48 replies to this topic

#31 Mr ocho nueve

Mr ocho nueve

Cam can't have my Number

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

So if we get Green, who is going to throw to him? I know it's not Clausen.

How about Tyrod :D

#32 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,497 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

I know I have said Orton about 20 times now in many different threads... I've said it so many times I feel it's getting annoying to other people on the board.. but I seriously think we should grab Orton, who has been solid both in Denver and Chicago..

I meant that I doubt that they don't re-sign him, meaning i think they will re-sign him.

my bad, I agree with you then...

#33 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

I just wish Fairley was more convincing as a #1 overall. I'd be fine with taking a solid DT, I just don't know if he's the right guy. Having said that, you do have to get value out of a spot like that, so Bowers or Green have to be the pick. I'd be okay with Bowers. Seems like he'll be a monster at the next level.

#34 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

You know whats fun, we get to talk about this for the next 4 months!!! YAY!!!!

#35 PanthersGuy28

PanthersGuy28

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

I'm good with Green or Newton. Wouldn't want to take defense at this point.

That's pretty much me. If Newton lights it up tomorrow I might would rather have him but I wouldn't be too upset with either one. I just don't get upgrading the D since they were good last year.

#36 PanthersGuy28

PanthersGuy28

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

I wouldn't write off Clausen yet. That offense was pathetic last year, he had no good sets to work with. Let's see what Ramsdell can do with him.

#37 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

Not a big Clausen fan at all but with Smitty gaining age faster than yards, I say draft Green and no Newton is not the answer (we are already have a project player). A name that no one is saying in the draft is a suspended DT named Marvin Austin. The dude is a beast and would be an excellent steal in the draft.

#38 roaddog96

roaddog96

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Always go with the best player on the board when in doubt. Too many times teams reach for a player because of need and ultimately fail. This happens all the time in any sports draft, but I'm going to use the NBA as an example.

The Blazers had the #1 pick in the draft and had a choice between Durant and Oden. Oden was the need pick (but was highly regarded), Durant was the best rated player. Instead of taking the value, they went for the need. I guarantee this, if they could do that over again, they would pick Durant 10/10 times. The teams that are the best at "drafting" generally follow the rule of picking the best player on your board, simply because it has a better chance of producing successful players. Another example is the 2003 NBA draft, the Detroit Pistons had a choice between Carmelo and Darko. They went need over talent. Needless to say, they whiffed big time on that one as well.

Generally speaking, teams who have needs tend to reach for players that may not be as good as some that are available, and pay for it in the long run. The point is this: regardless of your needs, the point of any draft is to get the best players for your team, so if the chance comes to grab an elite talent, even if it is in a position of strength, you take it and address your needs later through other avenues.

Edited by roaddog96, 10 January 2011 - 03:03 AM.
put the wrong team down

#39 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

You know whats fun, we get to talk about this for the next 4 months!!! YAY!!!!

:banghead:

#40 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

BPA is just that, it has NOTHING to do with your needs or current roster.

Green us the BPA, hands down.

#41 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

I know I have said Orton about 20 times now in many different threads... I've said it so many times I feel it's getting annoying to other people on the board.. but I seriously think we should grab Orton, who has been solid both in Denver and Chicago..

my bad, I agree with you then...

no worries, I didn't word it very well

#42 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:13 AM

de/dt marcell dareus

i'm gonna keep saying it until i'm blue in the face.

#43 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

When was he ever leaving? I haven't heard anything to suggest he was leaving...

How do we know if Smith is still leaving?

#44 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:25 AM

The ONLY way I see us going for Bowers is if CJ isn't resigned, but I also feel pretty confident he will be. CJ and Hardy are a more than competent DE duo. Besides, depending on the next coaching staff, we could be looking at a 3-4 or hybrid system in the near future.

Another example is the 2003 NBA draft, the Denver Nuggets had a choice between Carmelo and Darko. They went need over talent. Needless to say, they whiffed big time on that one as well.

I believe you mean the Pistons? I think the Nuggets are very happy with their pick...the Pistons probably aren't (had to look that one up, I was thinking it was the Magic that drafted Darko).

#45 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

Whoever we draft in the 1st next year - be it by trading up for Luck or taking option B in USC's Matt Barkley, or someone else if there is another option. If Clausen plays like sh** again this year we'll be in prime position in next year's draft to take a top QB prospect (maybe even Luck at #1 again).

Even if we're not, I really believe Jerry will instruct Hurney to do whatever it takes to secure our franchise QB. We will end up with a top QB prospect next year if nothing else and having a WR the caliber of A.J. Green is going to be a HUGE plus when that happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com