#76 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,533 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

I have no problem with giving him another shot under a new coach.

I'm not confident, mind you, but I agree with the notion.

#77 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Let's get one thing straight. Clausen sucked balls all season. He didn't have one game that showed promise. He played scared and he didn't show leadership. And he was so unbelievably scared to throw deep because he might get a another wittle INT on wittle baby stat sheet. Even by rookie standards he was terrible. The rest of the offense can only take so much blame. Moore had less consistency on the offensive line and was at least able to get the offense charged and moving.

That said Jimmy has no where to go but up. I think he will be better and he should expect to be better. The same people that say he has no talent are the one's that thought he was the next Peyton Manning last season. The QB position is no longer about physical skills. It's not about how far you can throw. It's your timing, your ability to read the defense, and your accuracy. Physical talent does not mean a thing at this position anymore unless you are Mike Vick.

I wish Jimmy luck next season. But if any of you think that he got shafted this season or he got it bad, then please, that is nothing compared to the bag of poo that was given in confidence to Matt Moore.

#78 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

They all put up good numbers in college as well without superior talent. That's the difference. We know they have the ability to make plays. You've seen Clausen's ability compared to them if you watched any of them in college and any of them in the NFL. Comparing them is very disrespectful.

Also, all those guys have far better physical tools than Clausen does. Far better. I know as a fanbase most of you don't want to waste 2 second round picks in one year but there is no point in "giving" him another shot. If he goes into camp and earns it that's fine but to say he deserves another shot is ludicrous.

People should go watch some of Clausen's college hilights. When he has lots of time and an open WR he can make a throw. Transitioning to the NFL means getting the ball through a needle eye to a WR with two guys hanging over him and the pocket collapsing.

He can't do it

#79 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,537 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

There are two types of people on this board.

Those who know for sure that Clausen is a bust.

And those with actual football knowledge.

These two traits cannot exist in the same person.

Plain and simple, the jury is still out on Clausen. No one knows what he is capable of within a legit NFL offense and adequate coaching. To pretend otherwise just makes you look like a football ignoramus.

just to reiterate..

This isn't about having faith in Clausen.. this isn't about Clausen being a pro QB.. this isn't about Clausen being OUR QB next year.. Clausen could have looked like he had ABSOLUTELY never played QB before in his life and that's irrelevant to whether he'll improve or not..

none of that has anything to do with the situation at hand..

it's very simply, you cannot judge a ROOKIE QB off of one year. Exponentially so with the situation that occurred this past year..

He may not be anything close to a good QB in 3 years.. but no one with football knowledge is going to make an asinine statement like that because they put all factors together.

Let me spell out the equation: Rookie QB (2-3 years before ready) + incompetent coaching staff = what you saw last year.. if anyone disregards any part of that equation, then quite simply, you are a tool who everyone is tired of listening to all the outrageous poo you spout off day after day, nevermind the topic..

I also want to point out that any idea that states "we'll give him one more year to play" or "he is our QB for one more year" is just as inaccurate.. he should not see the field for 2 more years unless he is our absolute last resort. This is called a period of transition into the NFL. One that all rookies need, especially ROOKIE QBs..

if you think 1 more year is justification enough that you tried to coach up the rookie and he sucks, then you still don't get it..

#80 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

I still think he ends up as a backup at best in the NFL - but I agree he deserves a shot under a different coach / offensive system.

#81 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I still think he ends up as a backup at best in the NFL - but I agree he deserves a shot under a different coach / offensive system.

He doesn't deserve anything.

#82 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Clausen's toast, end of story. Physically he can't compete. Maybe when he finishes puberty.

#83 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

The issues I have with Clausen are more centered on what his physical tools are that he is bringing on the field versus how he is performing on the field. Because of those tools, if he is going to turn out to be a good quarterback, he is going to have a hell of a lot of work ahead of him, and our OC/QB coach will need to work hard at it. I think it is possible, though, and I do hope for the best. He did make HUGE strides in college from year to year, so maybe he can here too.

I think it's clear from this thread there really are more than "2 groups of people" when it comes to Clausen, and the vast majority of us expect him to get a shot in camp but sure as hell don't want him going in as our only option 'cause we don't think he's going to be able to do it.

Edited by mav1234, 12 January 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#84 mwright350

mwright350

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

He doesn't deserve anything.

Why not? Let the kid compete for his job - I do not believe there is a QB on the roster currently who will do better because of how awful our QB roster is.

You don't think he deserves a shot to keep his job given the current state of our QB roster? Really?

*edit for clarification*

I don't think he's going to be good - I'm really not confident he can hold onto the starting job for a full season. But I do think he absolutely deserves the chance to keep his job under an offensive system that doesn't have it's head up it's proverbial ass.

#85 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Lol what the hell. I just got positive rep but somehow I just lost like 12,000 rep power. Somebody's trying to keep me down haha.

#86 mwright350

mwright350

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Lol what the hell. I just got positive rep but somehow I just lost like 12,000 rep power. Somebody's trying to keep me down haha.

You clearly pissed off The Man ™ :eek:

#87 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

I feel like Matt Moore right now...

#88 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Why not? Let the kid compete for his job - I do not believe there is a QB on the roster currently who will do better because of how awful our QB roster is.

You don't think he deserves a shot to keep his job given the current state of our QB roster? Really?

*edit for clarification*

I don't think he's going to be good - I'm really not confident he can hold onto the starting job for a full season. But I do think he absolutely deserves the chance to keep his job under an offensive system that doesn't have it's head up it's proverbial ass.

No one deserves anything in the NFL, you have to earn it. And Moore is by far a better QB than Clausen, 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. He doesn't "deserve" to get another shot does he? He proved more than Clausen has but no one is taking up his case.

If he gets a shot to be the starter during camp it will be because he earned it, not deserved it.

#89 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

I dont pin last season on Clausen one bit. The entire offense was bad. Smitty dropped at least 10 balls, the oline sucked for the majority of the time, the run game wasnt as good as anticipated. This didnt just happen after Clausen took over either. I can understand drafting Luck if he were there, but it doesnt look like he is going to be. We are worse off at other positions than the QB.

Its not his skills that should worry us, but being able to command the huddle. That is where I question his ability.

#90 Neylus

Neylus

Limited Edition

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

WTF is rep??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com