Photo
- - - - -

Ron Rivera doesn't take dictation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

Something else I picked up on listening to the presser: Rivera seems to be a believer in "cross scouting" between units.

Specifically, the defense can point out where the offense is weak, as well as pointing out issues that opposing defenses might have.

Likewise, the offense can help the defense shore up so they're more stout against opposing offensive units.

That might seem somewhat basic, but it's really not. And if you do it right, it's pretty useful.

#32 bbell21

bbell21

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

The thing I loved about the presser was he said he would work with Hurney and Morrision and the scouts and pro personnel people to help find players that will best fit their philosophy!

#33 RealisticFan

RealisticFan

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Halftime adjustments???

That is what I was thinking too. Well...I am hoping for. I know that there is a game plan coming in, but there has to be a contingency plan in case things are not going the Panthers way.

#34 davos

davos

€∞€∞€∞€

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:33 AM

I am a very relieved dude

#35 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

One thing you might see in the scouting is more of an emphasis on really smart players.

New England puts a premium on players with "football intelligence". It's a necessity for them to be able to maintain their versatility.

I won't be surprised if that becomes a point of emphasis for us too.

I alluded to this last night in one of the Fairley threads. Rivera might not want to pick up a player that consistently makes boneheaded decisions on the field. Being aggressive is one thing. Being stupid is another.

Being stupid is developing a rep as a dirty player, and then showcasing it on national television for 27 million homes to see. Not too bright.

#36 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

I expect he'd interview Fairley to see whether it was "boneheadedness" or something else.