Photo
- - - - -

McDermott is the new Panthers DC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
159 replies to this topic

#151 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

Im not so worried about what he has done as much as what he will do.. Im biased, I think Panthers' D is well above Philly's. If the players are better, wouldnt that make the DC seem that much better? Ive heard people say that we cant judge Jimmy with the situation he had this season, same is true here, no? McDermott now has better weapons to utilize, its not going to be the same result. I think its more about his attitude, philosophy, and how he does his job than his accomplishments that brought him here...

Seriously, if youre not excited about the new era coming in, you should probably go back to your old team...The next season should be alot of fun to watch...

#152 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

I've been perusing Iggles forums and even a large portion of Eagles fans agree that McDerm was hurt by a lack of talent.
Of course you've always got the homer clowns who believe Philly has one of the most talented D's in the league, but it's easy to tell who those are and throw their opinions out.
A knock on MCDerm was apparently that his schemes were "too complex"

Whatever.

#153 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

A knock on MCDerm was apparently that his schemes were "too complex"

You could argue the flipside: Players too dumb.

The Pats always pursue smart players because that's what allows their schemes to be flexible. I suspect we'll start doing the same.

#154 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

You could argue the flipside: Players too dumb.

The Pats always pursue smart players because that's what allows their schemes to be flexible. I suspect we'll start doing the same.

The Pats pursuing players that can play multiple positions (and occasionally, even both sides of the ball) is something about them I've liked, so I'd love for us to start taking that approach.
It certainly looks like we're going to try to.

#155 fitty76

fitty76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

I'm from Philly. He's a young and up and coming DC. But his last two years with the Eagles have been bad. (Granted he didn't have the talent that Jim Johnson had). But I think most of the defensive schemes will go through Riviera anyway.

#156 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

I've seen some Eagle fans who believe Reid has chosen a lot of scapegoats in his time.

Is that valid? Don't know, but it's been talked about.

#157 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Im not so worried about what he has done as much as what he will do.. Im biased, I think Panthers' D is well above Philly's. If the players are better, wouldnt that make the DC seem that much better? Ive heard people say that we cant judge Jimmy with the situation he had this season, same is true here, no? McDermott now has better weapons to utilize, its not going to be the same result. I think its more about his attitude, philosophy, and how he does his job than his accomplishments that brought him here...

Seriously, if youre not excited about the new era coming in, you should probably go back to your old team...The next season should be alot of fun to watch...

Unlike Clausen, McDermmott has been in the NFL for a while. Personnel wise both team are pretty even. We have a better LB core, they have a better D-line and an about even secondary.

#158 Neylus

Neylus

Limited Edition

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

Please don't flame me here but I have a question after reading all of the overwhelmingly positive posts in this thread about McDermott. What is the positivity based on? We all know about his fairly unsuccessful tenure with Philly and I get that his players were injured allot but isn’t that the case with our team (and most) throughout the year? I guess I just want to know what he has done as opposed to what he might have done.

I admittedly know little of him so I am looking for those reasons to be as excited as so many of you are.

#159 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Please don't flame me here but I have a question after reading all of the overwhelmingly positive posts in this thread about McDermott. What is the positivity based on? We all know about his fairly unsuccessful tenure with Philly and I get that his players were injured allot but isn’t that the case with our team (and most) throughout the year? I guess I just want to know what he has done as opposed to what he might have done.

I admittedly know little of him so I am looking for those reasons to be as excited as so many of you are.

The main reason is based on the style of defence he brings, it appeals to alot of fans and its a big change from what has been here.
Also he worked under a great definsive coordinator in Johnson.

He hasnt shown a whole lot in the past two years. But its to of a short time to truly get a feel for who he is.

Edited by MaineManPanther, 18 January 2011 - 01:56 PM.

#160 PanteraPhenom

PanteraPhenom

• Pip
ROOKIE

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

It's not like our new DC has a lot to build on. The secondary is not as bad as people think Captain Munnerlyn is alot better at CB than people think. Our safety's are both great coverage safety's who can tackle. Our linebackers are one of the best in the league with James Anderson as a rising star, Jon Beason who can make the Pro Bowl every year, and Thomas Davis who can be a solid linebacker if he stays healthy. (which he usually does). Our Defensive Line is the only thing he really needs to work on. Drafting Nick Fairley will make a huge difference if you watched the Oregon vs Auburn game (Im an oregon fan I live in Eugene, OR). If you watched it you can see that he has alot of potential sacking a Oregon team twice that rarely got sacked all year.