Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To those who want AJ Green #1 overall

55 posts in this topic

Posted

wondering who the OP thinks we should draft....

Posted

^ a Mexican.

Posted

I think we could take Fairley #1 without it being much of a reach and DT is definitely a need...for those who think we have to reach to draft need.

I like Green though - he's very very good from what I've seen (I'm pretty much an anti-GA fan so I admittedly don't watch much but once we started closing in on the #1 pick I started paying attention). I don't know if I would personally take him #1 because WR is not an area of need for us ATM, at least not nearly so much as DT.

That said, however, I wouldn't be suicidal if he ended up playing for us either. Lafell and Gettis showed flashes last year but we don't really have a stud receiver either.

Posted

I don't understand why it's nuts just because it's only been done once in the past 25 years. We've only had one black president in history, does that make it nuts? In most drafts, especially lately, there's been a clear cut #1. A QB, a LT, or at least multiple prospects that would be worth #1 overall. Not this year.

There's some people who want to take Fairley #1. There hasn't been a DT taken #1 since Keyshawn's draft. A couple years before him, there was Dan Wilkinson, DT, Ohio State. WHO?! Before him there was only Russell Maryland and Steve Emtman. Emtman was a bust, Maryland was good, but that was a weak draft. The first QB taken was Todd Marinovich in the late 1st. No HoF'ers in the whole draft and only 8 people taken in the first that made a Pro Bowl ever, and I've only ever heard of 3 or 4 of them.

With the new CBA, I think the days of "OMG YOU DON'T DRAFT A _____ #1 OVERALL!!" are mostly done. Money was a huge part of that mindset. I think we'll begin to see more BPAs taken.

We don't need a DE, and I don't think we'll take a QB #1, I don't really see any of them being worth it. It really comes down to Green or Fairley, if we can't trade down. If I'm betting with the success of the franchise, I'm betting on Green.

Posted

I keep changing my mind on this. I would agree with the op if this year wasnt such a crappy year for draft prospects. I would like trade down for someone in the top 10. I really think someone like Clevand/Titans would trade up to get AJ Green and give us their second.

Posted

Green is the only player worth taking the #1 for and wont make it out of the top 5. If we're staying with the #1 pick, it will be Green. And Smith most likely will be traded for picks afterwards.

1 person likes this

Posted

Green is the only player worth taking the #1 for and wont make it out of the top 5. If we're staying with the #1 pick, it will be Green. And Smith most likely will be traded for picks afterwards.

As mich as I love smith. If I was GM thats what I would do. Maybe try to get a 2nd and third rounder, or maybe a stretch get a later first round pick.

Posted

Someone had to say it. Fairley needs to be our Pick!

Posted

Let's say we draft Green and somehow pick up Orton.. how is any of the OP still relevant to not drafting Green?

besides the absurdity to assuming because WRs haven't went 1st means we are unable to break that trend?

Posted

The only reason people and analysts are saying Fairley is not worth the #1 draft prick is because he is following the likes of Suh and McCoy and because of his tendency to get to caught up in the moment and take stupid penalties that do incorporate to the accusations of his "dirty play."

Posted

You make sense most of the time, and this is no exception. Looking forward, at 2011 and beyond, we need and will need a playmaking WR. Gettis and Lafell are good, but neither can handle the top CB and doubles. All I had to hear was similar to Calvin J and Larry F. Worth #1 to me.

And I also agree with the fact made earlier that the scale will make the position the player plays irrelevent. Pass on Green and you will hate watching Sports Center for the next decade.

Posted

Take Fairley #1, just makes sense.