

Generally speaking, teams who have needs tend to reach for players that may not be as good as some that are available, and pay for it in the long run. The point is this: regardless of your needs, the point of any draft is to get the best players for your team, so if the chance comes to grab an elite talent, even if it is in a position of strength, you take it and address your needs later through other avenues.

Posted

You know whats fun, we get to talk about this for the next 4 months!!! YAY!!!!

:banghead:

Posted

BPA is just that, it has NOTHING to do with your needs or current roster.

Green us the BPA, hands down.

Posted

I know I have said Orton about 20 times now in many different threads... I've said it so many times I feel it's getting annoying to other people on the board.. but I seriously think we should grab Orton, who has been solid both in Denver and Chicago..

my bad, I agree with you then...

no worries, I didn't word it very well

Posted

de/dt marcell dareus

i'm gonna keep saying it until i'm blue in the face.

Posted

When was he ever leaving? I haven't heard anything to suggest he was leaving...

How do we know if Smith is still leaving?

Posted

The ONLY way I see us going for Bowers is if CJ isn't resigned, but I also feel pretty confident he will be. CJ and Hardy are a more than competent DE duo. Besides, depending on the next coaching staff, we could be looking at a 3-4 or hybrid system in the near future.

Another example is the 2003 NBA draft, the Denver Nuggets had a choice between Carmelo and Darko. They went need over talent. Needless to say, they whiffed big time on that one as well.

I believe you mean the Pistons? I think the Nuggets are very happy with their pick...the Pistons probably aren't (had to look that one up, I was thinking it was the Magic that drafted Darko).

Posted

So if we get Green, who is going to throw to him? I know it's not Clausen.

Whoever we draft in the 1st next year - be it by trading up for Luck or taking option B in USC's Matt Barkley, or someone else if there is another option. If Clausen plays like sh** again this year we'll be in prime position in next year's draft to take a top QB prospect (maybe even Luck at #1 again).

Even if we're not, I really believe Jerry will instruct Hurney to do whatever it takes to secure our franchise QB. We will end up with a top QB prospect next year if nothing else and having a WR the caliber of A.J. Green is going to be a HUGE plus when that happens.

Posted

I believe you mean the Pistons? I think the Nuggets are very happy with their pick...the Pistons probably aren't (had to look that one up, I was thinking it was the Magic that drafted Darko).

Yes sir you are right. It was Detroit, not Denver that took him. I missed that somehow lol. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted

Stephen Paea is a guy I'd love for us to trade up to get...just not using next year's 1st, so I don't see it being possible. But if somehow it did work out, taking Green 1st and then maybe this year's third, next year's second and third to get into the 2nd to take Paea, I'd be happy.

Posted

I like Paea but I don't want Hurney any where near our future picks for a long time. At least until Armanti proves me all wrong.