11 teams have an elite QB - will not pick one early
5 teams have spent a 1st rounder in the last two years - will not pick early
7 teams have a decent and consistent vet - will not pick early
1 team has a young rookie who played well - will not pick early
1 team has a young borderline QB - could pick early
1 team has an over achieving vet - likely to pick early
6 teams have no established starters - will pick early

Essentially the questions to be asked are:

* Will Miami stick with Henne another year with a new OC?
* Did Gailey think enough of Fitzpatrick to keep him as their starter?

As there are only really 6 teams that need to pick in the top two rounds, they will be safe in the knowledge that they can pick another thinner position (relative, I think the QB class is weaker but more at a similar level) in round 1, then go QB in round 2.

Since 2006 there has been an average of:
* 2.4 draft in the 1st
* 1.8 drafted in the 2nd
* 1 drafted in the 3rd

Since 2006 there has never been more than 3 QBs drafted in the 1st round and never more than 5 taken in the first 2 rounds.

So on average we should expect either the 4th or 5th best QB to be available at the top of the 3rd. There are on average 11.25 QBs picked in the draft since 2006.

I think having 11 elite QBs in the league is an overstatement and misuse of the word.

#152 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

I think having 11 elite QBs in the league is an overstatement and misuse of the word.

Misuse of the word really. Essentially I meant, players who are considered 'franchise' QBs and are playing well. Just needed a shorter way of saying it.

You really do pick on tiny things people say rather than thinking about the overall content.

#153 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

If 5 QBs are drafted in the first 2 rounds we're already out of all decent projected prospects and knee deep into a great of people who have a lot of unknowns, barring combine workouts.

There's really only a "top 4 QB prospects" in this draft. There's a dropoff after that.

I should have said "I could see all 4 going in the first/second round", rather than the top 5, because I'm not sold who that fifth is exactly, haha.

#154 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

If 5 QBs are drafted in the first 2 rounds we're already out of all decent projected prospects and knee deep into a great of people who have a lot of unknowns, barring combine workouts.

There's really only a "top 4 QB prospects" in this draft. There's a dropoff after that.

I should have said "I could see all 4 going in the first/second round", rather than the top 5, because I'm not sold who that fifth is exactly, haha.

Well if 5 are picked in the first two rounds, then that is beyond the averages. Usually at the start of the third round the 4th or 5th QB is picked.

Of the declared players Gabbert, Locker and Mallett are considered 1st round prospects. Cam Newton would likely slide in there as well, or early 2nd.

In 2010 Bradford, Clausen 1st round, The Golden Calf of Bristol and McCoy rated as 1st-2nd round QB prospects, Pike 2-3rd round.

In 2009 Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman were all rated 1st round, White 2nd round.

In 2008 Ryan & Brohm were rated 1st round, Henne 1st-2nd round, Flacco 2nd, Woodson 2-3rd, Josh Johnson 3rd.

Other than 2009 each draft saw highly rated prospects drop a round at least.

If I were to guess, Gabbert will go top 10, Locker will go top 20, Newton will be touch and go at either late first or early to mid second. Mallett would likely drop. There is still Ponder who is rated a 3rd round prospect even if none of the others drop.

#155 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Misuse of the word really. Essentially I meant, players who are considered 'franchise' QBs and are playing well. Just needed a shorter way of saying it.

You really do pick on tiny things people say rather than thinking about the overall content.

Those are important details though. I understood your point but I just can't let stuff like that go. Maybe I'm OCD about QBs but there are maybe 5-6 elite QBs and a few other good ones. Most are just average but look better or worse based on situations around them and players around them.

#156 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,294 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

I have never heard of Gabbert until Luck didn't declare

#157 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

How much do you pay attention to college quarterbacks? He was getting some press when Mizzou was undefeated earlier in the year and he has been one of the top QBs the last two years, tho obviously much lower last year.

