275 replies to this topic

#61 PanthersPhan18

PanthersPhan18

(0Y0)

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Peyton Manning would have looked like poo with what we had last year...

Nah, Manning's the exception.....the older one that is.

#62 outlaw4

outlaw4

Winning Cures Everything

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

I'd like to be optimistic about Clausen but my main concern is that the damage has already been done. Ideally, he would had sat last season to allow him to catch up to the speed of the NFL and allow his foot to completely heal while Moore took care of the team. Now, it's a possibility that Clausen will develop David Carr-like symptoms that no amount of coaching can fix.

On the other hand, he may be able to put this season behind him and become successful. I'm not sure how often that happens in this league, though. My gut feeling is that he'll end up like Alex Smith of the 49ers, awful first season, has his moments but always falls back to earth.

#63 Pox 08

Pox 08

Luck of the Fryrish

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Those that already consider Clausen a bust, think too much in black and white. Nothing about the Panthers outside of the horrible coaching last year should be considered black and white.

#64 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

:lol:

There are two types of people on this board.

People that have faith in Jimmy Clausen.

And People who have never watched 1 minute of football in their lives.

The two cannot exist together.

See, I can do it too.

This is more like it!

#65 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

Yes, but yours is laughable.

The wait and see approach is the only approach that any reasonable football fan would make right now.

I think if you look at him independent of the team and independent of results, you can see what HE brings to the NFL. With the physical tools he has, it's harder to become successful than someone who has better tools. He has a longer road and most people with his tools don't succeed in the NFL. His style of play hasn't changed in any years he's played since his freshman year in HS, his supporting cast just had far superior talent in his good seasons.

All else equal, he can't get it done.

#66 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

is anyone sold on him as the QB? is anyone so pro-clausen that they are confident that he will be able to turn it around and become a really good QB for us?

if you aren't (which it is apparent that rivera isn't), then you look for other options. clausen showed no growth during the year. any improvement that was made last year was microscopic. the situation was bad, but all of his many shortcomings was a huge part of the problem.

i saw nothing in his play to inspire confidence in his ability. did anyone see anything on the sidelines or in his interactions with other players to make you think he could make this team his? did you see any sparks of leadership there? did you see any chemistry between him and anyone on this team? the problem goes beyond his play on the field. i saw no confidence in him from anyone and i didn't see him do anything to deserve it other than not throw more than 1 INT in a game.

if luck were coming out in the draft, imo we would have no choice but to draft him. because there is such a weakness in this draft class and FA class at QB, then we have very little choice but to go with him again. if we start him again, it's because we had no other options worth a crap.

of course new coaching staff and an offseason with him as starter and an offense built with him in mind might bring about different results, but i am far from confident that we will see a markeable difference.

#67 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,497 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

when you show little to no growth in 10 games than something is wrong.the jury is still out, but we need a good back up plan.

#68 Pox 08

Pox 08

Luck of the Fryrish

• HUDDLER
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I think if you look at him independent of the team and independent of results, you can see what HE brings to the NFL. With the physical tools he has, it's harder to become successful than someone who has better tools. He has a longer road and most people with his tools don't succeed in the NFL. His style of play hasn't changed in any years he's played since his freshman year in HS, his supporting cast just had far superior talent in his good seasons.

All else equal, he can't get it done.

Couldn't the same thing be said for a lot of young Qbs though? Both in college and in Pros? (Pros for example) Ryan/Flacco/Rodgers/Sanchez... All inherited great talent, or, their teams went out and picked up great FAs their rookie year, to help them. All have found success in the nfl.

We don't know how they'd perform on a team as disorganized as the '10 Panthers were. Or how Clausen would perform on a team like the Falcons/Ravens/Jets/Packers. In no way am I comparing Clausen to the Qbs I mentioned above, just situations or a lack thereof.

#69 CarolinaCatBrigade

CarolinaCatBrigade

She likes my Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

With a new offensive system in place. WR's coming into training camp with at least 1 years worth of experience in the NFL. Healthy offensive line, and a healthy backfield. I honestly believe Clausen will be a solid game manager. I think he will regain his confidence, because Rivera is an inspirational leader, and Rivera will bring in the coaches necessary to get the best out of Clausen. Probably the biggest issue with Clausen is his mentality, he needs to gain confidence and experience to progress. He can deliver some heat on the ball at times (I believe largely due to his time in the pocket and confidence in his arm/WR). He can also be extremely jumpy in the pocket, and is easily rattled in the pocket. That can all be fixed through coaching/experience. He needs to improve on his accuracy, but I believe that can be fixed with an improvement in pocket presence, which is also coachable. He doesn't seem very charismatic and doesn't show leadership quality. But given 2 more seasons I think he will be a solid game manager and might even turn out to be "good".

