Photo
- - - - -

Bleacher report on John Fox and his language.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

If he wins one superbowl for us I will love him.

#17 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

If Fox can win ONE superbowl with Carolina, I'll campaign for his bust in canton.

...that doesn't mean if he strings together shitty season after shitty season after that superbowl win I won't be pissed off and think a change would need to be made.

#18 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

Tom Coughlin was hated in his years of "futility" in Jax and NY then he was loved and revered after his team got hot at the right time. Steeler fans were tiring of Cowher then he entered the Pantheon of Pittsburgh legends by winning one ring.

I agree to a certain extent that winning the SB alone can be enough to quell people in general, but it's also worth noting that Coughlin, by the admissions of several NYG players, had actually worked to change how he interacted with his players which in turn led them to respect him more. I always thought Cowher was a little bit overrated as a HC and still do. The SB did not change my mind. I believe that the quality of his OC and DC had more to do coaching wise with why they were in the SB than he did.

As for Fox, I continue to feel that I couldn't care less that he speaks in cliches after games or in any other widely read/heard media forum. Yes I would love to see him do things like break down plays and such on that Huddle show, but que sera sera. I would much rather he said too little to the media than too much. People who love HCs who throw their players under the bus and scream and yell in the media maybe aren't considering the fact that this action leads to ZERO respect among the men in the lockerroom, and if the HC doesn't have that he is already fighting a losing battle.

#19 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

I agree to a certain extent that winning the SB alone can be enough to quell people in general, but it's also worth noting that Coughlin, by the admissions of several NYG players, had actually worked to change how he interacted with his players which in turn led them to respect him more. I always thought Cowher was a little bit overrated as a HC and still do. The SB did not change my mind. I believe that the quality of his OC and DC had more to do coaching wise with why they were in the SB than he did.

As for Fox, I continue to feel that I couldn't care less that he speaks in cliches after games or in any other widely read/heard media forum. Yes I would love to see him do things like break down plays and such on that Huddle show, but que sera sera. I would much rather he said too little to the media than too much. People who love HCs who throw their players under the bus and scream and yell in the media maybe aren't considering the fact that this action leads to ZERO respect among the men in the lockerroom, and if the HC doesn't have that he is already fighting a losing battle.

Now I want to pound Fireball... lol

#20 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

...and I won't say a WORD to the media about it, I promise... ;)

#21 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

Expanding on that idea, Coughlin also knew when coordinators weren't working out. He fired Tim Lewis. Yes, his team made the playoffs that year, yes, they even made it the year before, but the fact that Lewis's defense wasn't working out ultimately held the team back and Coughlin knew an improvement needed to be made.

This is all moot because Trgovac left on his own terms, but Fox was ready to keep a coordinator whose defense was arguably one of the worst the last 8 games of the season, probably just because they made the playoffs.

#22 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Expanding on that idea, Coughlin also knew when coordinators weren't working out. He fired Tim Lewis. Yes, his team made the playoffs that year, yes, they even made it the year before, but the fact that Lewis's defense wasn't working out ultimately held the team back and Coughlin knew an improvement needed to be made.

This is all moot because Trgovac left on his own terms, but Fox was ready to keep a coordinator whose defense was arguably one of the worst the last 8 games of the season, probably just because they made the playoffs.

And how do you know that? Oh, that's right, because he told you...

:huh:

#23 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

And how do you know that? Oh, that's right, because he told you...
:huh:

MOBILE, Ala. -- Mike Trgovac is expected to remain the Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator.

Speculation has swirled about Trgovac's status since the Panthers' 33-13 loss to Arizona in the playoffs and Carolina's late-season struggles on defense.

However, the Observer has learned that the team still wants Trgovac and he wants to stay. He has been offered a new contract and is expected to sign it soon. He is with the rest of the Panthers staff scouting for the team at the Senior Bowl this week.

http://blogs.charlot...-to-return.html

....sorry, try again.

#24 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

He fired Tim Lewis. Yes, his team made the playoffs that year, yes, they even made it the year before

You are 100% correct factually, but it's worth noting that their record was worse in 2006 at 8-8 than it was in 2005 at 11-5 and they only made the playoffs in 2006 because they beat the 5-10 Redskins which knocked Carolina OUT of the playoffs.
He also removed playcalling duties from his OC Hufnagel (SP) in 2006 then canned him as well I believe and promoted Gilbride to OC for 2007. Part of beign a good HC to me, the part that is seldom talked about, is the ability to recognize and develop/hire good assistants.

#25 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

....sorry, try again.

Again, my statement stands. A report from the Disturber is not gospel, you really shouldn't take it as such...

I can't even believe you went there...

#26 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,474 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

....sorry, try again.

Hurney is the guy that puts the contract offers together.

#27 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

You are 100% correct factually, but it's worth noting that their record was worse in 2006 at 8-8 than it was in 2005 at 11-5 and they only made the playoffs in 2006 because they beat the 5-10 Redskins which knocked Carolina OUT of the playoffs.
He also removed playcalling duties from his OC Hufnagel (SP) in 2006 then canned him as well I believe and promoted Gilbride to OC for 2007. Part of beign a good HC to me, the part that is seldom talked about, is the ability to recognize and develop/hire good assistants.

Gilbride was their QBs coach previously I think. Yea, though, developing assistants is definitely a good trait of a head coach. Almost all current head coaches can trace their lineage back to Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh, and Marty Schottenheimer. New England and Philly have been known to be coach factories more recently.

#28 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

And in fairness, I think that Gilbride was a SB OC with the Bills before he even worked for Coughlin.
Reid is from Holmgren who is from Walsh, so I would technically put the Philly guys like Gruden, Mariucci, etc. in the Walsh tree. I think Holmgren might merit his own branch though based on the amount of coaches in GB he had who went on to HC positions. Same goes for Belichick who is from the Marchibroda tree (if any...can't recall who else is on that one at the moment....lol).

#29 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

Fox is fiercely loyal, which is the only thing I can assume about him wanting to keep Trgovac and hoping that new assistants would help.

and yeah, the guys who yell and scream and throw people under the bus are the ones who get fired, then get trashed in the media for a month like Jon Gruden. Fox not telling you exactly what you want to hear doesn't mean he doesn't hold players accountable.

#30 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

And in fairness, I think that Gilbride was a SB OC with the Bills before he even worked for Coughlin.
Reid is from Holmgren who is from Walsh, so I would technically put the Philly guys like Gruden, Mariucci, etc. in the Walsh tree. I think Holmgren might merit his own branch though based on the amount of coaches in GB he had who went on to HC positions. Same goes for Belichick who is from the Marchibroda tree (if any...can't recall who else is on that one at the moment....lol).

Coaching trees can be weird, because a lot of times the lineages are interchangeable. One guy could've worked under two different coaches, therefore, he could appear under two different trees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.