Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tweeder

National Signing Day Thread

85 posts in this topic

Oh, I see. So according to you, if UNC gets in the top ten, it will only be because the country wants it that way, and will have nothing to do with how they play. Whatever dude, you just keep on believing that.

I'm talking about finishing in the top ten anyway, not pre season rankings, predictions or polls. I really don't put a lot of stock in those anyway. And again, I'm talking about finishing in the top ten sometime in the next 2-3 years, not this year.

No, obviously any team that gets there deserves it for the most part but if UNC and NCSU have the same record heading into their matchup at the end of the year then UNC will be ranked higher. I would be willing to put money on it. You don't hear anyone saying that NCSU is a sleeping giant of football do you? Why do you think that is? Its because you can make more money off of marketing a team like UNC than you can a team like NCSU because of the bandwagon fans that they already have. UNC was as high as 12th or 15th last year..you cannot actually tell me that you believe they were that good.

Just as an example...Wake Forest was ranked 9-1 with their only loss to Clemson (#15) and they never got higher than 14th. Conversely, last year UNC was 5-2 and was ranked 15th. There is a clear bias that wants UNC to be at the top because they are UNC. You just can't deny the love affair that the country has with that school. I can't explain it but you can't deny it either..

No, obviously any team that gets there deserves it for the most part but if UNC and NCSU have the same record heading into their matchup at the end of the year then UNC will be ranked higher. I would be willing to put money on it. You don't hear anyone saying that NCSU is a sleeping giant of football do you? Why do you think that is? Its because you can make more money off of marketing a team like UNC than you can a team like NCSU because of the bandwagon fans that they already have. UNC was as high as 12th or 15th last year..you cannot actually tell me that you believe they were that good.

Just as an example...Wake Forest was ranked 9-1 with their only loss to Clemson (#15) and they never got higher than 14th. Conversely, last year UNC was 5-2 and was ranked 15th. There is a clear bias that wants UNC to be at the top because they are UNC. You just can't deny the love affair that the country has with that school. I can't explain it but you can't deny it either..

I can honestly say that I've never ever heard of there being a national bias for UNC football. I think you're off your meds.

I can honestly say that I've never ever heard of there being a national bias for UNC football. I think you're off your meds.

National bias for UNC as a whole...are you kidding me? It doesn't have to be just football...All it has to say is UNC on the shirt and it will sell on the east coast.

there is a level of respect/bias towards Carolina, but I think there is a more respect/bias towards Butch which gave them a higher ranking with 2 loses.

I can see it a little bit in basketball, but football? No way.

For the vast majority of my lifetime, UNC has been largely ignored outside of ACC country, so if BD is bringing us a little more respect and credibility, so be it....we're overdue as far as I'm concerned. I seriously doubt that it's gonna make any difference in the polls though, unless they prove themselves on the field.

As far as why people aren't talking about State being a "sleeping giant"...why in the hell would they? They were a 6 win team, and nobody outside of NC cares that they beat UNC.

I can see it a little bit in basketball, but football? No way.

For the vast majority of my lifetime, UNC has been largely ignored outside of ACC country, so if BD is bringing us a little more respect and credibility, so be it....we're overdue as far as I'm concerned. I seriously doubt that it's gonna make any difference in the polls though, unless they prove themselves on the field.

As far as why people aren't talking about State being a "sleeping giant"...why in the hell would they? They were a 6 win team, and nobody outside of NC cares that they beat UNC.

You made a couple of ridiculous statements. First, UNC being ignored outside of the ACC is absolutely ridiculous. I have been to other countries and have seen UNC sweatshirts and hats. In New York/Chicago/Boston there are about as many UNC shirts as there are Giants/Bears/Pats hats. So them being overlooked outside of the ACC is a preposterous statement.

Secondly...how can you argue for UNC being a sleeping giant when #1 they lose to NCSU and #2 People were calling UNC a sleeping football giant when John Bunting was there (multiple under .500 seasons). Thats my point...what makes UNC a sleeping giant anymore than NC State or Wake?? Answer: Outsiders Bias...

Well for starters...

4 very impressive wins to close out the regular season (Duke, Wake, UNC, Miami)

3 very competitive, 4th quarter losses before the 4 game winning streak (BC, Florida State, Maryland)

Returning 8 or 9 starters on offense

Returning 6 or 7 defensive starters

Getting our most talented receiver back from injury (Donald Bowens, who missed all of 2008 with a spinal injury)

and who can forget...

Russell Wilson.. 1st team All-ACC quarterback... as a freshman.

Tell me this, besides losing 3 of their last 4 (and barely surviving Duke as that one win), losing, oh, 90% of your offense in Nicks and Tate, and of course, having to depend on 10 or so redshirt or true freshmen to get extensive playing time, why should Carolina be considered one of the favorites to win the ACC?

Well for starters...

4 very impressive wins to close out the regular season (Duke, Wake, UNC, Miami)

3 very competitive, 4th quarter losses before the 4 game winning streak (BC, Florida State, Maryland)

Returning 8 or 9 starters on offense

Returning 6 or 7 defensive starters

Getting our most talented receiver back from injury (Donald Bowens, who missed all of 2008 with a spinal injury)

and who can forget...

Russell Wilson.. 1st team All-ACC quarterback... as a freshman.

Tell me this, besides losing 3 of their last 4 (and barely surviving Duke as that one win), losing, oh, 90% of your offense in Nicks and Tate, and of course, having to depend on 10 or so redshirt or true freshmen to get extensive playing time, why should Carolina be considered one of the favorites to win the ACC?

You said it yourself, Wilson as a freshman last year, he's a talented kid. Those red shirts/freshmen for unc are very talented kids as well. Our defense will be one of the best defenses in the league and will probably lead the NCAA in INTs again. Though we wont really be relying on as many new players starting next season. 16 returning starters. 9 of 11 on defense are returning, One being a jr. The other spot will be a Freshmen or red shirts.

On offense Unc has 7 returning starters, Two other spots are took by a Jr. and a Sr. 2 spots on a poor Oline going to red shirts/ freshmen. (should actually be better on the line because of that) Other 2 spots being WR. Dwight Jones being one of those, the other player being Joshua adams. Add Boyd and Little to that Wr group and we are pretty good at our second biggest weakness next season.

I think UNC is considered as sleeping giant because there are few schools Michigan, Florida, Texas, UCLA and a few more, that should be able to be very successful in both sports. Not many can do it, and a few more should, that don't.

I think UNC is considered as sleeping giant because there are few schools Michigan, Florida, Texas, UCLA and a few more, that should be able to be very successful in both sports. Not many can do it, and a few more should, that don't.

So what you're saying that UNC is considered a sleeping giant because the nation wants more schools to be good at both football and basketball? Hmm... sounds about like what unicar15 was talking about when mentioning outsiders bias...