Only time will tell.

#70 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

hmm why not fine Clausen everytime he throws the ball away or fine the OL every time Jimmy is sacked.

#71 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,404 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

3rd year.

Ya draft a qb, ya let him get use to nfl defenses, the flow of games, and ownership of the playbook.

Then he stands a chance, and can be evaluated.

There was a reason that many of us fans, didn't want clausen to even see the field this last season. Its called player developement. Every player goes through it. Ask Manning.

Newer fans seems to have no concept of this. Understandable, as there have been a few qbs that have played decent in their first year. Now they think every qb should be able to.

Haven't given up on clausen, and I won't. I do hope we bring back moore and another vet, so clausen can sit and learn. Then one day, he may be a starter in this league.

#72 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

an offense built with him in mind

this is the biggest thing i'd like to see...

has anyone noticed a difference in our passing play calling from Delhomme to Moore to Clausen...? i'm not saying this could turn him into a stud, but it could result in some more positive play from the kid. i don't think he had ANY help from ANYone last season... players, coaches, etc.

#73 Jpjr

Jpjr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Clausen will be expotentially better next year. Whether you think he couldn't get any worse, or you see the potential... you should all agree.

When I think about Clausen I keep coming back to two very relevant observations...

1. One year ago when he played head-to-head against Andrew Luck/Stanford in his last college football game, there was absolutely no one in the crowd, announcing booth, sideline, whatever, that had any doubt who the better quarterback was at the time. Go back and watch the tape, look at the stats, read the storylines, whatever....The point is how fast perceptions can change. In the course of one year many think Clausen is an outright bust and Andrew Luck is all of the sudden Chuck Norris. The truth is that we won't know about either for years.

I agree with most that Luck might have managed a little bit better with Carolina's terrible offense given his superior physical attributes, but that would in no way indicate his future success in the NFL. Same goes with Clausen. The role of quarterback is a thinking man's game and it takes years to become "proficient". Aaron Rogers is not the quarterback today that he was five years ago. Neither is Drew Brees. Size takes a big back seat to quick decision making over time so I don't think you sell off Clausen just because he isn't tall.

2. Anyone who watched the Seahawks/Rams game knows just how close all the rookie QBs are in development. Bradford completed ONE pass the entire game > 10 yards, and it was for 12 yards. By the end of the season Clausen was throwing downfield as or more successfully than the soon to be offensive rookie of the year. As Bradford showed this season, a rookie is capable of dinking and dunking 5 yards passes and having it add up to 3000 yards in a season. Does that tell me Bradford will be a Super Bowl MVP QB? Absolutely not. It tells me the guy has a great arm, and can hit timing routes pretty accurately at home and indoors. But his decision making is no further along than Clausen or McCoys.

I guess I could have skipped my usual rhetoric and simply said "the jury is out" and that Zod is right. I'll do that next time...

#74 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

Couldn't the same thing be said for a lot of young Qbs though? Both in college and in Pros? (Pros for example) Ryan/Flacco/Rodgers/Sanchez... All inherited great talent, or, their teams went out and picked up great FAs their rookie year, to help them. All have found success in the nfl.

We don't know how they'd perform on a team as disorganized as the '10 Panthers were. Or how Clausen would perform on a team like the Falcons/Ravens/Jets/Packers. In no way am I comparing Clausen to the Qbs I mentioned above, just situations or a lack thereof.

They all put up good numbers in college as well without superior talent. That's the difference. We know they have the ability to make plays. You've seen Clausen's ability compared to them if you watched any of them in college and any of them in the NFL. Comparing them is very disrespectful.

Also, all those guys have far better physical tools than Clausen does. Far better. I know as a fanbase most of you don't want to waste 2 second round picks in one year but there is no point in "giving" him another shot. If he goes into camp and earns it that's fine but to say he deserves another shot is ludicrous.

#75 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

Let's list Clausen's positives:

1. Not afraid to throw away the ball. Even on 3rd down with the game on the line.
2. Only took roughly 8 games to handle snaps from Kalil.

Negatives:

1. Makes Moore look like the Hulk in terms of arm strength.
2. Accuracy is all over the place.
3. Short but throws 3/4 because he's cool like that. Likes to drill DTs in the head with his passes.
4. Terrified of the pass rush, rarely steps into a pocket, prefers to wet himself and run screaming for the sideline.
5. Emotional equivalent of an ottoman while on the field.
6. Only comfortable throwing the long ball when defender is 10 yards off or in the parking lot.

Call me crazy guys but we can build on this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.