#158 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

http://www.cbssports...players/1630777

#159 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,294 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

Not much but usually during the offseason you hear about the top choices. I heard about Newton, Mallett, Locker, and Luck. Now that Luck didn't declare, suddenly this asshole's name pops up and he's suddenly better than the other 3 (not including Luck) that had gotten more attention.

#160 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Not much but usually during the offseason you hear about the top choices. I heard about Newton, Mallett, Locker, and Luck. Now that Luck didn't declare, suddenly this asshole's name pops up and he's suddenly better than the other 3 (not including Luck) that had gotten more attention.

Almost no-one thought Gabbert would declare this year for whatever reason. He was in the conversation, but he was below Mallett, Locker, and Luck. Locker was expected to keep pace with Luck and show he would be a franchise guy, with Mallett as the big risk/reward guy, and Gabbert was the steady guy nobody really expected to come out so soon. I personally heard absolutely nothing about Newton when it comes to draft stock this last offseason so maybe it's a regional difference?

#161 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

For the record I can't stand his passes. Everything is looped, asking to be jumped upon. Even short passes have a little loop to them even when in traffic. Only time his passes look like they belong is when he is heaving it. He also seems to have slow footwork, despite the benefit of always starting in the shotgun.

#162 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

For the record I can't stand his passes. Everything is looped, asking to be jumped upon. Even short passes have a little loop to them even when in traffic. Only time his passes look like they belong is when he is heaving it. He also seems to have slow footwork, despite the benefit of always starting in the shotgun.

His passes have some arch on them, yeah, but the weird thing is that his sophmore year one of the critiques of him was that he was gunning balls in too hard.

His footwork does need work, though. It's not as bad as it could be though, he is able to sidestep pressure some of the time, but he really is not good at stepping up in the pocket just yet.

I don't see him as ending up as a Carolina Panther.

#163 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

His passes have some arch on them, yeah, but the weird thing is that his sophmore year one of the critiques of him was that he was gunning balls in too hard.

His footwork does need work, though. It's not as bad as it could be though, he is able to sidestep pressure some of the time, but he really is not good at stepping up in the pocket just yet.

I don't see him as ending up as a Carolina Panther.

Pretty much agree with what you have said there. There certainly is more zip on the ball this year it appears.

It's difficult to really see how he translates, but he doesn't have the poise to stand in the pocket and is always looking to get out as soon as people get near him.

He does try and get it out very quickly, however a ton of passes are short dump offs, I am just not sure how much of an upgrade he would be.

I am not ruling anything out, but if we did pick him, it would simply be desperation to have a 'franchise QB' on the roster.

#164 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

Pretty much agree with what you have said there. There certainly is more zip on the ball this year it appears.

It's difficult to really see how he translates, but he doesn't have the poise to stand in the pocket and is always looking to get out as soon as people get near him.

He does try and get it out very quickly, however a ton of passes are short dump offs, I am just not sure how much of an upgrade he would be.

I am not ruling anything out, but if we did pick him, it would simply be desperation to have a 'franchise QB' on the roster.

The majority of his passes are short because that is how his offense actually works. He runs a short passing offense where he dinks and dunks until the defense moves up and then he takes shots deep. He is not afraid to go deep and he does have a decent deep ball (there are a ton of highlights of those passes). However, if you're throwing ~40 throws a game, a lot of them are going to be underneath... and his are. Saying his passes are all dumpoffs is a bit misleading because it is not as if he is standing in the pocket, scrambling out and throwing to a running back 3 feet in front of him... Many of the plays are 6-7 yard routes or types of screens save for when he goes deep

His major upgrade over Clausen IMO is in the area of intangibles and mechanics. Whether that's worth a first rounder or not is a discussion in and of itself, but I do think he has the pieces to become a great starter... the question is where he lands and who is there to develop him. He is going to go in the first round, though, and he could go quite high if his combine and workouts go as expected... also, a good wonderlic score would help him.... how much it really matters in the NFL is a debate for another day haha

#165 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,966 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

I think any QB projected to go in the draft will bust if picked near the top. The teams are too bad to support a rookie QB.

These QBs are not that good. All of them have red flags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com