Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting to know the Jim Johnson 4-3

134 posts in this topic

Posted

Interesting thoughts on Beason. I didn't think he played all that well at weakside - at least not compared to his play in the middle - last year, but I realize this is a different scheme. I'm guessing if they feel like he would fit best on the outside, that's where he'll be.

I was thinking while reading that, though, that both of our safeties look perfect for this scheme - at least on paper.

Posted

I'm just excited for something new and a more aggressive defense.

Posted

Alot depends on FA ,but in general I don't see the FO using an early draft pick/big FA singing on our deepest position. At least not this year.

Besides the defence doesn't depend on MLB size. In 2007 the Eagles had a top ten defence, who was sixth in run and 9th in sacks. And that was with Omar Gaither who is nearly the exact size of Beason.

Personally I think Rivera and McDermott will adjust the defence to take advantage of the players we have. But as of right now anything is possible.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think Beason has the kind of ability to negate any sort of size disadvantage he may be at. But again, if it's that big of an issue I imagine they'll move him outside and bring in someone larger to play in the middle.

Posted

I swore I was reading a Mr Scot post... had to double check the name... great read.

I'm excited for change.

Posted

Good post, I am really looking forward to see how we use Beason and if we keep TD how he will fit in as well

Posted

don't think we move beason from the middle IMO. johnson just found a way to utilize trotter's skills. beason, anderson, & davis have the speed to cover alot of field & give us versatility in our zone blitz schemes.

Posted

Great post, but I think Beason is physical enough to be that inside run blitzer... although it may be a waste of his talents.

The real lesson Trotter provides is that JJ was resourceful enough to figure out how to use him in this scheme, rather then seeing him as limited and casting him off. I think that was one of Fox's fatal flaws, you either fit into to role he wanted you for or you sat/were gone. I suspect Rivera will be much more resourceful when it comes to the use of the personnel he has, just like JJ was.

Posted

I agree we might go bigger in the Middle, but hands down we have the talent for OLB's. I am still thinking we trade down a little and go D with the draft.

Posted

One thing that this shows me is that we need an NT or an aggressive big bodied DT. Hard to find someone like that.

Posted

also have to consider that our nickel d might be run out of the 3-4 most of the time. also the eagles had average dt play most of the time which is why they run blitzed as much as they did.