#16 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

In my opinion.

If you give a good D coord. one year of tape, they will make pretty good QB's look very average. You need to be really good to continue to do so.

#17 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

I think Ryan is the 'real deal' as far as potential to be truly great. Will he have a 'sophomore slump'? Maybe, but so what? We won't really know about him until a few years from now anyways, after he has harnessed the value of experience and other factors (assuming he stays healthy, that is). But I think he showed a lot, and while they, like us, may have benefited from a somewhat weak schedule, the Falcons turnaround was still quite impressive. He made some glaring rookie mistakes in their playoff loss, but at least they can rightly say that, unlike us, they were competitive, and played the Cards tough on the Cards home field.

The pundits and alleged experts for the league are quite high on him, and I haven't seen anything to make them appear to be wrong. I tell you what, I'd gladly take him as is for fitting into a Panthers uniform. I'll take him in a heartbeat!

#18 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

do to him what the cardinals did.

their defense gave the blueprint.

#19 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

I hate the Falcons but he had a real good season for a rookie, can't deny that.

With that said though now that teams have film on him I expect it won't be nearly as easy.

#20 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

I think there will be a TON of pressure on the whole falcons franchise to best their performance this season

matt ryan will be a huge part of that, most fans will expect him to be perfect since his rookie season was so successful

I think he will be a huge threat next season if the entire falcons team stays on their game, but I don't think he is ready to carry the team by himsself

#21 TDW

TDW

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Ryan admitted hitting a 'rookie wall'. I think there were parts of his game that started to get sloppy toward seasons end. At the same time though, he still maintained a grasp of the game and the action on the field like he was a veteran.

Whereas Vick's game revolved around the abundance of his physical talents, Ryan's talents seem to be in abundance around the more cerebral and instinctual aspects of playing the position. As such, I don't know how much 'film study' will be as effective in neutralizing him. Plus, since he's a dedicated student of the game, he already does plenty of self study.

I don't know if he makes a quantum leap in his game like Manning did in his 2nd season. But I'd be stunned if he regressed.

#22 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,846 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

given the history of running backs with a similar number of carries, he's going to lose turner.

every team will have a years worth of tape on him and the system.

he's playing the nfc and afc east instead of the afc and nfc west.

he already faded towards the end of the year. whether that was because of defenses picking up on him or the rookie wall is impossible to tell.

he doesn't have a lot of room to improve.

we'll see.

#23 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:52 AM

Yeah, this should be in the Southern Comfort forum.

Anyway, I thought beforehand that he would surprise many people. He did. I do believe that he had a great year for a rookie. He is not a great QB yet, and honestly there are only about 5-6 QBs that I would consider great (if that many). But again, with development and progress, Ryan has shown that he is going to be much more problematic for the rest of the NFC South than Michael Vick ever was.

On a similar note, I think Flacco is going to have a greater impact on his team and the NFL though. Flacco seems to have that "it" and throws a beautiful deep ball.

#24 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

I hear you guys about the forum that it's in. I was just trying to get some views since it is the dreaded offseason.

I wish him well, but I am tired of the announcers sucking him off.

I am thinking of another rook that had a "break out" first year, and won the ROY award......Vince Young

#25 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,846 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

a much better comparison is rick mier

#26 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

I hear you guys about the forum that it's in. I was just trying to get some views since it is the dreaded offseason.

I wish him well, but I am tired of the announcers sucking him off.

I am thinking of another rook that had a "break out" first year, and won the ROY award......Vince Young

I hear ya. Ryan seems to have more of a natural feel for the game, is more laid back and seems more analytical about his approach to the game. Young folded up under the pressure like a house of cards, but I still don't think that we've seen the last of him. But Ryan's football pedigree will probably make him progress as opposed to retrogress.

#27 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

Vince Young sucked as a rookie as far as passing skills (still does the last time I saw him), Ryan didn't. Will he fail? Who knows? He certainly seems to have the guys around him and coaching staff to help him succeed in the future. There's something about him I just don't like though, he seems phony or something. I could definitely be way, way wrong about that, but it's likely that time will tell.

#28 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,006 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, this should be in the Southern Comfort forum.

Anyway, I thought beforehand that he would surprise many people. He did. I do believe that he had a great year for a rookie. He is not a great QB yet, and honestly there are only about 5-6 QBs that I would consider great (if that many). But again, with development and progress, Ryan has shown that he is going to be much more problematic for the rest of the NFC South than Michael Vick ever was.

On a similar note, I think Flacco is going to have a greater impact on his team and the NFL though. Flacco seems to have that "it" and throws a beautiful deep ball.

I am just not sold on Flacco. His typical line was 9 for 23 with 140 yds. The Ravens won because of their phenomenal defense. If Flacco had gone to a mediocre team without the Ravens Defense, he would not even be in the conversation.

#29 KFL

KFL

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

I'm predicting he gets pissed on at Super Bowl XLIV

#30 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

Vince Young sucked as a rookie as far as passing skills (still does the last time I saw him), Ryan didn't. Will he fail? Who knows? He certainly seems to have the guys around him and coaching staff to help him succeed in the future. There's something about him I just don't like though, he seems phony or something. I could definitely be way, way wrong about that, but it's likely that time will tell.

I wasn't really comparing the QB styles, moreso the absolute love the media gave both Young and Ryan. I thought that both were way overdone, but hey thats the media.

I like the position that he is in, but I am with you, there is something a little strange with him.

Also, the contract he got, making him on of the 4 highest paid QB's in the league really gets under my skin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.