Photo
- - - - -

Matt Ryan and his sophmore season?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#25 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

a much better comparison is rick mier

#26 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

I hear you guys about the forum that it's in. I was just trying to get some views since it is the dreaded offseason.

I wish him well, but I am tired of the announcers sucking him off.

I am thinking of another rook that had a "break out" first year, and won the ROY award......Vince Young

I hear ya. Ryan seems to have more of a natural feel for the game, is more laid back and seems more analytical about his approach to the game. Young folded up under the pressure like a house of cards, but I still don't think that we've seen the last of him. But Ryan's football pedigree will probably make him progress as opposed to retrogress.

#27 Fireball77

Fireball77

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

I am thinking of another rook that had a "break out" first year, and won the ROY award......Vince Young

Vince Young sucked as a rookie as far as passing skills (still does the last time I saw him), Ryan didn't. Will he fail? Who knows? He certainly seems to have the guys around him and coaching staff to help him succeed in the future. There's something about him I just don't like though, he seems phony or something. I could definitely be way, way wrong about that, but it's likely that time will tell.

#28 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, this should be in the Southern Comfort forum.

Anyway, I thought beforehand that he would surprise many people. He did. I do believe that he had a great year for a rookie. He is not a great QB yet, and honestly there are only about 5-6 QBs that I would consider great (if that many). But again, with development and progress, Ryan has shown that he is going to be much more problematic for the rest of the NFC South than Michael Vick ever was.

On a similar note, I think Flacco is going to have a greater impact on his team and the NFL though. Flacco seems to have that "it" and throws a beautiful deep ball.

I am just not sold on Flacco. His typical line was 9 for 23 with 140 yds. The Ravens won because of their phenomenal defense. If Flacco had gone to a mediocre team without the Ravens Defense, he would not even be in the conversation.

#29 KFL

KFL

• Pip
ROOKIE

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

I'm predicting he gets pissed on at Super Bowl XLIV

#30 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

Vince Young sucked as a rookie as far as passing skills (still does the last time I saw him), Ryan didn't. Will he fail? Who knows? He certainly seems to have the guys around him and coaching staff to help him succeed in the future. There's something about him I just don't like though, he seems phony or something. I could definitely be way, way wrong about that, but it's likely that time will tell.

I wasn't really comparing the QB styles, moreso the absolute love the media gave both Young and Ryan. I thought that both were way overdone, but hey thats the media.

I like the position that he is in, but I am with you, there is something a little strange with him.

Also, the contract he got, making him on of the 4 highest paid QB's in the league really gets under my skin.

#31 Fireball77

Fireball77

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

OK, I see your point if that's what you were saying re: VY/Ryan. I still think it was MORE overdone with VY based on actual performance.
Dude, I agree. I HATE that there's no rookie salary scale based on what draft position the guy was chosen. No one should get that type of money before they are proven...I think it is bad for the NFL.

#32 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

OK, I see your point if that's what you were saying re: VY/Ryan. I still think it was MORE overdone with VY based on actual performance.
Dude, I agree. I HATE that there's no rookie salary scale based on what draft position the guy was chosen. No one should get that type of money before they are proven...I think it is bad for the NFL.

Yes, not comparing them in any way on the field, just that I think the media jumped on his jock too quick, just like VY.

Terrible for the players, the fans, and the NFL. He is the forth highest paid player in the league......thats stupid. There is a better way.

Maybe take the 16th highest paid player at that position, and you can make no more than them......or something like that.

#33 Fireball77

Fireball77

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

I think they need to figure out a formula kind of like the FT formula and use that. But I won't get too into that topic on this thread because I am hijacking it. :)

#34 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

I think they need to figure out a formula kind of like the FT formula and use that. But I won't get too into that topic on this thread because I am hijacking it. :)

Start a rookie cap thread.....it's the offseason.

#35 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Matt Ryan will continue to be a very good quarterback. I hate the Falcons but they are set at QB for years to come.

#36 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

I am just not sold on Flacco. His typical line was 9 for 23 with 140 yds. The Ravens won because of their phenomenal defense. If Flacco had gone to a mediocre team without the Ravens Defense, he would not even be in the conversation.

by the end of the year flacco and ryan's per game stats were very comparable.

This is pretty much Ryan's peak. Everything that rookie qbs struggle with he didn't, so what does he have to improve on? Flacco on the other hand has far better physical tools, more room to improve, and did that all without the good offensive talent around him.